Rock Philosophy

newdawnfades

Reaction score
There are many forms of greatness. The brilliance of performing at the pinnacle to your demographic goes most rewarded. But what about the brilliance of surprise? Of crossing over racial, social status, and economic lines? Across genres of music? What THEN, would we call the person that crosses race AND reaches the pinnacle on the other side?
Mitch%20Mitchell%20Hendrix.jpg

We are forced to judge so many things in life prematurely. I picked up an album. It was odd. It didn't sound like anything i've ever heard. It had all these sound effects and voices. I don't know why everybody always told me how great this album was. So I put it away in my CD collection for 2 years. It's true the idea that the master will only appear when the student is ready.
Pink-Floyd---Dark-Side-of-the-Moon--C10055523.jpeg

We sometimes take for granted great things when they are still around. I'll catch them the next time they do a tour, unless there is no next time.
nirvana014.jpg

I don't get this guy. I don't get this form of music. I guess we will never understand him unless we answer this question; Should musicians cater to the audience or should the audience cater to the musician? Is there a secret genius locked away in those artists whose creations speak out so blatantly that it is your job to unlock their secret? Never resent the music that refuses to so readily explain itself to you. Does music exist in relation to YOU? Or should it exist by itself, and thus be understand as it's own encompassing entity?
miles-davis-nyc-1958.jpg

What's your rock philosophy?

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Rock music, like all music I listen to, appeals to me most often on the basis of two criteria:

1. Is it artistically satisfying?
2. Is there something of beauty in it?

Yes, even the rockiest of the best rock music contains an element of beauty, I think. There is beauty in Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun", in Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog", in the Beatles' "Helter Skelter". It is a wild and unharnessed beauty, but that makes it no less beautiful.

As for the art perspective, I think that the popular song itself is an art form at best. Even songs that aren't to be taken seriously as "art" sometimes aspire to art without intending to. I could name countless examples. But I'll just name one..."Gloria" by Van Morrison.

Peace,
The Rev

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Personally I think musicians shouldn't cater to the audience. Either the audience will get you or they won't. Music is really a personal issue when you think about it. What touches one person doesn't touch another and there's no logical explanation for it. You either understand Miles Davis or you don't. Sometimes it takes a while to learn to appreciate something and others it takes a bit longer and bit more contemplation.

I've learned to appreciate artists sometimes decades after I first heard them. The Doors are a good example. Didn't get what the fuss was about until about the mid-90s. Don't know why it took me that long but it did. Queen is another one. Then one day I discovered Brian May is awesome!!!

Sometimes I find if I search for the genius others see there, I find it. Other times, I can look forever and it seems I just don't get it. The Beach Boys are probably the best example I can give of my own personal attempt to understand but not being able to find a clue on it.

I think artists need to be true to their music - whatever that may be. People will either get it or they won't. Sometimes people take a while to get an artist as well. Mozart wasn't as popular back when he was alive as he is today among classical music fans.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Here`s a thread made for a guy like me. One of the reasons I have always enjoyed FZ and John Lennon so much is thier absolute refusal to buckle into the "system" These were two men that did what they wanted to, for different reasons, and the hell with the idea that there was a criteria to be met in order to be accepted. It`s "take it or leave it" and that has been more or less my credo for much of my adult life. I`ll admit, with a red face, that I, too, went through the plaid slacks and platform shoe stage...but back then that`s where the girls were.<evil grin>My point here though is that that was superficial...it wasn`t who I was. I`ve seen a lot of talent in the so called "rock world" go squandered because they followed the "blueprint" rather than do what was inside of them. I`m not saying that I`m pigeon-holed with very few artists. Nothing could be further from the truth. I`m just sometimes a bit disappointed that some VERY talented acts let themselves be pigeon-holed. I don`t ascribe to just one or two genres...though rap is repulsive and country is too smarmy for my tastes. Just think about the great composers in classical music. If Stravinsky wanted to be Beethoven, and he wanted to be Chopin, and he wanted to be Mozart...see where I`m going with this? Diversity is so key...and cookie-cutter music(most of the 80`s)just doesn`t work for me.

Jack

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
For me, the music has to excite or move me in other ways; it is all instinctual whether I like it or not....boring , repetiveness in some songs does not do anything for me where as drama, power and life to songs, do much.
There are usually different attitudes and philosophies behind songs and behind artists and people in general, it all comes out in the music.
Sometimes I can appreciate songs that I didn't in the past, it depends on my mood at the time, I suppose and quite possibly life experience as well.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
:clap: :clap: Beautiful post NDF....

I try hard not to hate music that I don't like and I don't understand because I know for a fact that my opinions on music change daily. Y'know there's pretty much no ablum in my collection that I loved the first time I listen to it... I usually have to listen to it first and then understand it and love it the 2nd time and times after that. In fact, if there's something that I have a strong hatred for I'm more likely to appreciate it and love it later on, since things I'm indifferent towards have rarely jumped the shark, but things I've hated have become my favorite things.

My philosophy on music is simply put... everything that anyone could ever create is worthy. Perhaps there are things people could create that even I would say are worthless... but typically I always see an angle where something could be considered admirable or great.

and now some personal recollections.... -

You know Nirvana is one of my most revered bands... perhaps even one whom I would call the best ever.... but I actually had Nirvana Unplugged for a year and I despised it. Wasn't until Alice In Chains shattered my ignorance of that kind of music that I gave Nirvana another try... oh yeah and also I'm pretty afraid that I won't get to see Black Sabbath ever 'cause I think this last Ozz Fest was their last...

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Id like to see Sabbath as well....I hear Bill Ward's health is not up to playing drums though a good subsitute would be all right.
I was playing in a cover band last year for fun and we did all the songs from Paranoid and Master Of Reality in rehearsal which were great to just let fly!

Big Generator

Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
Id like to see Sabbath as well....I hear Bill Ward's health is not up to playing drums though a good subsitute would be all right.
I was playing in a cover band last year for fun and we did all the songs from Paranoid and Master Of Reality in rehearsal which were great to just let fly!

What about Vinnie Appice? Is he still willing and able?

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I think that with professional working musicians, it basically is the situation where if you currently have a gig that your happy with , then you stay.
If Vinnie wasn't busy, he would probably fill in for Bill Ward....I don't think there were any hard feelings between Iomni and Appice when post-Ozzy Sabbath finally died, but I don't really know, of course.
Hey, if I was more well-known and connected, I'd audition....I'd have to shake the rust off and really get into strong shape( songs like Children Of The Grave and Iron Man take a HELL of a lot of energy in parts)but yes, I could do it!..
LOL

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online