The N Word As it is Found In Rock

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I always thought Bon Scott was singinging...she's a ****** on a one way ride, on Highway To Hell, until I actually saw the lyrics and realized it was "season ticket on a one way ride." I always wondered how he got away with it, when it was just my own dumb ass ears hearing what wasn't there.

And if that word is not acceptable here, should it no be edited the same as F*** is, or perhaps striken from use altogether?

I won't use the word if it's not acceptable, but just because I'm a dumb ass, doesn't mean I'm going to treat myself like a dumb ass.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
There are only 2 words that are censored on this site, and "the n word" isn't one of them. The use of this word in a discussion such as this would likely be acceptable under most circumstances. If used in a name-calling situation with another user or if referring to any person in that manner would likely fall into an unacceptable category.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I've got a Folk Song from the 1940s which has the "N" word in them. I guess that's the only reason why the CD I have in particular isn't available in the US, even though the band were based in America.

Correction I don't have a Folk Song from the 1940s with the "N" word in it - it's supposed to be "Digger", though the song in question "Ground Hog" makes it sound like it could be the "N" being used in the context of a Name, since it's in a verse with a few Names in it.

Last edited:

Choogler

Music Addict
Reaction score
"Only takes one itchy trigger; one more widow, one less white ******." - Elvis Costello "Oliver's Army"

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
which is EXTREMELY hypocritical. Non-whites can use a term that they deem as derogatory as much as they want because they are non-white, but if a white person uses it, they may as well be clubbing baby seals. I'm not saying it's a good word but to me, that community is beyond hypocritical in how they view this particular word.

And for that matter, if they want to get rid of the use of the word, they it starts from within their own community and it ALSO means that they shouldn't be referring to other 'races' with any derogatory names either, right?

I agree that there is a fair amount of hypocrisy around that but the idea is "taking the word back" similarly to what has been done for the word bitch in more recent years. But even with that in mind it would still have both positive and negative connotations and it's offensiveness would still be contextual, no?

ANTHEM

Reaction score
At one time they didn't want to show Elvis's moves on tv, Jim Morison saying "higher" on the air, AC/DC using the word "Hell" in a title, and so on. It's weird in how such a short time those words or actions have become meaningless and non offensive to the vast majority. Eventually if the world last long enough everyone will be running around naked hollering ******.:oyea:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Absolutely.That people are afraid of ANY word is utter nonsense.It is indeed the INTENT behind the phrasing and/or delivery that decides whehter or not it is indeed racist slander.George Carlin did a bit about this whole thing that really summed up my own personal slant on the matter.Of course,Carlin was a master wordplayer who involved himself so much in the language arts he saw the near N-word ban to be a frivilous miscarriage of communications justice.In most cases,these things are JUST WORDS.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm against censorship but am also in favour of a little good taste and class in how we go about our daily lives.

I could write a paragraph about this topic, but suffice it to say I am not impressed by a lot of the new cultural values I see in society today, people are meaner than ever before and that's something I've noticed for a long time now.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
^ That is pretty much a shorter version of what I've said in my first post on this subject.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online