Musicians / Bands for Which Owning a "Greatest Hits" Compilation is Enough

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
^^I am sure TL is just tweaking yer tail feathers Annie.:D

Jethro Tull, M.U. Volume one is a great collection of his best early songs, I bought it in 1975 and it was the gateway to exploring the rest of his music.

For many years the only album I had of E.L.O. was a 2-CD album called "The Very Best Of...", which is practically worn out. Up to then, I didn't know about the history of the band. A friend of mine signed me up to the official mailing list and that was the beginning of my E.L.O. education. I haven't purchased any of the newer compilations because I love so many of the non-hit songs.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
My question was are the Greatest Hits or "Best of" enough for the artist in question or should one buy full albums? I don't think I have enough free time left in my life to listen to everything I already have but I am still on the prowl for something new LOL It's a disease :bonk:

Nothing wrong with that. But it depends on how interested you are. I'm sure any hardcore Allmans fan will tell you that you need to get way more than one album to appreciate the band, but for my money everything I want to hear of theirs is on that disc. Even if you end up buying more albums from certain bands, the greatest hits is always a fine place to start and it'll save you at least some time.

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
In my opinion (and I know I'll get flak for this): The Rolling Stones. I have their Forty Licks CD and it's sufficient for my Stones fix. Besides, all of the songs of theirs that I like are stretched out to one or two on each of their non-greatest hits albums. Best to get it all into a 2 disc set.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Gotta say the Hoodoo Gurus, but in this case it's because their greatest hits that I have is about 40 songs long :tongue:

Men At Work I manage just fine with too, same with The Eagles, Cold Chisel and many others that I don't feel like posting right now :)

BTW, I second the Journey statement. Pre-Steve Perry Journey is a completely different band, and none of those early songs are on their greatest hits as far as I can tell.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I can agree with The Stones to an extent. I mean, I'd never restrict my Stones collection to Forty Licks or Hot Rocks but they're definetly a band that lends itself to very pretty hits albums.

Slightly off topic but just happy to see another daria fan :)

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one. :cheers:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Annie:

How can you possibly limit yourself to just one greatest hits compilation by the Rolling Stones, a band that has a deeper discography than just about any other band that comes to mind? The Stones have had 74 charting singles alone in the United Kjngdom and the States and that ignores their many legendary album cuts such as "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler" which were never released as singles.

While not necessarily my personal favourites, here's my own guess as to the fifty most essential Stone tracks of all time:

Not Fade Away

Time Is on My Side

Little Red Rooster

It's All Over Now

Heart of Stone

The Last Time

Play with Fire

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Get off of My Cloud

As Tears Go By

19th Nervous Breakdown

Paint It Black

Under My Thumb

Mother's Little Helper

Lady Jane

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow?

Let's Spend the Night Together

Ruby Tuesday

We Love You

Dandelion

She's a Rainbow

2000 Light Years from Home

Jumping Jack Flash

Street Fighting Man

Sympathy for the Devil

Honky Tonk Women

Gimme Shelter

Midnight Rambler

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Brown Sugar

Bitch

Wild Horses

Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Tumbling Dice

Angie

Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)

Fool to Cry

Hot Stuff

Miss You

Beast of Burden

Emotional Rescue

Start Me Up

Waiting on a Friend

Undercover of the Night

Harlem Shuffle

One Hit to the Body

Mixed Emotions

Almost Hear You Sigh

Love Is Strong

And I hated paring my list down to that few selections.

:drums:

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.