Rock Philosophy

Big Generator

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Based on my limited experience of interaction with you here, it seems that your outlook towards music could preclude you from identifying merit in music your personality might not enough patience for.

Terms like 'complaint rock' are personality judgments and suggestion shallow processing. I don't think artists create music to complain. This tells me more about how you are perceiving it. It could be that some music never gets to the parts of you that it should be getting, but may be dismissed too quickly before you had a chance to fully engage yourself in the music.

I am not saying this is your case, but I think too that many people don't filter out the things that aren't relevent to the music. A guy like Prince, he's the type of artist who, because of his eccentricities, can be easily disregarded.

Or take The Monkees. There are alot of members here who I respect that think they were a legit, influential band that deserves respect. But it's hard for me personally to discount all of the TV show antics and fake band beginnings. So that's just my own bias because i'm not filtering out alot of the things that don't necessarily matter to the material that they did put out that was quality.

Let's say there's a good band, but the lead singer is highly annoying. Can I separate my distaste for the lead singer from being able to give the band a decent evaluation for all of it's parts? I hate Geddy Lee's voice, and Rush as a band doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings all over. But I know that they are a legitimate band with some respectable material.

Okay - I think I get what you're saying now. But in my defence I do try to filter out the qualities that irritate me in order to make a considered judgement. Take Bob Dylan....he's as annoying to me as Geddy Lee is to you but I don't doubt for a second that Dylan is a major talent. It's true that Prince's eccentricities have always made me suspect he is a phoney - but equally I have heard many, many Prince tracks over the years and it is the music above all else that makes me think he's overrated.

Also - I love all kinds of artists who are routinely dismissed as "cheesy" - and I'm able to filter out the cheese and the 'uncool' image to get to the heart of the song. Take Randy Edelman...Andrew Gold...Billy Joel...Survivor....Neil Diamond....Abba....I'd say the vast majority of people who go to sites like this one are unable to filter out the lack of 'credibility' these artists suffer from.

So I'm not sure that it's true what you say about me making rash judgements. Perhaps my posts are misleading because I tend not to qualify any negative feelings I have toward certain artists. I don't add "...but I respect him"..."in my opinion".."it's subjective after all". There doesn't seem to be any point adding these things - unless one is self-conscious about one's persona on these messageboards. But I reckon we are all equally opinionated and biased here. Don't you?

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
I think there's a distinction between someone who says "I like all types of music" and "I like everything!" I think the former is a valid, plausible and more precise thing to say...in essence "there is music from pretty much every genre that I enjoy." But the latter statement is a misnomer. "I like everything!" insinuates that the person has absolutely no analytical skills or standards.

I know a guy who claims to like every movie he has ever seen. But the reason he uses is "I'm the ultimate example of willing suspension of disbelief." I think he's kidding himself or just easily amused.

Last edited:

Big Generator

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
I know a guy who claims to like every movie he has ever seen. But the reason he uses is "I'm the ultimate example of willing suspension of disbelief." I think he's kidding himself or just easily amused.

Is that the Prince expert who's currently moving house?

J

jenny

Big Generator said:
I couldn't agree more! Oh...don't get me started on Steve Perry...all I have to say is God Bless That Man.

Oh...and maybe one more thing too...which of the Voice's various hairstyles are you into the most? Late 70s middle-parting...the early 80s Moustache ....mid-80s Big Hair....his early 90s Chereokee look...or the late 90s Republican Senator style?

I second your God Bless That Man. And as for the hair trends for me personally he always looks hot. But I love the late 70s look the best. :D And the 90s Republican Senator look the least. :eek: Cutting off that great hair is a sin. ;)

Big Generator

Reaction score
jenny said:
I second your God Bless That Man. And as for the hair trends for me personally he always looks hot. But I love the late 70s look the best. :D And the 90s Republican Senator look the least. :eek: Cutting off that great hair is a sin. ;)

He's looking more "rock" again now, though. Did you see the footage of him at the World Series last year?

Also - have you been to the Perryville site? They show a different clip of The Voice each week. At the moment it's "Raised on Radio" from '86....

Big Generator

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
BG, are you a guy or a girl? :confused:

I'm a guy...but yes...I've probably been spending too much time on Journey sites which are full of women...which has done wonders for my 'feminine side'.

Also - Steve Perry hasn't released a record for ten years...so we have to fill the vacuum somehow.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, but when you started talking about his hair I started to wonder if I had you wrong.

There is much irony here though in your discussion here, considering your 'phonies' thread as well.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Yes - much as I am a total Journey fanatic my enthusiasm is tinged with a certain irony. I don't quite know why I find the ludicrous aspects of 80s rock so uplifting...but whatever gets me through the day....

However...I do genuinely think that Perry is an absolutely outstanding singer...and I also reckon his Voice has miraculous inspitational powers. Take that loser baseball team from Chicago...no trophies since 1917...until they adopt "Don't Stop Believin'" as their anthem and start inviting Perry to the games....and lo and behold they win the World Series.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.