The N Word As it is Found In Rock

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
There's a difference between the word "*****" and the word "n***er."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Semantics AAG, they mean the same thing, I just find it an offensive term no matter who is using it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well generally speaking, the version with the hard R is considered to be the more offensive of the two. It's just a matter of fries vs. chips though.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
My two cents?

I feel the same way about it as I feel about profanity in music.

It's there, but doesn't have to be. I don't get it.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
The "only black people can say the N word at will" rule makes perfect sense. Think of it this way, if you call your sister a slut, because you two have that kind of amiably cheeky relationship, that's okay. If some random person gets up in your sister's face and calls her a slut, wouldn't you be insulted? Wouldn't you get mad? Wouldn't you say something?

I disagree. I was raised in a household where the term "******" was used for white trash and blacks alike. It was an issue of lifestyle, not color.

I am in the process of adopting a boy who had a white father and a black mother. If a race of people feel comfortable using a term to identify with each other, so be it. Sticks and stones and all that.

But this is the same race that fought for years to shun this very term through civil rights movements and upward surges of freedom and respect in their community.

It is an ugly word in my opinion, and always has been.

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
Its no diffrent than me calling myself a Dago/Wop or HillBilly,Im proud of both sides of my heritage.
I have black friends&Co workers of African decent&Latino decent,Never any problems out of anybody.
My little Nephew is 1/2 black&cacuation,Spoil him rotten every chance I get:grinthumb

Then I have my lawn jockey.
20120528165352.jpg

^^^ His new paint job last summer.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think this verse handles my views on things perfectly:

"In a haze these days
I pull up to the stoplight
I can feel that something's not right
I can feel that someone's blasting me
With hate and bass
Sending dirty vibes my way
Cause my great great great great grandad
Made someone's great great great great grandaddy slaves
It wasn't my idea
It wasn't my idea
It never was my idea
I just drove to the store
For some Preparation H"

:heheh:

Rockin' The Suburbs

In the end though the song is very tongue and cheek and makes a mockery of middle class white boy pain. :tongue: Even behind the humor it just strikes me as funny that all this is still an issue. Here's the thing. Why would anyone care if the same race that had an ugly word used against them takes ownership of the word and doesn't want you to use it anymore. What's the loss besides you not being able to say it? Do you really want that? Is it really a privilege you envy? I don't believe in the reparation part for the generations that never even experienced what their families went through but if they want exclusive right to a word then so be it. We have plenty of situations where we have a code for words depending on relativity. Woman call each others bitches. Hell, I'll call my fellow heterosexual males "Hun" mockingly and they'll do the same in turn but obviously we'll give you an odd look if some stranger came out of nowhere to say it. It's disrespectful to call someone something vulgar without familiarity.

If a black guy had a close enough friend that was white and they had that bond where they could mock each other with that crassness then cool. It's between them. My friends and I call each other some very vulgar terms and it's known as "giving each other shit". When people go through equally bad circumstances they form a bond. In the end their experiences are exclusive to them and they can share it in humor or various other forms. A lot of times even ugliness can be turned into levity or humor between those with the same experience. In the end the group who had the words maliciously used towards them is owning that. They tend to keep it between them and I don't know too many cases where they are using it towards white so what's the harm? It's contained among them and a reflection of their experience. They didn't invent the word. They embraced a negative, owned it and should have most of the sting taken out of it now. If you say something enough it should lose it's power.

Anyway, the animosity should be quelled at this point. Like Ben Folds said "It wasn't my idea!" :heheh: If we can't let them own one damn word in which was once used to degrade them then we are no better than one of their race who still begrudges us for our past generations IMO.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliebell

Staff online

Members online