Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Record companies/media don't want to promote them

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I really don't know why.

But if I were to wager a guess, I would say it's a lot of different reasons working in tandem, and if I had to pick the reason with the most weight, I'd have to guess that it's because the rock audience, which is largely male -- especially when it comes to guitar-head type material -- isn't as receptive to a female guitar hero as they are to a male, which has a domino effect including record companies not looking to promote female guitar heroes and women not feeling encouraged to become female guitar heroes.

One person who comes to my mind is Chan Marshall. While she obviously is nowhere near a Hendrix or Malmsteen on the proficiency scale, what she does have is an unfathomably immaculate original style. She's basically Kurt Cobain combined with Varg Vikernes, she plays these simple bar chord rhythms but with a mastery of tone and reverb equal to Varg in skill and equal to Kurt in personality. And it's entirely her own, nobody else sounds anything like her.

I definitely think that Chan Marshall deserves to be considered a guitar god in the unique category Kurt and Varg fit into. The problem is, though, that, as good as Cat Power is, her music simply is not as "good" or accessible/commercial as Nirvana or Burzum. So while she may be an equally brilliant guitar player, she'll never be acknowledged as such, sort of the same way that Malmsteen and Vai get mad props from guitarheads but the general public will never consider them half as good as Jimmy Page or Van Halen.

If Chan's music was more accessible, would she be considered a guitar hero? That's something I can't know the answer to.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I voted "Record companies/media don't want to promote them". And I don't know if it's that they don't want to promote women as rock guitarists so much as they probably don't think there is a market for women rock guitarists. Personally I think women have better hand-eye coordination than men and make better musicians. But it's all about marketing and sales with the record companies.

Here's an example of some awesome coordination by a young lady.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't cast a vote since none of the options appealed to me, but there have been women pioneers in guitars, even electric guitars and they have been recognized. Dont any of you read Guitar World?

In 2003, Rolling Stone gave recognition to Joan Jett and Joni Mitchell in the top 100 greatest guitarists of all time. With Joni Mitchell at #72 and Joan Jett at #87. (google it if you dont believe me) Joni Mitchell ranked higher than Randy Rhoads on that list.

Another pioneer is Lita Ford. She can belt out a riff as good as any male in the business. For those of you who have forgotten, in 1988 she struck gold with her tune "Close My Eyes Forever".

and of course Nancy Wilson, whom has been mentioned already. The riff in "Barracuda" rivals any male in the music business. And another great guitarist whom has been mentioned, Bonnie Raitt, who is legendary for her slide skills.

And more recently, you have the Great Kat. The woman can shred. She is amazingly fast. She is listed in Guitar One magazine as one of the top shredders of all time, right next to Yngwie Malmsteen.

Women have just been slower to blossom and gain recognition. In the 60's women were not encouraged to step out of their lady-like roles and pound away on guitars. The guitar didn't begin to gain popularity in rock music until the late 50's early 60's.....and became a rock music mainstay in the 60's thanks to Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, and The Beatles.

So, it is fair to conclude that the women who are pioneers for the female guitarists have been around for 4 decades now (which is true of Nancy Wilson & Bonnie Raitt) almost as long as Jimmy Page. Women are now standing up, taking off that lady-like stereotype, and making names for themselves with their guitars. They are out there, you just have to listen!!!!

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I could swear I've seen Joan Jett on a list or two, though I could be wrong.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, Joan Jett has been on a couple lists ;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online