Prime and Cunishment's Guide To Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Some good things about them, they have a very "hipster-ish" sound. They have calming riffs, and the vocals are not that bad. The lyrics are also pretty good with this band. The videos below will show examples of that.

First track sounds good but the second track delves into too much Metal for my eyes. This is where all these prog metal bands loose me, sure parts of it are okay but the same chuga chuga guitar don't work for me. I'm a huge fan of prog but not much a fan of prog metal. Sure they got taleted musicians but its always goes back to that same formula.

In regards to what is prog? Its a broad genre with tons of sub genres. Prog covers many types of music and doesn't have to be top musicians (biggest myth).

PROG SUB-GENRES: (click on the type for link to good descriptions and albums)

Canterbury Scene
Crossover Prog
Eclectic Prog
Experimental/Post Metal
Heavy Prog
Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
Jazz Rock/Fusion
Krautrock
Neo-Prog
Post Rock/Math Rock
Prog Folk
Progressive Electronic
Progressive Metal
Psychedelic/Space Rock
RIO/Avant-ProgRock
Progressivo Italiano
Symphonic
Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
Zeuhl

Don't mean to jump on your thread P & C. Carry on, I'll be listening and reading your thread :)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Oh I appreciate the post. I was actually thinking back and forth whether I should jump into the sub genres of prog or not. But I think I will since you struck my interest. I may not go through all of them, but i'll definitely go through the ones that I am very familiar with.

I'm thinking instead of explaining the sub genre, i'll list some bands and artists in that specific sub genre for people to listen to. And I can use the links you posted as a source link to go at the end of each post.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
"It is the only rock genre in which the term "flute solo" has any meaning" :heheh:

Harkat

Reaction score
I like the diagram were it says 'music goes here' :heheh:
Thats how music should be played!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I like the album art chart.

"Most famous, least famous, butts, dongs"

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Let's get into a sub genre of Prog.

Comus
comus02.jpg

Holderlin
40723.jpg

Lehto & Wright
lb_lehto_and_wright.jpg

Ciccada
ciccada-a-child-in-the-mirror-1.jpg

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
The Cracked article is gold, I've had many a chuckle reading it! :heheh:

And the only two prog/folk bands I listen to are Mostly Autumn and Karnataka. I love both though :D

joe

Reaction score
Let's get into a sub genre of Prog.

Comus
comus02.jpg

Holderlin
40723.jpg

Lehto & Wright
lb_lehto_and_wright.jpg

Ciccada
ciccada-a-child-in-the-mirror-1.jpg

You have a big endeavour in front of ya P&C. I admire you taking on the huge genre of prog. Right on!:bow:

As you said, there is a lot of prog out there.

Comus is brilliantly bizarre and twisted, dark and scary. A masterpiece in the prog world.

Hoelderin is a new band for me. Excellent. Reminds me of this band:

Ciccada's A Child In The Mirror is one of my fav prog releases of 2010. I'm a sucker for beautiful female vocals in prog. The vocalist reminds me of Annie Haslam from Renaissance.

Some of my fav prog folk artists are Gryphon, the Strawbs, Pentangle, and Rabih Abou-Khalil, progressive mid-eastern folk.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
It's just the whole mid-eastern thing combined with prog gets me every time. I love it to no end, it's always got something i've never heard before, and continues to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.