Jim Morrison The Voice Behind The Doors

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you consider Jim Morrison's vocals as fitting and unique compared to so many lead vocalist who came out of the rock ages..
What are your thoughts of how Jim Morrison effected you hearing their songs??
To me.. He was lyrically complicated.. But poetic at the same time..
His way of singing as with any front stage frontman, was the right mixture for his contribution to the band..

How did his singing effect you as a listener????

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
One could write a book on him (and the Doors)......oh wait , many have . ;)
Certainly one of my favorite rock singers of all time. Definitely a rock poet imho and I have his books of poetry. He was the heart of the Doors imho and his voice and lyrics were just right.
I would have liked it better if the band had an original bass player to add that extra 'voice' to the band but Manzarek did a great job with his pedals.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I would have liked it better if the band had an original bass player to add that extra 'voice' to the band but Manzarek did a great job with his pedals.
Dr. Wu.. The whole who played Bass for them escaped me for a long time.. Manzarek actually, played some great bass lines.. The whole band kinda invented a whole sound that was different than anything out there..
I guess if they found somebody to play bass for them it would have offset the bands strangeness..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For me……Jim Morrison is hit and miss. Yes, he was lyrical, talented, and very complicated. But when he was bad, he was horrifically bad. I love the LA Woman album, but jeez o…..

Cars Hiss By My Window is ghastly….and it ain’t the bluesy music!

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Another stinker from LA Woman…the whole song should be in @Slipn ”not so serious” thread.

L’America
I like that song and I think he;s just fine.
Remember there were 3 other members so he didnt always write the music or create the whole song.
They obviously needed 2 tracks to finish the lp.
:hm:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like that song and I think he;s just fine.
Remember there were 3 other members so he didnt always write the music or create the whole song.
They obviously needed 2 tyracks to finish the lp.
:hm:
True. It’s still a stinker, IMO.
Morrison, could sing, and sing beautifully. When he was bad, it’s really bad.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Another stinker from LA Woman…the whole song should be in @Slipn ”not so serious” thread.

L’America
Funny thing is Magic.. I would call that a stinker too.. I've never heard that song.. Strange as I know some of what I think are true DOORS hits..
These are studio recordings and quite frankly.. A band let loose with the full endorsement of sex drugs and rock and roll.. The engineers are always who can produce the perfect sound. In the case of LA. Woman.. Well.. Me thinks too many drugs were messing things up.. No excuse ya.. I know.. but it's bound to happen on wax..
Riders On The Storm.. Was the one hit off that album that made more sense..

For Dr. Wu..
The Doors brought in bass players Marc Benno and Jerry Scheff to play on the album. Scheff came up with the distinctive bass line after Manzarek played him what he had in mind on his keyboard. It took a while to figure out, since it was much harder to play on a bass than a keyboard.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is another example of what I mean by hit and miss. Jim was a poet…no disputing this fact. Some of his lyrics were actually poetry put to music. Here is where I see the “miss”; some poetry has a tempo & rhythm of its own. Quite a few Doors songs come across as semi-spoken lyrics rather than a song with singing….it’s like Jim has trouble creating a rhythm with the music.

This song is catchy, and it’s not a stinker, but Morrison’s vocals just …well….ruin it. Where is his beautiful voice? To me he sounds annoyed, and could’ve cared less what he sounded like….

Peace Frog

another vocal Miss, IMO…
I love this song but where is the vocal talent? Where is the melodic baritone? It’s a spoken monotone or shouting, but the band made it work….

Hello, I Love You (live)

Can you see what I mean?

I am sure his smoking, drinking, and drugs definitely affected his voice. To me he sounded either tired or annoyed a lot of the time.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.