The Doors: Legends or Not?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This thread deserves a graveyard burial.

Better thread have been laid to rest already.

I am not big on the title either Groovy...but the question it poses is a valid one.(I have changed the title to something more palatable.:D)

Many people love the Doors, and many seem to consider them...over hyped.

I did think it tragic that Jim's alcohol addiction spiraled to the point it cost him his life. Nicest guy in the world when sober...and a mean spirited a-hole when loaded, which early in his career he needed to get over his stage fright before concerts.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not a huge Doors fan, so I don't consider them legends (by my standards). They did have a huge influence on bands that followed them. Jim's stage presence and antics cut a path for bands that followed. It is amazing how much sensorship the Doors endured (and broke) to pave the way for future rock bands. Jim was litterally drug off the stage once by police.

I do dig a few of their songs:

Love Me Two Times
People Are Strange
Light My Fire
The End
Roadhouse Blues
Riders on the Storm
Love Her Madly

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
The Doors are one of the few bands I enjoy listening to live as much as their studio stuff. I think they're similar to bands like Nirvana in that people look at the lead singer and their issues and make a snap judgment about the band as a whole. Most people couldn't even name another Doors band member I don't think. Jim Morrison, IMO, was a troubled but genius man who put every gut feeling and emotion into his lyrics. There's no denying that they were massively influential in the 60's pyschedelic rock scene and 60's rock in general. I put them right up there along Hendrix and the Beatles in terms of importance in that era. I love the Doors. Easily in my top 10, if not top 5. I'd much rather listen to them rather than any other big band of the 60's. :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Many people love the Doors, and many seem to consider them...over hyped.

You can say that about any band...

U2, Radiohead, Queen, The Stooges, Pearl Jam...

And from what I read of Jim Morrison, he was a happy fun drunk, most of the time, looking for fun...

(but everyone has their moments, I guess - Morrison was no angel)

Morrison wasn't druged out and drunk all the time.

Sure he was know for his craziness, but he wasn't all crazinesss.

Actually, members of The Doors said Morrison wasn't as bad as people and books made his out to be. He was very intelligent, well read and mellow.

Anyway if you wanna call rock stars drunken douche bag idiots - the list would be long.

They say Elton John was the worst mean spirted bitter drunken asshole around...

John Lennon was rumored to have pissed out an open Hotel window on nuns walking by below...

And Alice Cooper was the biggest drunkest idiot of them all....and look at him now. :)

Also, just look at all douche bag idiots in today's music who aren't drunk or on drugs....what's their excuse for being idiots?

:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are in fine form today...:D

It's all about perception Groovy....The Doors remind me of U2 in a way, you get people that Love them...and others that think they get way too much credit. A very polarizing band when it comes down to it.

I like the Doors, and respect what they did in their time.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Aren't rock and rollers and boozing/drug addictions sort of synonymous? Why would anyone even venture to criticize that endless love affair? :heheh: Besides, some of the best rockers were boozing all the time. Look at Keith Moon! And Jim Morrison was a literal genius and college educated just like the Pink Floyd guys. I wish I could say musicians usually don't let the boozing affect their art, but look at Zeppelin in their later days. :wtf:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind, Groovy, that back in the 60's people were strict.

Today people aren't as strict. I think what was considered bad behavior back then, is now considered "cool and acceptable". If Jim Morrison were alive today, with all the energy he had during his hey-day, The Doors would be the top band of the 2000's.

The Doors had great managers and promoters, and a cohesiveness amongst the band members that you don't see these days.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I am not a huge Doors fan, so I don't consider them legends (by my standards).

Well, for what it's worth, The Doors are in the RRHOF, and still very popular. Their albums still sell as much as Zeppelin , The Who Dylan, Hendrix, or close to it. I'd call them legends.

If The Doors aren't legends....no classic rock band is.

The Doors never died - which is legendary.

Most people couldn't even name another Doors band member I don't think.

A casual Doors fan couldn't, but a lot of Doors fans could.

I seen Robbie Krieger once, with John Densmore on drums in NYC back in the 90's. It was a Robbie Krieger show, I had no idea Densmore was going to be on drums - we were all totally surprised - it was a great show!

Too bad Ray Manzarek wasn't there. It would of been a three quarter Doors reunion!

Anyway, I just wanted to drop the other Doors members names to show how big of a Doors fan I am...and how cool I am too! :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to agree with you Groovy on the Doors music never dying. That just goes to show you how groudbreaking the band was.........

BUT I, personally, am not a huge fan. It has nothing to do with Jim Morrison having personal issues, or anything like that. I just never really cared much for their music or many of the lyrical topics in the music.

Personal preference :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online