Rock Philosophy

Big Generator

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Matthews seems to improve lyrically with each album, at least on the best tracks. There are some excellent lyrics scattered on the Stand Up album, I think ("Everybody Wake Up", "You Might Die Trying" are two that I really like). Strangely enough, I think Matthews does his best writing on spiritual and political topics. The sexual lyrics are always moronic, in my opinion. He just sounds like a junior high kid working through the insecurities of puberty when he writes about sex, it seems to me.

Dave Matthews is one of those peculiarly American phenomenons...the ordinary Joe who becomes a multi-platinum artist. No-one gets this guy in the UK...

Hasn't Matthews taken over the 'nondescript superstar' slot from Hootie and the Blowish?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Based on my limited experience of interaction with you here, it seems that your outlook towards music could preclude you from identifying merit in music your personality might not enough patience for.

Terms like 'complaint rock' are personality judgments and suggestion shallow processing. I don't think artists create music to complain. This tells me more about how you are perceiving it. It could be that some music never gets to the parts of you that it should be getting, but may be dismissed too quickly before you had a chance to fully engage yourself in the music.

I am not saying this is your case, but I think too that many people don't filter out the things that aren't relevent to the music. A guy like Prince, he's the type of artist who, because of his eccentricities, can be easily disregarded.

Or take The Monkees. There are alot of members here who I respect that think they were a legit, influential band that deserves respect. But it's hard for me personally to discount all of the TV show antics and fake band beginnings. So that's just my own bias because i'm not filtering out alot of the things that don't necessarily matter to the material that they did put out that was quality.

Let's say there's a good band, but the lead singer is highly annoying. Can I separate my distaste for the lead singer from being able to give the band a decent evaluation for all of it's parts? I hate Geddy Lee's voice, and Rush as a band doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings all over. But I know that they are a legitimate band with some respectable material.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
Dave Matthews is one of those peculiarly American phenomenons...the ordinary Joe who becomes a multi-platinum artist. No-one gets this guy in the UK...

Hasn't Matthews taken over the 'nondescript superstar' slot from Hootie and the Blowish?

I can't say I really know Hootie so I can't comment on the comparison. But I don't think of Matthews as "nondescript" at all. He has a very singular vocal style, with imaginative arrangements centered around rhythm guitar, saxophone and violin. And he's built a lot of his rep on the quality and energy of his live act.

Spike

Big Generator

Reaction score
Spike said:
I can't say I really know Hootie so I can't comment on the comparison. But I don't think of Matthews as "nondescript" at all. He has a very singular vocal style, with imaginative arrangements centered around rhythm guitar, saxophone and violin. And he's built a lot of his rep on the quality and energy of his live act.

Spike

He looks like a mechanic though.

J

jenny

Spike said:
That sounds like a philosophy to me ;)

Spike

LOL. :eek: Good point Spike. :D Well if that is what you mean by the thread you got me. Some of it just seemed so convoluted and confused to me personally. :confused:

Big Generator

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Based on my limited experience of interaction with you here, it seems that your outlook towards music could preclude you from identifying merit in music your personality might not enough patience for.

Terms like 'complaint rock' are personality judgments and suggestion shallow processing. I don't think artists create music to complain.

Actually, I heard first heard the term 'complaint rock' in Clueless when Alicia Silverstone says it to the earnest student who was hanging around her house.

But forgive me...in future I'll try harder to 'process' lines like "I think I'm dumb...I think I'm dumb...I think I'm dumb..."

I can understand your observation about my impatient personality and my shallowness - but I'm still a bit vague about what you mean about my "outlook".

Big Generator

Reaction score
jenny said:
LOL. :eek: Good point Spike. :D Well if that is what you mean by the thread you got me. Some of it just seemed so convoluted and confused to me personally. :confused:

Yes - and this thread definitely has a solemn streak too. Thank you for introducing the concept of "fun"...we are talking about rock music after all.

Last edited:
J

jenny

Big Generator said:
Yes - and this thread definitely has a solemn streak too. Thank you for introducing the concept of "fun"...we are talking about rock music after all.

Thank you Big Generator. I agree with you 100%. And like you say "we are talking about rock music after all." Now that is a good point. For me personally it should be fun too. BTY I love Journy too. :D Steve Perry has the best voice and the fact that he was a cutie with great hair did not bother me one bit. :eek: But that voice is heavenly. :D

Big Generator

Reaction score
jenny said:
Thank you Big Generator. I agree with you 100%. And like you say "we are talking about rock music after all." Now that is a good point. For me personally it should be fun too. BTY I love Journy too. :D Steve Perry has the best voice and the fact that he was a cutie with great hair did not bother me one bit. :eek: But that voice is heavenly. :D

I couldn't agree more! Oh...don't get me started on Steve Perry...all I have to say is God Bless That Man.

Oh...and maybe one more thing too...which of the Voice's various hairstyles are you into the most? Late 70s middle-parting...the early 80s Moustache ....mid-80s Big Hair....his early 90s Chereokee look...or the late 90s Republican Senator style?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online