Spooky Tooth (Official Thread)

Fug

Reaction score
Re: Spooky Tooth!

If ever there was a "heavy" band, Spooky Tooth was it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I picked up Gary Wright's solo album "Dream Weaver" a couple of months ago, and I keep forgetting he was part of Spooky Tooth for some reason.:bonk:

Fever

Reaction score

Mick Jones of Foreigner joined Spooky Tooth in 1972 when they reformed.

Wildfire

Flower

retired
Reaction score

Spooky Tooth -- A Finishing School for Future Rock Stars
Apr 8, 2010 Michael Jefferson

Wright, Kellie, Ridley and Harrison. - Ethan RussellAlthough Spooky Tooth never reached mega stardom, many of the group's members found success in other groups, including Humble Pie and Foreigner.

Despite being the group’s most visible talent, it took lead singer Mike Harrison the longest to find solo success. After the band’s initial break up in 1970, Harrison recorded “Mike Harrison” in 1971, following with “Smokestack Lightning” in 1972. He departed the group again in 1973, releasing his third solo album, “Rainbow Rider,” a year later.

Feeling he was being mismanaged, Harrison quit the music business in 1975. Over the next thirty years he worked as a bar manager, milkman and export manager. Harrison was lured out of retirement for Spooky Tooth’s 1999 reunion album, “Cross Purpose” playing alongside original members Greg Ridley, Luther Grosvenor and Mike Kellie.

Coaxed into performing by the Hamburg Blues Band, Harrison recorded “Touch” with the HBB before forming his own band, “Trust.” Harrison released “Late Starter,” his first solo album in thirty years, in 2006. In 2009 he teamed with Wright under the Spooky Tooth moniker for a series of concerts.

Read more at Suite101: Spooky Tooth -- A Finishing School for Future Rock Stars Spooky Tooth -- A Finishing School for Future Rock Stars

joe

Reaction score

If ever there was a "heavy" band, Spooky Tooth was it.

Spooky Tooth was the right band at the wrong time (circa. 68-69). Luther Grosvenor (aka Ariel Bender) left to join Mott the Hoople then formed his own band Widowmaker with Bob Daisley (Uriah Heep & Blizzard of Oz) in the mid 70's in which they released two hard/blues rock albums in the vain of Led Zep. The second being better of the two.

Drifter

Reaction score

Funny seeing this thread sitting here because I've been on a Spooky Tooth bender myself lately. If there was ever such a thing as blues-prog, ST would definitely be that. I always enjoyed the joint vocals of Mike Harrison (his vocals reminded me so much of Steve Marriott) and Gary Wright. The one album of theirs that I haven't delved into yet is Ceremony which they made after Spooky Two. I guess Gary Wright wanted to broaden their horizons so he brought in French avant-garde composer Pierre Henry to help out. The fans by and large hated it, the album didn't sell and Wright left the band shortly after. All of which makes me more curious to hear it! The few songs I have heard from the album actually sounded pretty good. Can anyone vouch for Ceremony?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online