The N Word As it is Found In Rock

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying S&S, but the levity of the situation is lost on me.

When I am standing in a grocery store with my 5 year old boy, and he sees two "******" calling each other that, it makes an impression.

I can not control other people's actions, but I can certianly teach him proper conversation. He once asked me what color he was, after feeling pressure to answer the question in pre-school. I told him he was latte. Evere since that's been our little in-joke.

Calling other people "*****", white or black (once again in my humble opinion) is just lazy. There are a lot of other words in the English vocab. that are much more animated than that term. Hell, "Funky Monkey" at least has a creative tone.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying S&S, but the levity of the situation is lost on me.

When I am standing in a grocery store with my 5 year old boy, and he sees two "******" calling each other that, it makes an impression.

I can not control other people's actions, but I can certianly teach him proper conversation. He once asked me what color he was, after feeling pressure to answer the question in pre-school. I told him he was latte. Evere since that's been our little in-joke.

Calling other people "*****", white or black (once again in my humble opinion) is just lazy. There are a lot of other words in the English vocab. that are much more animated than that term. Hell, "Funky Monkey" at least has a creative tone.

Yeah, even with my example of saying that my friends and I use crass terms towards each other there's definitely a conscious effort to not just blurt things out obnoxiously for all to hear. Basically I agree that words that could carry weight towards others should respectfully be contained and just within earshot to those within. I believe in the same context that the black race should be able to say that word if they so choose to each other they should still respect their environment. All people should respect their environment. You don't say the same things in a Church, around your Grandparents, in your school or around young children then you do within your own circle. Even when you let loose a little much needed goofing/immaturity you should be mature enough to know where it's appropriate.

I agree that the "N" word really is a lazy term. I always like to make my slagging of each person personalized and nothing's more boring than generic really meaningless taunts. :heheh: I believe in a sense the world would be better if we could all just collectively verbally slag each other equally and laugh at each other. That's what I always loved about the way South Park takes on our culture. Nobody is honestly offended by it as it takes shots at every culture in our melting pot and let's everybody laugh. Whether we see the humor in things is really a choice but it's a better choice in the end. It's about perspective but we all have something ****ed up and funny about the way we do things. If good humor towards our own prevails and we could harmlessly rib each other the world would be a kickass place. :grinthumb

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I am not a fan of censorship, but I am also not a fan of the N word, or any other racial slur. I don't care what race you are... It's just an expired way to think, in my opinion. I'm not going to jump on a soap box and preach about it. I just won't take one word people that talk like that say seriously, after the fact.

With Freedom of Speech comes responsibility. If you want to talk that way, it's your business. Enjoy yourself. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online