The most powerful/emotional song you've ever heard?

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
If Johnny Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nail song "Hurt" doesn't tear your heart out, don't know what will.

Wow I forgot all about this one. It's eerie and beautifully haunting. The fact that he's lived the lyrics makes this much more emotionally gripping than the original.

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

The whole story of Conor Clapton (story 'behind' the tears in heaven)

Another great song that I haven't heard in ages. It brings back memories of my childhood :uh:

@Soot and Stars I'm glad you shared that with us. It's a really nice song and I've always kind of liked Billy's voice. it woks for the material :grinthumb

I used to find much comfort in these songs back in my awkward High School days.. I used to suffer from severe depression. I still do, but definitely not as bad as before.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'll stick with Pumpkin songs for now.

The Smashing Pumpkins-For Martha

Take away all the knowledge that I acquired that both took away the mystery of this and gave it further depth and I can say I GOT this song. This song works with and is heightened within the framework of this album as well as standing like a monument unto itself. Having that build, which is a theme with me, there is more tension and anticipation in this build than I've ever heard. Without even knowing that this was an ode to Billy's mother and her passing you feel like musically there is a desperation to conjure life or at least reawaken the spiritual. Within the framework of the album Adore, an album that went electronic and synth heavy after the guitar double album epic of Mellon Collie the blast of the only true guitar solo on the album is a master of structure and timing. Never has a moment been as much of a release with as much purpose as this track. The track itself represents solitude and reflection and being more alone than anyone's ever been in their life. You hear an emptiness, a room that echoes the solitary noises that are shared with the mourning of one and you feel the melancholy darkness mixed the uprising of one's strength to reach out. Bill's calling out to be heard and still feels that connection. The wispy optimism and contained sadness is enough to pull at anyone who has a heart. There's a bravery to this song that's portrayed musically. Have you ever heard anything that screams accomplished than with those guitar sounds and Billy's chanting into his final mantra

"Long horses we are born
Creatures more than torn
Mourning our way home"

I really see this as "home" being that place where we reconnect. Billy may never be a straight ahead Christian but he is very spiritual. Even if you don't believe in reconnecting in the afterlife you can humanly relate to this hope and faith to rejoin. This maybe the most spiritual song I've ever heard without about being overt about dogma. I don't know many bands who can have such a brilliant way of making beautiful thought out structures that both are accessible but ambiguous enough to be perfect pieces of art.

How powerful that journey between tragedy and closure can be and when you reach it can be the most explosive energy one can contain and the rest is peace. A slow piano fading out, the ringing and clanging into an ethereal buzz. I don't want to ever have to understand this song as I feel it enough. I know I will though and I know I will need this soon.

Aero

Reaction score
Janis Ian - At Seventeen (Live, 1976)

So remember those who win the game
Lose the love they sought to gain
In debentures of quality and dubious integrity

Their small town eyes will gape at you
In dull surprise when payment due
Exceeds accounts received at seventeen

Love the lyrics to this song. A very original way for this singer to express her feelings. And quite a bold move to be so honest about how she views herself.

I can't imagine a high profile female singer today being this honest about her self-image.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My final Pumpkins entry.

The Smashing Pumpkins-Galapago

Out of all the emotional connections I have to a Pumpkins song this maybe the most specific and personal. The sound musically is soft, exotic and dreamy. It's a realm that we aren't familiar with and the song if we gather any clear theme is largely about change. I hate change with a passion and more than one would like to admit. The character in my eyes is one who's battling with taking his firmly planted feet and taking the step into the abyss. Every time it seems he is offering himself up to change the music swells and strums frantically portraying his fear. The song implies that his change is inspired by another who has their hand out for him. He's afraid as much as anything about this change but willing to jump risking more than ever. He's willing to accept the pains and risk he associates with taking this journey with someone but he's pleading for this person to stay with him to make it worth it. He expects the loss deep inside but he's decided it's a worthy sacrifice. It's a worthy sacrifice in the end. When that chord hits the vocal verse:

"Too late to turn to turn back now, I'm running out of sound
And I'm changing, changing
And if we died right now, this fool you loved somehow
Is here with you"

it's the most goosebump raising vocal sentiment I've ever heard. All the other builds were musically crafted but this one just lets a simple guitar chord chime in and set up the vocals to climax. That declaration and letting go is one of the most moving and inspiring thing I've heard. It's not a struggle anymore. It's a free fall and like he says he can't turn back. I've heard the more ambiguous theory that Billy wrote this about his music evolving and changing and the acceptance between his art and his fan base. I LOVE that angle and it's perfect that way as well. He has evolved bravely in his art and taken gruff. For me though, I connect to this song as a man who's seeing things differently lately but still is toying about dangling his foot off it's perch more than he has. It's a beautiful song about life, love and personal evolution.

Out of all the great lines in the history of music this song throws one of the most beautifully crafted sentiments ever:

"And rescue me from me and all that I believe
I won't deny the change
And should I fall from grace here with you
Will you leave me too"

In one statement Bill has told the dramatic push and pull of love better than anything applied in a two to three hour film. One average person puts in their all, changes their prior persona and dons Supermans cape for the first time. This time the destination is Galapagos.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
2 choices ....both very different to each other but very emotional in my opinion

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
If You See Her Say Hello - Bob Dylan

I think this is one of the most important songs on Blood On The Tracks, the pain he describes here is raw and very, very real. It's a benchmark for break up songs.

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
'Don't Think Twice, Its Alright' by Bob Dylan. This one's very evocative for me of a certain lady in my life.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Okay, no singing, but check him out.

Cute 3 Year Old Chinese Boy Performs For An Audition

Migmagnific

Reaction score
These are the songs that come to my mind:

There is more but I do not want to make a big list,
I will leave that to others hehe. Hope you enjoy :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online