Metallica set to release album with Lou Reed

ANF

Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned the "Black Album" ANF, that was the turning point for Metallica, when they crossed over from being a Thrash Metal band to a more mainstream flavor. I like the Black Album, and have no problem with any artist/band stretching out and doing something different, after all if you don't like the new CD you can always go back and play the stuff you enjoy.

I just find it funny some hate the album because of its mainstream nature. Nowadays that album is pretty much up there with Back In Black, Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side Of The Moon, Thriller, Sgt. Pepper and a few other albums in this very elite "all time mega-classic" club that continue to convert new fans every year, yet a lot of people hate it because for the first time Metallica really courted MTV and radio (even though "One" was a top 40 hit before, that was more a case of radio/MTV actually coming to them then vice versa). There were a lot of bad "sellout" albums in the 80's and early 90's that time has not been kind to (Kiss "Crazy Nights" anyone?") but here we are twenty years later and people are still loving Black Album, so obviously Metallica did something right.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I have seen it a lot. Granted, I said not on here. But I have seen a lot of metalheads who have this black and white "there are two genres of music... metal and crap" mentality and dismiss everything that isn't metal. I just think Metallica fans should approach this album with an open mind instead of preparing to hate it because Lou Reed doesn't sound like Anthrax. Lou and Metallica can actually help each other reach new audiences that usually ignore the other.

Lou's song with The Killers was AWESOME and I am not a Lou fan... that says all that needs to be said about how his work with Metallica might be.

I think the close minded ones are those who won't give an experiment a chance, thats being narrow minded but if they don't like it after they tried it, you can't call them close minded. If the band sounded like Anthrax I would completely give up on Metallica.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I do think Metallica became sell outs with St Anger. It didn't stop me from loving their stuff before that album. It also did not stop me from giving Death Magnetic a chance either. This though.......... idk.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets just say although I am skeptical I am prepared to give this a chance as long as Bob Rock is nowhere near it.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Snippet from the album

Not being a fan of Lou Reed the first bit does zero for me, though things start to improve when James comes in towards the end of the clip. Will try and give it a fair listen when it comes out, but I doubt I'll like it much.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online