Is the "Art Rock" genre/label extinct?

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
You have to be kidding me PT and Steve wilson art rock? Love them but nothing they do is remotely art rock. Maybe I don't understand the art rock classification?

Drifter

Reaction score
You have to be kidding me PT and Steve wilson art rock? Love them but nothing they do is remotely art rock. Maybe I don't understand the art rock classification?

Why not? All the ingredients are there.

joe

Reaction score
I would put PT's albums from the 90's a prog/psych/space/ambient, very influenced by Pink Floyd. The sound of the 2000's is more heavy prog. though the last couple of releases Steven Wilson seems to be moving away from that. I hope he doesn't move too far.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider PT art-rock in the least. They're prog-rock in my eyes. About as cut and dry a case of prog there is as far as modern movers and shakers go.

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
I think the term "Art Rock" has become redundant and useless, not to mention too ambiguously broad.

It used to refer to the batch of post-Beatles intellectualized rock artists; everything from progressive rock groups like Genesis and Pink Floyd to The Velvet Underground and Roxy Music.

I just see Art as being a general human expression that we really don't have a right to call what is and what isn't art. Taking the time to arrange your flower pots in a specific manner is no less "artier" than a Rembrandt painting or a piece by Beethoven. Just like something like The Four Season's isn't any less art than Phillip Glass.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online