Genres In Music Definitions

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I find it very confusing to try and figure out what band and their style of music played "fits" into what genre. So I went searching for a definition.

Came up with this.. Obviously, by this writers explanation of genres, it starts with the musician.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Even a genre definition leaves me confused.

I can agree that musicians define the genre of their music, and holy cow what a massive list those genres has become :

The big question is….Do we really need all these genres? Has the internet created this massive genre craze? Or is it deeper rooted, like for profit?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would remove Pirate, Pagan, Viking Metal as none of those are actual subgenres of Metal. All of those are just themes of a particular band but the instrumentation is most likely one of the actual genres ie Power Metal, Melodeath, Folk Metal, Traditional Metal.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
The big question is….Do we really need all these genres? Has the internet created this massive genre craze? Or is it deeper rooted, like for profit?
Oh.. it was so simple back in the 60's and 70's.. :heheh:

Romulus

Reaction score
Genres in Music is a tool to define different styles. We humans love to label different styles and it is also a useful tool to recognise the different style in question... Its nothing to do with profit, all it is identifying different music...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.