Metallica set to release album with Lou Reed

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Hey, they didn't sound too bad together at the RRHOF show in 2009:

(sorry the video quality on YT is jumpy)

Thanks for posting that Magic...not too bad but I have to admit that at like 4:00 in, I was looing at my watch. :heheh:

Not used to Metallica being that simple I guess, but I am also very curious and look forward to checking this out and seeing what they are all going to do together.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't see myself enjoying this tbh

ANF

Reaction score
I'm not a Lou Reed fan either, but I loved his song with The Killers from a few years back. Projects like this are always best to proceed without any expectations because you might be pleasantly surprised by them.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I'll definitely give the album a listen when it comes out for interest's sake at least, don't think it will be my cup of tea though.

ANF

Reaction score
I think the problem as a whole, and I'm not talking about anyone specifically here, but generally Metallica's fans are usually very closedminded to music outside of the box Metallica's supposed to be in that whenever they try something different, people yell "foul" instead of trying to find merit in it. If a group like Pearl Jam or Wilco did an album with Lou Reed, their fans would be "this could be really cool", but I notice a lot of metalheads have this "not metal === crap" mentality that anything besides metal isn't worth listening to (just look at the way they always find a way to bash grunge on "That Metal Show"), I know some Metallica fans who are still anti-Black Album despite that its been 20 years and the album is now a bonafide classic.

And believe it or not, Lou Reed has fans who are snobs and think Metallica is beneath him as well.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate this attitude of fans being close minded if they don't think an album cut the mustard, Metallica tried that with St Anger, its close minded to expect fans to accept everything a band does too.
St Anger was the album that Lars called fans close minded for not liking which is quite pathetic, I get both sides of the argument though, I think the metalheads who are closed minded are those who turn on the band for making that one diabolical album, shit if we all did that no band would have any fans. Every band makes an album thats either average or plain garbage. Also those who call people who like particular albums posers. I see it a lot, because the majority hates something, anyone who likes it is just a poser and is not a real metalhead.
All these sorts of attitudes bug me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned the "Black Album" ANF, that was the turning point for Metallica, when they crossed over from being a Thrash Metal band to a more mainstream flavor. I like the Black Album, and have no problem with any artist/band stretching out and doing something different, after all if you don't like the new CD you can always go back and play the stuff you enjoy.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Metallica's experiments with Black album, Load and Reload were not bad at all, I found those albums either great or solid.
But the worst experiment that gets most fans is the nu metal attempt with St Anger, whenever I hear fans talk about bad experiments its usually that one.
The problem I have with Load and Reload is way way too many songs, too much filler.
Death Magnetic was a return to form somewhat although the production was pretty average like LG mentioned about Scream from Ozzy.

ANF

Reaction score
I hate this attitude of fans being close minded if they don't think an album cut the mustard.

Well I have seen it a lot. Granted, I said not on here. But I have seen a lot of metalheads who have this black and white "there are two genres of music... metal and crap" mentality and dismiss everything that isn't metal. I just think Metallica fans should approach this album with an open mind instead of preparing to hate it because Lou Reed doesn't sound like Anthrax. Lou and Metallica can actually help each other reach new audiences that usually ignore the other.

Lou's song with The Killers was AWESOME and I am not a Lou fan... that says all that needs to be said about how his work with Metallica might be.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online