Rock Philosophy

S

Sir Cuitous

Big Gen, I share your like of what my high school english teacher called "Art Rock" for the same reasons as yours. Then there's the simplicity of the Clash and the Stones. A conundrum of a topic here. A friend once said his two criteria were "stony and tight". I guess tight means "well performed" and I think we would all want music that is well performed. We know right away when our favorite band is not playing well. As far as "stony", I would loosely define that as attempting to play music that transcends the mundane or commonplace (?). Good criteria overall. I nearly always distrust it when someone says "I like all kinds of music". It usually only takes a few questions to find out how true or false that statement might be. I was practically offended by King Crimson's Discipline album in it's entirety when I first heard it. I was hung up on the earlier versions of that band. Thankfully my friends kept playing it and by the third listen it was pulling me in. Now I truly enjoy the album. Some music is an acquired taste - like other things in life. Always try things twice, I say. I don't think musicians should cater to the audience and for the most part I don't think those with greater talent do. Just try it yourself. To stand in front of an audience and extend your emotion and message with an instrument and/or voice is a monumental task. I think the performer is simply concentrating on just getting it right.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Sir Cuitous said:
I nearly always distrust it when someone says "I like all kinds of music". It usually only takes a few questions to find out how true or false that statement might be.

Exactly - it usually means "I'm afraid to reveal just how opinionated I really am."

Anyway - great to see another ELP fan here.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Actually i'd like to reword that. They could just have a more varied palate. I like alot of different types of music. Not ALL, but damn near. They just weren't being very precise, taking for granted you'd understand what they were saying when they made that comment.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Oh...I'm quite narrow-minded myself....there's loads of genres of music I don't like...jazz, reggae, blues, complaint rock...and so on.

Maybe I just have a refined palate?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Spike said:
Though I've seen him dissed here a few times, I'm a big Dave Matthews fan. I love his imaginative approach to rhythm and his vocal style. But I rarely understand more than scattered pieces of his lyrics. I remember buying a new Matthews album a few years ago that came with printed lyrics. As I followed along with the words, I found them borderline moronic. I stopped immediately and just enjoyed the music for what it was.

Spike
I'm with you on this one. Love Dave Matthews. Even like his voice, which apparently bugs a lot of other people. You know, despite the fact that lyrics are very important to me, I never really gave his lyrics much thought. Guess maybe they are moronic. LOL

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
Exactly - it usually means "I'm afraid to reveal just how opinionated I really am."

Anyway - great to see another ELP fan here.

I really do like all types of music. Except ELP, of course. :)

Spike

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
I'm with you on this one. Love Dave Matthews. Even like his voice, which apparently bugs a lot of other people. You know, despite the fact that lyrics are very important to me, I never really gave his lyrics much thought. Guess maybe they are moronic. LOL

Matthews seems to improve lyrically with each album, at least on the best tracks. There are some excellent lyrics scattered on the Stand Up album, I think ("Everybody Wake Up", "You Might Die Trying" are two that I really like). Strangely enough, I think Matthews does his best writing on spiritual and political topics. The sexual lyrics are always moronic, in my opinion. He just sounds like a junior high kid working through the insecurities of puberty when he writes about sex, it seems to me.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online