What kind of music did your parents listen to?

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
My Mom liked the Beatles " before they got weird ", and a lot of stuff like the Mommas and the Poppas. When I was a kid, she did have a record collection in the attic, but at the time I didn't have a clue about music. Hell. probably some $$$ in the dump somewhere now.

I don't remember my father really listening to anything in particular, but when I was a kid on Saturday nites they used to listen to the Jim Sands all request oldies show on WHDH in Boston. This was before the advent of oldies stations. And it seems like differnt oldies then, Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles, 50's doo wop, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, I am sure you get the point, but they were differrent thean the "AM gold" that is played on the oldies stations today.

But anyway, mom listened mostly to "am gold" and talk, dad listened to anything that was on (he would let me pick the station in the car) and the both loved the Saturday nite oldies.

yarnellcg17

Reaction score
My dad listened to Buddy Holly..Beatles..The Hollies.. he listened to some very good Country Music also..then he mainly stuck with 50's and 60's Rock..Back in 03 he surprised me.. He now also listens to Jessica Simpson.. Christina ..and Yes Brittany..he is 61.. Mom.. she listened to just about anything Rock or country then when I was 6.. I got drove nuts with BJ Thomas:rolleyes: ..I took the 8 track out of the player and threw it into our nearby creek:D Although she wasn't happy with me..I was very happy with me..cause I finally had a peace of mind that day..hehehe..

I grew up listening to what my parents listened to.. I was born in 1965..and I have vivid memories of that last half of the 1960's..it was a very busy turbulent time and I think that as it was..it instilled a chapter in my early childhood that I still think about today.. Then the 80's arrived ohhhhhhhh heelllllllllll yeah :D

H

Hendrix123

My dad listened to ted nugent,head east, eric clapton, stevie ray vaughn,boston, tesla, the eagles and many more. Now he listens to most of what he use to. Mom listened to bob segar, bee gees, jackson browne, the eagles and so on. Both big classic rock fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
ha my parents and I steal each others cd's, my moms into the more ballady kinda stuff and my dad loves southern rock, with a little bit of just balls out rock n roll for good measure, he likes some punk stuff too, its really weird looking at your dads music on his computer and seeing dead kennedys lol

Whimsical Wholigan

Reaction score
My mom listened to pretty much everything that sounded good to her from the 60's era on (and saw so many people live), but was particularly a southern rock fan. Stuff like The Eagles, Jethro Tull, Lynard Skynard, ZZ Top, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Alabama, Molly Hatchet, etc.
She also dove a bit into the british invasion with love for bands like Pink Floyd, The Beatles "before they went crazy", Led Zeppelin and Herman's Hermits which greatly influenced my taste for that genre. (Although I prefer the psychedelic side myself.)
But.. she's the type of person who surprises you when it comes to music. At one moment it's a big Journey kick, the next it's Bad Company.

Dad.. eh, I suppose he was into the big band/boogie-woogie thing but I don't really know nor do I honestly care.

billtjr51

Reaction score
My Mom and Dad were born in the 20's. So they were teens in the late 30's and early 40's. I remember them listening to Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Ray Charles, etc. BORING! I am glad I was a teen in the late 60's and early 70's.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online