• Lack the natural talent/fortitude

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Record companies/media don't want to promote them

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Aero

Reaction score
So, Lack the natural talent/fortitude.

They don't lack the talent. They lack the ambition. Women guitarists in general don't dream about one day playing blistering guitar licks.

IMO, I think women see the guitar differently from a man. Men are more impressed by lead guitar than women are. No woman I know is impressed by amazing guitar playing. They may be impressed by how a man can play a guitar but the fact that a guy can play like Eddie Van Halen doesn't impress them any more. Thus, women guitar players don't strive to play like Eddie Van Halen.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Please name some women guitar players who are very well respected or that you think are great so maybe I can hear something I haven't before (no, I don't mean Nancy Wilson, Lita Ford or Chrissy Hind unless you think there might be something I've missed).

Very well respected?

Bonnie Raitt & Kelly Richie are great guitarists. Blues, rock, jazz it up some.

Metal? I'd put Jennifer Batten up alongside any gunslinger out there and she's not gonna be intimidated.

Oh, You spelled Hynde wrong.

Sorry. Normally I don't care about things like that, but your condescension towards our musical knowledge forced my hand.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
One of my favorite female guitarists, Samantha Escarbe from Virgin Black.

Samantha+Escarbe.jpg

@Aero: That's exactly what I always thought about Women and their approach to guitars :)

Khor1255

Reaction score
Condescension? You are saying Hynde, Binnie Rait etc are great guitarists up there with Hendrix, Page, Howe and even people like Gilmour?

As for Kelly Richie and Jennifer Batton I have never heard them so cannot comment. But I think the question wasn't 'why aren't there competent female guitarists' as much as it was 'why aren't there revolutionary female guitarists'?

Maybe I misunderstood the question though.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Condescension? You are saying Hynde, Binnie Rait etc are great guitarists up there with Hendrix, Page, Howe and even people like Gilmour?

I never said anything of the kind. You said name some female guitarists that are very well respected, and I did. I never compared them to anyone.

Then, you said:

Please name some women guitar players who are very well respected or that you think are great so maybe I can hear something I haven't before

So, I posted a couple of guitarists I think are really good, and you said:

As for Kelly Richie and Jennifer Batton I have never heard them so cannot comment.

Of course you can't comment. You haven't heard them. But didn't you just ask for guitarists you haven't heard?

But you're the one that said you've been around musicians most of your life. That's where the condescension comes in. It sounds like you consider yourself an authority on the subject, like you know more than the rest of us in here.

But you know what? I named 4 female guitarists, and you've never heard of 2 of them. Maybe you haven't been around musicians quite long enough.

If I'm reading it wrong, I apologize. But it sure sounds like condescension to me.

That's last you'll hear from me. This has the potential to be a really good discussion, and I'm not going to bring it down by arguing with someone.

runtfan

Reaction score
I'm not sure why 'sexism' would even be an option.

My guess is that there are a lot less women guitarists than men, thus...the chance of one of them being great is severely reduced.

That and maybe the fact that women don't look at the craft as something to master, but instead just a creative outlet.

These are two very good points. The percentage of male guitarists that distinguish themselves at all, let alone make anyone's top-anything list, is infinitessimally small and there's far more male guitarists than female.
Also agree with the second part of your statement concerning women ( although it's a generalization and there would, of course, be exceptions).

Khor1255

Reaction score
Khor1255
Vehicle
I never said anything of the kind. You said name some female guitarists that are very well respected, and I did. I never compared them to anyone.

Khor1255
You misunderstood me and it is my fault. I meant 'top 100' blah blah. I should have said great guitarists as in those who are always used as a reference or that at least someone here thinks deserves to be.

Vehicle
Then, you said:

Originally Posted by Khor1255 View Post
Please name some women guitar players who are very well respected or that you think are great so maybe I can hear something I haven't before

Vehicle
So, I posted a couple of guitarists I think are really good, and you said:

Khor1255
As for Kelly Richie and Jennifer Batton I have never heard them so cannot comment.

Vehicle
Of course you can't comment. You haven't heard them. But didn't you just ask for guitarists you haven't heard?

But you're the one that said you've been around musicians most of your life. That's where the condescension comes in. It sounds like you consider yourself an authority on the subject, like you know more than the rest of us in here.
No, I just meant that even amateur guitar players I have heard have this same dynamic going on. There may be good female guitar players but rarely great and never exceptional ones. It really does ind of blow my mind and I've honestly wondered why that is. But if you want to read something else in to that then be my guest.

Vehicle
But you know what? I named 4 female guitarists, and you've never heard of 2 of them. Maybe you haven't been around musicians quite long enough.
Maybe not because clearly those names must be ones I should be well aware of.

Vehicle
If I'm reading it wrong, I apologize. But it sure sounds like condescension to me.

That's last you'll hear from me. This has the potential to be a really good discussion, and I'm not going to bring it down by arguing with someone.
I've told you before, I have a much thiker skin (or harder head) than that. You aren't offending me in the least so please carry on.

Nora

Reaction score
I voted for the first option ''Sexism, people don't want to see, or believe it''. I think there some awesome female guitarists like Katherine Thomas AKA The Great Kat. She's a beast on guitar.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
There are definitely some awe inspiring female guitar players coming up in the new world. Don't believe it.... watch this video and check out Taylor 13 ( and the rest )...don't think girls were really interested in playing this aggressively back in the day. And lets face it musical ability is not in the forefront of todays music media...it's all about dumbed down tripe for mass consumption.

These types of acts don't get mainstream attention but the talent is there and technical ability has grown in leaps and bounds since the late 60's and 70's when musical innovated music was respected by the masses..or atleast a good portion of it,anyway.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online