Is the "Art Rock" genre/label extinct?

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Hmm, we all knew art rock term variated from glam rock, hard rock, psych rock, prog rock and even jazz rock, so you can't really equalize art rock and prog rock. Anyhow, "new art rock" would definately be Of Montreal. Haven't listen to them for a long time, and don't have any need to do it now, I just recall they have costumes and were crazy.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Art rock died in the 70's or very early 80's. Todays bands that seem like art rock (of Montreal, Sigur Ros, Radiohead etc) are classified differently. I'm not saying they aren't similair to those old 70's bands it just that influences have change over all these years and its easier to classify them in other ways.

There are many different theories and write ups on the subject but I like this write up

Progressive Rock - Definition, Genres & Articles
at the bottom they list some books on the subject-I've read two of them both interesting reads if you are into Prog.

I also stick to their
SUB-GENRES

Canterbury Scene
Crossover Prog
Eclectic Prog
Experimental/Post Metal
Heavy Prog
Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
Jazz Rock/Fusion
Krautrock
Neo-Prog
Post Rock/Math rock
Prog Folk
Prog Related
Progressive Electronic
Progressive Metal
Proto-Prog
Psychedelic/Space Rock
RIO/Avant-Prog
Rock Progressivo Italiano
Symphonic Prog
Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
Various Genres
Zeuhl

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
not that I agree with all the sub-genres and labels that get tossed on music these day, but is it possible art rock is still very much alive but now called
avant-garde?

another genre label I hate is alternative rock.....alternative to what?

joe

Reaction score
not that I agree with all the sub-genres and labels that get tossed on music these day, but is it possible art rock is still very much alive but now called
avant-garde?

another genre label I hate is alternative rock.....alternative to what?

I never put much thought on the alternative label. In the late 80's when I first heard the term what came to mind was the alternative to the mainstream/pop/top 40. I'll check that out.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
What the definition is of Art Rock is a bit off-topic. Joe asked if there are any bands that could fall under that banner for the last 10-15 years.

Well of course there are. They might be hard find but they're out there. No styles die in the internet age. Art-rock isn't as popular of a term in light of things like noise-pop and such but there are still plenty of bands in the mainstream that could genuinely be identified as art-rock.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Well of course there are. They might be hard find but they're out there. No styles die in the internet age. Art-rock isn't as popular of a term in light of things like noise-pop and such but there are still plenty of bands in the mainstream that could genuinely be identified as art-rock.

Examples?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I thought of a couple groups I own and like that fit this and looked on Wikipedia and see if my thoughts matched!

The Decemberists
decemberists-the.jpg

The Arcade Fire
ArcadeFire1_4.jpg

While not technically art rock my two favorite bands ever were definitely VERY progressive in nature:

The Smashing Pumpkins
South FM

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I like the Decemberists, and they do fit the Art rock parameters.

I agree with Magic about "Alternative", I won't go into too many details but it always seemed as much about "Marketing" the newer rock bands as any real differences in the music.(Sort of like Tide detergent, every year it's "New & Improved", and I guess the record companies needed a hook to attract and keep younger fans by giving them their own "New" genre.)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I thought of a couple groups I own and like that fit this and looked on Wikipedia and see if my thoughts matched!

The Decemberists
decemberists-the.jpg

The Arcade Fire
ArcadeFire1_4.jpg

While not technically art rock my two favorite bands ever were definitely VERY progressive in nature:

The Smashing Pumpkins
South FM
yeah I just read the wiki notes on Art rock and a few other places. I get the philosophy behind the new surge in art rock like bands, heck Arcade Fire (listening to the new album now) and The Decemberists are two of my favorite current bands, but these bands influences come from too much other stuff to throw them into a pure art rock band. I guess its fair to say some bands have art rock tendencies but are not a pure art rock band. Then again I guess that could be said about the original ones too. :bonk:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online