Spooky Tooth (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Re: Spooky Tooth!

I heard it 25 years ago. I said to myself, "what the hell, this isn't Spooky Tooth". I would try again as I'm more into the experimental/symphonic prog. now than I was in my early twenties.

Drifter

Reaction score

I heard it 25 years ago. I said to myself, "what the hell, this isn't Spooky Tooth". I would try again as I'm more into the experimental/symphonic prog. now than I was in my early twenties.

Same here.

What I turned my nose up at and ignored when I was younger now sounds appealing to me!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Just listened to Spooky Two in it's entirety and giving it another quick rundown as I post this! The vocals and the soulfulness are what stands out here! I love soul music so the standout track is:

I've Got Enough Heartaches
(Soul and Gospel with a vocal like an improved Joe Cocker)

I also thought that "Lost In My Dream" stood out and was epic! Especially when it picks up at 1:20 and the vocals are awesomely dramatic! The build with the vocals, the marching band drumming beat into the angelic voice and choir of aaahs is a perfect audio dream!:

Lost In My Dream

joe

Reaction score

Soot, you're going to be 60's man yet.:D

Lead vocalist Mike Harrison is underrated IMO. Even Gary Wright(keyboards and best known for the song "Dream Weaver") vocals work well in harmony with Harrison. Spooky Tooth was the right band at the wrong time.

Here's what I think is a wonderful track, almost a gospel/soul approach:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

You're right! That is a good track Joe! BTW, thanks to Waynes World I've dug the "Dream Weaver" track since High School! :grinthumb

Certif1ed

Reaction score

Spooky Tooth are the band who first used the term Heavy Metal in conjunction with music - after the famous book, but before Steppenwolf.

In 1967, when they were known as Art (and released an amazing LP called "Supernatural fairytales"), they teamed up with Hapshash and the Coloured Coat to produce a trippy album extraordinaire, calling themselves The Heavy Metal Kids.

The album is called Hapshash and the Coloured Coat featuring The Heavy Metal Kids and the Human Host (If I recall correctly!).

Before they were called Art, they were called the VIPs, and one night at a big gig in Croydon, Chas Chandler (then manager of The Animals) came to the stage and asked if they'd showcase a guitar virtuoso he'd discovered.

His name?

Jimi Hendrix.

...and that was his first UK gig, jamming live onstage with Spooky Tooth.

What a trip!

Certif1ed

Reaction score
Re: Spooky Tooth

Anyone ever notice that the riff to Evil Woman sounds suspiciously like the riff to Sweet Leaf by Black Sabbath? And didn't Black Sabbath also write a tune called Evil Woman?

Could just be me.

I reckon the Spookies influenced just about every early "Heavy Metal" band there was - including Blue Oyster Cult.

Could just be me...

joe

Reaction score
Re: Spooky Tooth

No question the band was ahead of the times, the right band at the wrong time. Spooky Two I place in the "lost classics" category. 10/10 5 stars.

Black Sabbath's version of "Evil Woman" is a cover of the US mid west hard rock band Crow.

Supernatural Fairy Tales is a lot more psych than hard rock/blues. Pretty good stuff. Never heard the album from the V.I.P.'s.

I always thought the the term heavy metal was first termed in reference to Sir Lord Baltimore.

Big fan of the band. Have all thier vinyl. Nice to see another fan.:cheers2

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online