What kind of music did your parents listen to?

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
My mom was into Englebert Humperdink, John Denver and Neil Diamond. My dad was into Connie Francis. My mom and I found common ground on Kansas. I recall she liked All The World from Masque. With me, a Deep Purple fan and her being a Neil Diamond fan she wasn't too fond of the former's version of Kentucky Woman though. She rolled here eyes and sarcastically said "Oh that's lovely" when Blackmore took his solo. I do get into Neil occasionally.

willg54

Reaction score
mom and dad liked old 40's jazz, big band stuff. My mom, however, did like some of the more soft rock ballads of the 60's. I used to make her come into my room sometimes and listen to stuff like Jimi Hendrix and Steppenwolf and Traffic, among others. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure she just listened 'cause she loved me so much, huh?!?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Rock!!

In college my mom was rocking out to J. Geils Band BLOW YOUR FACE OUT and my dad was jammin' with The Stones, Zep, Ten Years After, Mott The Hoople, The Doors, and etc.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Mom and Dad split.
Mom liked mostly Top 40 but was also caught up in the times enough that she introduced me to Love, The Doors and, most importantly 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits'
she used to indulge me with a trip every birthday to the record store and more selections from the Columbia Record Club than I expect we ever paid for. (STAND! by Sly and the Family Stone has always been a favorite)

Dad was a hippy. A Republican Hippy. yes, such creatures do exist.
He pretty much stopped liking music around the time the Beatles broke up. He was the first guy I knew who liked Electronic music. He was also the fist 'Headbanger' I knew. A friend sent him the first Black Sabbath album from England when it was new and the first wave of British metal became his last gasp as a music lover for MANY years.

We get along pretty good. We had a BIG musical falling out in the late 70's. He suddenly took a shine to little brothers KISS albums and I thought (as older sibs often do) why was MY Alice and Bowie VERBOTEN when KISS is a o.k.?

Another big conflict was 'punk/new wave' I tried WAY too long to convince him that this was a much needed kick in the pants to rock and roll. He would have NONE of it.
I'd catch him singing along to songs he said he hated every so often. I guess that was reward enough.

Reaction score
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad was a rock fan for awhile when he was a teen, listenin 2 black sabbath and stuff like that. My mom was always into disco ( long pause of failurism) and then wheen they started dating and crap in college, my mom poisoned my dads mind and now hes into disco too. WHY DO THE GOOD GO TO DISCO GOD?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!

L

lastofthesummerwine

My mom listened to a variety of stuff, but she loved Elvis and classic stuff like Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, etc. Oddly enough, she hated Sinatra. She listened to a small section of country, and her favorite song was "El Paso" by Marty Robbins.

My father loved Big Band and Swing. That's all!

Edit:

They were both sure that The Beatles were responsible for importing sin to America.

Last edited by a moderator:

kvcoty

Reaction score
My stepfather liked all the 60's 70's bands ie: Blind Faith ( he named his boats Blue Cheer and Blind Faith). He went to Woodstock when he was 16. Richie Havens, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, J Geils Band, The Yardbirds, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Flolyd, Tom Petty, Neil Young, CSN, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple I could go on you get the drift. He definitely shaped my taste in music, it was the one common ground we had during he teenage hell years.

He said in The late 70's early 80's there was no good new music. But occasionally I would challenge him to listen to something that just came out and he would like it. His opinion mattered to me. For example Dire Straits when Sultans of Swing came out. But he hated the disco era and would roll his eyes when mys siters and I would play our one hit wonder disco forty-fives (remember those) or cassette compilations we made our selves. He didn't much care for my punk music either when I came home from college. But overall now I think our record or cd collections ae pretty much the same. With the exception of Saturday Night Fever, The Violent Femmes, Parliament etc. He doesn't much care for his youngest son's and grandson's Rap or Death metal.
he still likes the old stuff as they call it.

My mother used to listen to the The Venture's or the Venturas the Carpenters, Helen Reddy ( I Am Woman used to make my sisters and I crack up and sign into our hairbrushes) Doo wap music, Johnny Cash and of course she felt Elvis was the King.
Her tastes changed when she met my stepfather and she turned into a hippie.

kvcoty

Reaction score
jeansimmions_jr said:
they just listen to country and it sucks none stop

I forgot my Mom liked John Denver that was country and sucked big time. I feel for you, man

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitewintermarket

Members online