The N Word As it is Found In Rock

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yes, that N word. Bellow are two songs by white rock icons that not only use it but use it frequently and even put it in it the title (Now stick with me, there is a point here)...

One from Patti Smith

And another from John Lennon

I personally agree with the overall message of the songs and support freedom of speech 100%. That said the big ol' N word is one of the touchiest in the English language. I can't speak for other songs but these two use it as a metaphor for their respective messages. The word itself obviously impacts very heavily because of the history behind it but neither of these songs were written about race. Some people I know have taken major offence at these songs under the belief that anytime you use the N word and you aren't black it is automatically racist whereas I believe context is offence and not words themselves.

Just curious of other people's thoughts on the subject and I hope we can have a considerate, non offensive discussion.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I agree with you. If we support absolute free speech then it should be used at a persons discretion without the threat of violence and or being banned. After all blacks have used the word themselves along with other words like honkey, cracker, opie, and casper in which I have been called countless times growing up in Detroit. What really needs to be done is not shutting down free speech but teaching our kids social tact so people even though they can say what they want will learn that it doesn't have to be said thus they will take it upon themselves to have the class enough to not say certain things. Oppressing peoples basic human right to say what's on their mind whether right or wrong only causes bitterness and frustration that ironically leads to more offensive language imo. When somebody is told they can't do something is quite often when they will just to rebel.

gorgon

Reaction score
I don't agree with policing speech. Political correctness is one of the things helping ruin society.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I shouldn't even get started on political shit, but I will anyway...It's pretty "effing" pathetic everyone is afraid to say the word ******. It's like we live in a twilight zone episode. The PC Nazis need to be lined up and shot in their brainwashed skulls.

Last edited:

Aero

Reaction score
I shouldn't even get started on political shit, but I will anyway...It's pretty "effing" pathetic everyone is afraid to say the word ******. It's like we live in a twilight zone episode. The PC Nazis need to be lined up and shot in their brainwashed skulls.

100% in agreement. BTW, what's the rule if you're only half black? Can you say the N word or not? :****:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
support freedom of speech 100%.
Same. I am NOT a fan of ANY kind of censorship. As a parent, I did my best to pay attention to things that my kids listened to, what they watched on TV, etc, but I do NOT believe that anyone should be doing that for me. that's MY job.

If I don't like something, I don't support it. I suggest everyone else do the same.

That said the big ol' N word is one of the touchiest in the English language.
To me, it's a case of "sticks and stones". It's a word and words only "hurt" if you let them. Also, at least in this nation, someone's freedom of speech allows them to say something stupid and it also allows me (or anyone else) to point it out and give them shit for it, but I don't begrudge anyone the use of this word or any other. Goes back to what I said above. 100% against censorship in nearly any form.

Some people I know have taken major offence at these songs under the belief that anytime you use the N word and you aren't black it is automatically racist whereas I believe context is offence and not words themselves.
which is EXTREMELY hypocritical. Non-whites can use a term that they deem as derogatory as much as they want because they are non-white, but if a white person uses it, they may as well be clubbing baby seals. I'm not saying it's a good word but to me, that community is beyond hypocritical in how they view this particular word.

And for that matter, if they want to get rid of the use of the word, they it starts from within their own community and it ALSO means that they shouldn't be referring to other 'races' with any derogatory names either, right?

Khor1255

Reaction score
Placing that much relevance and negative connotation to any word must be something that makes *** types smile deeply. Good job thought police, you have guaranteed this particular word will have relevance for at least a few hundred more years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online