Math Rock (without the equations and numbers)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I have taken on a new journey. This journey is called the genre of Math Rock. For I have found quite a few good bands on this journey thus far, instead of creating a band thread for each of them, I will introduce them here, and you can enjoy them, or not enjoy them, or whatever fits your fancy. This is going to have two specific parts to it, one will obviously be the videos and songs that will be placed onto this thread, but it will also be a place where I can go back and find a band if someone is looking for a band in this specific genre. I don't know a whole lot about the genre yet, so feel free to chime in if you'd like. This'll sort of be the same concept as the "Come on in to the CRF spa" where somehow it has turned into an ambient/post-rock thread. So this, will be a Math Rock thread. Post videos if you got them, or just sit back and listen to the wonderful genre. I'll keep it updated as frequent as possible. I am not an expert in the genre, nor am I an expert in any genre for that matter, this is just for listening purposes, I don't really feel like creating band thread after band thread, when one thread with a bunch of bands will work even better.

Ghosts and Vodka

And So I Watch You From Afar

Hella

Rodan

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
One band that I have created a thread for, but I want to be sure is included here, is This Town Needs Guns. A great band, where all the members of the band have their own talent to bring to the table.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I must say I never understood this sub-genre. What's different from standard rock?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I must say I never understood this sub-genre. What's different from standard rock?

I think it's more of a mixture of genres than an actual sub genre to be honest. There are bands that mix together math rock with indie and post rock etc. If I were to put a label on it though, I would label math rock as a different look on indie/alternative. But that's just me. As for what makes it different than standard rock? I would say that it has a less heavy feel. That's the only thing I can come up with in regards to that question.

Harkat

Reaction score

I find a quick wiki search gives you the basics of the genre or band.
I also know that there is a metal genre along the same lines called: Mathcore

Math rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock[1] that emerged in the 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords.[2]

Math rock shares its place of origin in the late 80s underground music scene of the American Midwest. Some earlier bands have characteristics of both math rock and post-rock, using instruments for textures rather than melodies and riffs, featuring atypical rhythms and some dissonance. The genres soon diverged: math rock concentrated on angular melodies, atypical time signatures, start-stop rhythms, and dissonance, while staying closer to rock music in sound and instrumentation. Post-rock, on the other hand, concentrated on heavy use of dynamics, creating soundscapes, and expanded the variety of instruments used, used a jazzier drumming style, and incorporated elements of shoegaze music.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Whereas most rock music uses a basic 4/4 meter (however accented or syncopated), math rock frequently uses asymmetrical time signatures such as 7/8, 11/8, or 13/8, or features constantly changing meters based on various groupings of 2 and 3. This rhythmic complexity, seen as "mathematical" in character by many listeners and critics, is what gives the genre its name.
That explains everything.
:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online