Register to remove these ads

Spooky Tooth (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by pooldude, May 8, 2006.

1. pooldude

pooldude Older than Dirt

One of my favorite bands, that started in the late '60s, but was more known in the U.S in the early '70s...was Spooky Tooth.

They were one of those British bands that you used to hear on late night FM radio...& go "Who are those guys"?

They never reached Superstar status...but man, did they have some great songs & musicianship!

Here's a link to check out their albums, with sound clips:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/artist/Spooky_Tooth/B000ARC5CO/103-4461091-1655036

Greg Ridley played bass, before joining Humble Pie.

Luther Grosvenor ruled on guitar, before changing his name to Aerial Bender & joining Mott the Hoople.

American Gary Wright sang & played Hammond B3, before becoming the synthesizer Dreamweaver.

Mick Jones later took over on guitar, until he formed Foreigner.

Chris Stainton played organ & Henry McCullogh played guitar & Alan Spenner played bass, in between playing in Joe Cocker's Grease Band.

Blues Wailer Mike Harrison was the long time primary vocalist.

I loved songs like "Waiting for the Wind" & "Better By You, Better than Me" & "The Wrong Time" & "Evil Woman" & their crushing remake of "I Am the Walrus".

Then...they were gone, by the mid '70s.

Does anybody else have some love, or opinions, re Spooky Tooth?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

Re: Spooky Tooth

good band. my dad actually named a dog after that band. good dog.
    I used to hear them on the radio a fair bit as well. Their version of "I Am the Walrus" certainly makes an impression.

Also, I give them extra brownie points for one of the darndest album titles ever!

Attached Files:

3. kevinha

kevinha Junior Member

Love spooky tooth. Have trouble finding music. it was great to see someone knows who they are.

4. TeleCat

TeleCat Blackmore's Advocate

Didn't Mike Harrison audition for the Deep Purple gig (among Rod Stewart and others)?

5. billtjr51

billtjr51 Senior Member

6. billtjr51

billtjr51 Senior Member

This gig was in 2004, so they are still performing:

Doubtless timed to coincide that that other reunion of battle-scarred veter ans just along the coast in Normandy, a re-formed Spooky Tooth played for 1, 500 eager Germans in a Hamburg beer garden on Saturday June 5th. The weather was soggy, the band (Gary Wright on vocals/keys, Mike Harrison also o n vocals/keys and Mike Kellie on drums, with newbies Michael Becker (bass, v ocals) and Joey Albrecht (guitar, vocals) had only rehearsed for three days but this was a snapshot of former and current greatness, with renditions of Spooky Tooth classics at least matching the recorded versions for intensity and at times (Better By You...) surpassing them. They cherry-picked 15 tunes from the Tooth canon (and a couple from Gary Wright's solo career, doubtles s as a qui pro quo for his participation in I Am The Walrus, from the only non-Wright Spooky Tooth album The Last Puff).

7. PickAttack

PickAttack ZIG ZAG MAN

I remember them back in the day.
    I caught on to them after the original members broke up or left and was buying Mott the Hoople, Humble Pie and Foreigner albums and I had to listen to these guys together that played in bands I really liked back then, for the longest time I thought Bad Company was also a Spooky Tooth spin off, seems to be a 6 degrees of separation in most classic rock bands somewhere down the line.
    I have their Tobacco Road and You Broke My heart So I busted Your Jaw albums.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  8. magnoliasteve

magnoliasteve Member

Spooky Two and The LAst Puff were great albums. The rest was pretty so-so in my opinion.

9. Flower

Flower retired

[​IMG]

:grinthumb

10. Hepcat

Hepcat retired

The "Spooky Two" album sounds fabulous on a good stereo!

:phones: