Old rock songs which are nowadays politically incorrect

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Reaction score
So this weekend I was listening to a song that I knew as a kid and still really like when I realized that the lyrics would just not fly in our current hyper-politically-correct world. The song I was listening to was Vehicle by The Ides Of March. Can you imagine the blowback if a new song came out with these lyrics?

I'm a friendly stranger in the black sedan
Won't you hop inside my car
I got pictures, got candy
I'm a lovable man

So what songs can you think of which would just not go over very well today? (And, please, don't post the videos.) I know another that immediately pops to mind is the stalker song, i.e., Every Breath You Take by The Police.

Reaction score
Good Morning Little School Girl- originally done in 1937 by Sonny Boy Williamson and covered by many, many performers such as The Grateful Dead, Ten Year After, The Yardbirds, Rod Stewart,Johnny Winter, Van Morrison, Huey Lewis and more.

Good morning little school girl[x2]
Can I go home with
Can I go home with you
Tell your mother and your father
I once was a schoolboy too

She all dressed up and pretty
She all dressed up and pretty to me
If she don't be my baby
I'd soon to see her dead

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Back in 1992 Toad the Wet Sprocket released a single off their album Fear (1991) which was/is VERY controversial. It's about rape. I love the Toadies, but this song crosses the line.....

Hold Her Down

Take her arms and hold her down, hold her down, hold her down, hold her down
Until she stops moving
Until she stops kicking

And they don't know her but what the ****
They've got nothing else they can do
And they've no reason but still they come
And I'd have a hard time facing you
This crime, I've seen what a man can do

Until she stops screaming
Until she stops breathing

And they don't know her but what the ****
They've got nothing else they can do
And they've no reason but still they come
And I'd have a hard time facing you
This crime, the shame of what a man can do
I would've died from all the hell that you've been through

Take the night back, all they've stolen
All we took from you

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's an oldie, Baby, It's Cold Outside. Written in 1944 and recorded by lots of crooners and artists like Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Dolly Parton with Rod Stewart, and more recently Lady GaGa.

It's made to be a "call & response" song. In this case "wolf" (male) calls to "mouse" (female). It makes allusions to "putting something in the drink" to make her stay, her saying"no,no,no".

Baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd dropped in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands they're just like ice)
My mother will start to worry (Beautiful what's your hurry?)
My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
Well maybe just a half a drink more (I'll put some records on while I pour)
The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell) (Why thank you)
I ought to say no, no, no sir (Mind if move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?)
I really can't stay (Baby don't hold out)
Baby it's cold outside
Ah, you're very pushy you know?
I like to think of it as opportunistic

Porch Monkey

Reaction score
"Cold Ethyl" by Alice Cooper is ok, isn't it? :bonk:

Actually, that one was never very PC.
So, should song lyrics be censored now?
Curious that art has gone through various cycles of being more acceptable, to pushing boundaries, or even deliberately overstepping them to get a reaction, and back to more staid styles again.
To me, music is, in part, about pushing boundaries, regardless of what people might think, or perhaps even because of what people may think.

In fact, according to Oscar Wilde, “A true artist takes no notice whatsoever of the public. The public to him are non-existent.”
“The artist should never try to be popular. Rather the public should be more artistic.”

Should we limit what can be said in songwriting? Should it be controlled?
“People sometimes inquire what form of government is most suitable for an artist to live under. To this question there is only one answer. The form of government that is most suitable to the artist is no government at all. Authority over him and his art is ridiculous.”

So are the kind of lyrics we're talking about immoral? For books, Wilde wrote, "There is no such thing as an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all."

Should musicians not write about things we find distasteful? again, Wilde: "No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style", and, "Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art."

What musicians and other artists write about doesn't necessarily reflect what they themselves believe, nor are they suggesting a way of thinking or acting to others. Wilde: "All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors."

Our reactions to certain things have changed over the years, but I don't believe the function of art should change with it. Art will always mirror those who look at, or indeed listen to it. But in actual fact, the things that musicians once sang about haven't changed. Sick things still go on in society. The artist draws attention to those things, but it is not for him to judge them, or even to give his opinion whether they are right or wrong. "No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything."

Or maybe we should say Wilde's opinions are outdated?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@************

No artist is morbid unless their name is Marilyn Manson. ;). He gives me the creeps.

I'm in no way for censorship. Art is art, even if it brings a visceral response from listeners or viewers. :grinthumb:

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
In fact, according to Oscar Wilde, “A true artist takes no notice whatsoever of the public. The public to him are non-existent.”
“The artist should never try to be popular. Rather the public should be more artistic.”

Or maybe we should say Wilde's opinions are outdated?

No, we can just say, "Oscar Wilde was always full of sheep dip".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online