What Did Your Parents Listen To?

Schmetterling

Reaction score
My dad only listened to classical music but my ma liked Collins era Genesis and some of Phils solo work. I also caught her grooving out to "Burning our Bed" by Alice Cooper once......oh, and she was a big Martin Taylor fan too....:yay:

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Pa likes anything from the 60s and 70s. I think his favorite bands are The Who, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull.

He is really fond of Uriah Heep too.

Ma's favorite was Black Sabbath, of course. I also recall her enjoying Humble Pie, April Wine, and ZZ Top.

Arkie

Reaction score
@Cadleson ^Hippie:cool:

My parents were absolute cave persons when it came to music. The music they listened to whilst growing up was utter *****.
Anyone ever heard of the "Jackie Gleason Orchestra" ?
Yeah thats what i thought.

It was actually a few Aunts and Uncles that turned me on to any type of rock/blues♬ in '65.

And as far as i know , lol my Aunt Georgina's (82 yrs old) still a Kiss Army member.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of the "Jackie Gleason Orchestra" ?

I grew up hearing that in the background of life. It gave me a great appreciation for sonic dynamics, harmonies, and listening to the entire piece instead of just waiting for a shredded guitar solo. Having that music as part of my musical foundation made me appreciate The Moody Blues, ELO, ELP, Pick Floyd, Genesis, Journey and all the other great prog rock bands of the 60's and 70's.

Even elevator music, like the 101 Strings, helped me to appreciate the fact that a song must start with a solid melody. Anyone can turn a piece of shit into a hit rock record by cranking the volume and throwing in gratuitous high-speed guitar shredding. When you strip away all the sturm und drang, and all the rock excess, and just listen to the song itself, you'll appreciate it even more when those things are added back in.

Arkie

Reaction score
@Old Dude we're opposite man. My background of lifes musical upbringing was not waiting for the next shredded riff.
lol Thats just silly. I didnt even now what a riff was back then, but i do now and i do know what i disliked then and now.
Personally , I never found any similarities compared to prog (dynamically or harmonically, but then im not a big prog fan either) in listening to the big bands -Jackie Gleason Orchestra -Dorsey brothers- Lawrence Welk - Mitch Miller or any of those yayhoos.
One mans heaven is the other mans hell eh.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
@Old Dude we're opposite man. My background of lifes musical upbringing was not waiting for the next shredded riff.

Perhaps it's because my mother was a trained opera singer, and worked as a professional, and I got lots of professional musical training as a vocalist as well. I was trained to break songs down to all their parts in order to learn them.

One tiny example that illustrates what I'm talking about. When The Toys released "A Lover's Concerto" in 1965, I recognized it immediately as Bach's "Minuet in G major", shifted from 3/4 into 4/4.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I just posted a song from a country artist my Dad listened too But at first my parents listened to cool songs I still can appreciate.. Then when I turned 6 my parents joined the Morman church and it was all frikkin Morman Tabernacle Chior shit in the house for the next 10 years!!
I did buy the 45 of The Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman" which my Dad made me wear out over and over again..
My Mom did like Don ** and Andy Williams because she was learning how to Hula Dance..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online