Thread Closed What Are You Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: Daily, Nightly and Ever So Rightly II *Chat Thread*

^^I saw a news report on BBC a couple weeks ago concerning Apple. An American investigative journalist went undercover to scout a possible location for a factory for his company, the Chinese officials gave him the grand tour not knowing his real motives.

I'll make it short and sweet, Apple has contracted out their manufacturing to virtual "Slave Labor" that is forced to live in absolute squalid conditions. They are worked way too many hours a day, are packed into dorms holding 15 bunks that are smaller than my living room and are under extreme pressure to make their assigned quotas everyday.

Considering the flak some other celebrities have suffered for having their clothing/shoes made by child labour, I wonder what the head honchos in Apple think about the conditions the people making their products are forced to work under.

Add to that the meager wages, and the massive profits of the managers and that is something to be proud of.

Just another reason I don't like Apple, but to be fair our entire manufacturing base has betrayed us all for a quick profit, there is no way we can compete with slave labor and brutal conditions, although Wal-Mart keeps trying to get those installed over here.

That's interesting LG. Is that a big story right now? I haven't checked up on the news but with the release of the iPad 3 this past week people may be too caught up in the hype to pay mind to it unfortunately. Typically when we think of a sweatshop our thoughts immediately go to clothing lines. Think of the massive profits they receive from that cheap labor, with an $800 iPad 64 gig I wonder what percentage they get to keep. :bonk:

Well yesterday I went to the doctor and it was mostly positive. Got my ears cleaned out, I still have perfect blood pressure despite all my bad eating and lifestyle habits. I will be going to a Neurologist to finally (hopefully) find out why I've been having these series of bad episodes over the past year or so. I'm not a doctor person at all. Every time I do go it's been so long in between I have to update my insurance information, etc. all over again on the phone. My families been wanting me to go for a while now considering even I've been finding these things scarier each time. The thing is I'm horrible at relating symptoms and stuff to doctors especially when it's not fresh in my head. Everything that happens can be related to a thousand different things and it can take forever to find out exactly what it is or what causes it. Pain in the ass and adds up which is why I usually avoid it at all cost. If I wasn't really comfortable financially right now and feared that it's getting progressively worse I still would avoid it but I've decided to bite the bullet and hope it's nothing. If it's some drawn out panic attacks I'll be confused and a little embarrassed as I seem to be fine in that area and can generally keep my composure stress wise but then again that's more manageable and less harmful than the alternatives. Should be interesting! :)

Awesome boo! I'm glad you got your ears figured out. Can you hear better? I had a lot of infections in my right ear as a child and as a result I think I've lost a bit of hearing in that one, but also have a problem with compacted earwax and have to have them use that high pressured gun when I go. The difference is especially noticeable with my new headphones, since they both have the same amount of pressure on my ears as opposed to my earbuds that I could adjust. It's really annoying! I know you were really worried and irritated with that so I'm glad you got it figured out. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^A company of Apple's size makes them invulnerable to just about any criticism...but at least for those people that are interested these kind of stories are out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Apple board shrugged it off, booked their tee-times at Augusta and waited for more Billions to roll into their pockets. Shameful and disgusting to me and why I feel this version of capitalism is doomed to fail utterly.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

You may be surprised yet at the masses of people who swear off Apple products LG. All of my devices so far (iPod color, iPod touch and now I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S) have been gifts from my mother, otherwise I may swear them off in the future. They also increased the prices on their music. An individual song costs $1.29 now where they used to be 30 cents cheaper (like Apple needs the extra money :rolleyes:). My biggest annoyance with Apple is...

1.) The battery life on their products. They intentionally make it nearly impossible to get into the battery to switch it out without having to do an overhaul of the device altogether, making you pretty much have to buy a new device or your battery will die within hours after a little over a year and a half of owning it, or depending on how much you use it. THAT is one way they make their money.

2.) I think, however, the biggest ripoff by Apple is their "Keep up with the Joneses" approach to releasing a new device every six months to a year. Weren't the iPad 2's released just last year? Now they released the new one, with minor enhancements. Also, Nook tablets allow you to attach a storage device for extra space, whereas with the iPads you have to shell out a couple of hundred extra bucks for higher capacity. Also got the 4S iPhone, and they're coming out with the 5 here soon, and an iPad mini. :bonk:

I'm done for now. :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Yes that is the other part of their company policy that I don't like. It's not about quality it's about brainwashing their built in market share into buying every new product even if the old ones are still good.

I just find it incomprehensible how our wealthiest business class have sold us out literally for a short term windfall which erodes our standard of living, and only increases the quality of life for a few in China.

Besides in ten years at this rate gasoline will be over $50.00 a gallon, there is not enough energy in the world to allow China and India to come up to our way of life...and yet the morons running things just can't help themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online