The most overplayed songs on FM radio!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^I didn't realize that Fever, I gave up on them after Third Stage.

Boston with a female vocalist would sure sound funny to me...I think I'll just stick with the first three and forget about the rest.:D

I think you MAY dig this tune LG from their last album. It gets played alot on my end, if only for this tune and a few others.

:phones:

foreverblue

Reaction score
some of the songs you guys mentioned hardly get airplay on australian radio.
and any aussie classic rock fan will testify alongside me that certain songs get flogged to death.
example
flogged zeppelin songs
1. whole lotta love
2. rock and roll
3.stairway to heaven

Rocker440

Reaction score
Another Brick In The Wall
Refugee
Rock And Roll All Nite
Come Sail Away
What I Like About you
Lucky Man
Paranoid

...I can keep going....:heheh: But I love all the songs that have been listed and I only listen to radio in the car once in a while anyway. So over play them I say. :heheh:

Sometimes when I hear part of that song I can't help but remember the excellent David Spade impression he used to do on SNL, I still :heheh: at that one! I couldn't find any images of Spade in character, maybe it's on YT? :peek

Coming from a guy who did radio and still has a few connections at rock stations.

I think we all know the usual suspects. These same songs, and little else, will still be on FM rock radio en masse 10-15 years from now. Just as these same songs were all over the radio en masse 10-15 years ago today.

A lot of people evidently still listen to them on these stations because they are still getting played. Radio wouldn't be playing this stuff if the ratings were falling off a cliff. I've been told that in person by more than one program director, station manager and/or radio dj whose hands are pretty much tied as to what they can play on the air.

True! Although I do believe I would go absolutely nuts being a DJ and having to play those same songs over and over. I've even wondered how some DJ's can do their shows without listening to most of the playlists! :oyea:

I used to listen to much more FM radio in the 1970s and 1980s, but not that much now, I don't need to as much of their playlists are mostly the same bands, songs now as they were back then. I rarely listen to FM radio these days, with the exception of in between changing CD's, and also being somewhat lazy, at times! :lmao: :D
Many years ago I used to think the DJ's themselves controlled their own setlists, but I tried calling in many particular songs during the "request" segments, and that's when I began to realize that DJ's can only mostly play certain songs, by certain bands, too! Imo, that would be extremely difficult for me to do, I would surely want to play some of my own personal favorite songs, with many of those probably both not being allowed on radio shows, as well as also to break the monotony of regular setlists, too! :heybaby:

Another song, or various versions of that is also overplayed..

Who Are You - The Who

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I would love take Jerry Bruckheimer who produces the CSI franchise into the back room and give him a thrashing Rocker440.:mad

I hate them using great old songs for TV theme's, the only good thing might be to introduce an old band to a new audience, but still I hate hearing the beginning of any of those shows.(Not FM radio but figured I would get that off my chest.;))

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Sometimes when I hear part of that song I can't help but remember the excellent David Spade impression he used to do on SNL, I still :heheh: at that one! I couldn't find any images of Spade in character, maybe it's on YT? :peek

True! Although I do believe I would go absolutely nuts being a DJ and having to play those same songs over and over. I've even wondered how some DJ's can do their shows without listening to most of the playlists! :oyea:

I used to listen to much more FM radio in the 1970s and 1980s, but not that much now, I don't need to as much of their playlists are mostly the same bands, songs now as they were back then. I rarely listen to FM radio these days, with the exception of in between changing CD's, and also being somewhat lazy, at times! :lmao: :D
Many years ago I used to think the DJ's themselves controlled their own setlists, but I tried calling in many particular songs during the "request" segments, and that's when I began to realize that DJ's can only mostly play certain songs, by certain bands, too! Imo, that would be extremely difficult for me to do, I would surely want to play some of my own personal favorite songs, with many of those probably both not being allowed on radio shows, as well as also to break the monotony of regular setlists, too! :heybaby:

What you're saying is correct. DJ's generally only play requests if they are already on a list of songs they are allowed to play anyway. You request Zeppelin, of course they'll play it, because they were possibly going to play whatever song you requested between now and the end of that day anyway. But if you request a deep album cut from one of the 1980's Bad Company albums, you ain't gonna hear it. (Hell, you'd be lucky if they'd play a top 40 single from them during that period).

I was very fortunate to spend my entire nine year broadcasting career on a couple of smaller stations that allowed me to choose my own playlists. Those two stations I did that on were probably one of the 2% I would have been able to do that on.

Of course the drawback was old and sometimes unreliable equipment, no budget to speak of, mostly absent management (not always a bad thing), no structure or direction in place and a pretty limited broadcasting range compared to big stations. It also meant I was literally on the bottom of the ladder.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Some bands with great "B" sides and choice album cuts but a few overplayed songs:

Living In The Past - Jethro Tull
Fly Like An Eagle - Steve Miller Band
The Wall (a handful) - Pink Floyd
Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

I don't listen to corporate FM radio with the exception of the local college radio station (WMSE) and the oldies station (WRIT) - I love the 70's weekends it broadcasts.:grinthumb

I realized years ago that listening to the Clear Channel drone may afflict one with a severe facial tick.:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online