Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal

PureProg_LG2.jpg

This thread:
There is a lot, and I mean A LOT of prog out there, and I just felt like I should create a thread to introduce you all to a lot of great bands out there that you may have never heard. Some you probably have heard of before. I will put videos, albums, bands, etc. etc.

I will also do my best to add in download links, and grooveshark links for your listening pleasure, that way your not left with nothing to listen to.

Why I call it a guide:
This is no means is the ONLY way to go about finding progressive rock and progressive metal bands, I just want to add my touch to the prog genre. It's nothing official either, it's just a way for me to have my own little nook in the prog section of the forum.

Feel free to add in some of your favorite prog bands, or give your opinions or feedback on any videos or bands that you see.

I hope you enjoy.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
First band. Myrath

I have talked about this band around the forum a little bit, but not in the depth that they deserve. Myrath is a progressive metal band from Tunisia. They have released two studio albums. Desert Call and Hope. Myrath has to be one of my all time favorite progressive metal bands that I've run into. They have a very unique sound in regards of what you can do with prog.

hope-300x300.jpg |
(DESERT CALL ALBUM ART IS CLICKABLE FOR A DOWNLOAD)

105456_photo.jpg

Zaher Zorgatti - Vocals
Malek Ben Arbia - Guitar
Anis Jouini - Bass
Saif Ouhibi - Drums
Elyes Bouchoucha - Keyboards, Vocals

My Inner War from Hope album

No Turning Back from Desert Call album

Last edited:

Harkat

Reaction score
I would like to know how progressive music is defined.
Like what is and isn't prog?
How can you tell? ect

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Next up: Harmony

Harmony is a Swedish Christian progressive power metal band. The group formed in 2000 and released their debut album Dreaming Awake in 2003. Bassist Andreas Olsson who is also a member of Narnia, Divinefire, and Rob Rock joined the group after receiving a recommendation from Narnia and Divinefire frontman Christian Rivel. They are known for their highly melodic vocals, progressive guitar riffs, and neo-classical guitar solos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_(band)

Note: I'll try to use as less descriptions from other sites as I can, i'm just having a bit of writers block.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I would like to know how progressive music is defined.
Like what is and isn't prog?
How can you tell? ect

This is all from my own opinion, but I think progressive music is really what it's called, its music that starts off a bit normal, but progressively gets better and better with more instruments, and harmonic vocals. Not all prog bands have harmonic vocals, some have screams, and growls. Through my experience though, I think a large majority of progressive bands can have either the harmonic vocals, or the calming vocals.

The way I can tell if it's specifically prog, is if there is a clear sense of the piano, keyboards, bass, guitars, and anything else that the band can conjure up to make a "progressively" better sound as their songs go on. It's one of those things where if you've heard enough of the genre, you can start to tell which artists are part of which genre. I've heard a lot of prog through the past year or two, and i've heard a lot of the same similarities between several prog bands.

But honestly, I don't really think there is a distinct answer to your questions, I hope my answers helped in some way though.

You kind of beat me to the punch though, I was going to post my personal thoughts on what progressive rock and progressive metal is. I mean, I suppose I still could.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I think this may become a bit more of an "my experience with prog" than an educational thing. Though...I will try my best to make it both. So far i've done some of the educational stuff. But now, I think i'm going to go ahead and share my experience with said genre. I will start off with the first band that I got into in this genre, and will share a little more experience, I want to mix it up a little bit, so I won't share everything in this one post.

First bands:
The very first band that I got into in the prog genre was if I remember correctly, Dream Theater. I had listened to the Systematic Chaos album more than anything on my iTunes at the time. I was deeply impressed by the quick quitar riffs and even more impressed at how they were able to throw in the keyboards as an instrument on a studio album. Keep in mind that this was probably the first time I had ever heard the keyboards in an actual band. I soon started to download and purchase more and more of their albums, even today I probably have every one of their albums including EP's and stuff that was never released. They had easily made it to be my favorite band at the time. People thought I was weird because they tried to listen to them and instantly said they didn't sound good. I think it really depends on your taste if anything. Prog isn't a difficult genre to get into if you really dig the kind of thing that prog has to offer.

Discovering more prog bands:
Through time, I had started to realize that Dream Theater was not the BEST of the best, but they were certainly extremely talented in what they did. I also began to do some google searches and youtube searches on other prog bands that I would be interested in. That in itself had introduced me to the magic of "Progressive Metal". As I listed above, Youtube had actually introduced me to Myrath, which is now one of my all time favorite bands, all genres included. They have the sound that I look for in a prog band. The vocals are perfect, the guitar solos are unbelievable, and the rhythm is amazing. The day I had heard them was the day that I started really researching more and more bands in both the progressive rock and progressive metal side of music.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Harmony is a good band. I have Aftermath and Dreaming Awake. I dont know Myrath, but like the vids you posted. Going to have to explore them :)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Very cool Magic. I'm sure you will enjoy what you hear, it was almost instant that I like their sound. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Some great prog guitarists:

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

gilmour.jpg

John Petrucci of Dream Theater

john.jpg

Alex Lifeson of Rush

Alex_lifeson.jpg

Steve Howe of Yes

Steve-Howe-Yes-Guitarist-Birthday-April-8.jpg

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Next band: The Black Noodle Project

The Black Noodle Project isn't one of my favorite progressive bands, but I figured I would include them anyway, considering I attempted to listen to them quite a bit. It's just something about them that I don't like too much, could be the sound isn't too "in your face", or they don't play heavy enough. They have talented, but I just don't think they're using it right. However, since they helped me in my journey through prog, they deserve a place on here.

Some good things about them, they have a very "hipster-ish" sound. They have calming riffs, and the vocals are not that bad. The lyrics are also pretty good with this band. The videos below will show examples of that.

And Life Goes On

cover_3839151722007.jpg

Stereoscope

cover_324122972010.jpg

Play Again

cover_21204792006.jpg

Eleonore

cover_115015912009.jpg

Play Again - rerelease

cover_135622972010.jpg

Ready To Go

cover_311413172010.jpg