Is Musicianship a Lost Art?

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Seems to me that actually playing an instrument isn't anywhere near being important as it was back in the Prehistoric days. Anyone with a computer can put out "Music". Canned instruments and auto tune appear to the norm nowadays. God I miss talent.

E-Z

Reaction score
All most seems like some snotty nosed freckled kid just outa nappies or diapers can pick up a Gibson and a fuzz box and plug into a 100watt Marshall and declare him or herself a "guitar hero" these days!. A true story I went into a guitar shop yesterday and happen to namedrop CREAM and ERIC CLAPTON and the guy behind the counter said "Who?. Never heard of either?." ???????????????????????????????? o_O

Last edited:

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Actually.. There is some mind blowing talent out there. Just needles in the haystack so to speak. Give a 2 year old a new cell phone and they can work it better than you..
Technology for them could be a guitar.. Drums.. Piano.. They learn how to master much more quickly..
Example... YoYoka is 8 years old.. and had no problem playing Bonham "Good Times Bad Times" lick for lick" she must have had pancakes for breakfast..:bow:

These 6 years old doing a classical duet.. IN PUBLIC!!
7 Year old..Konstatina acoustic.. No problem

I guess, old day's of radio and concert gave it a more special feel. Nowday's Internet takes the warmth out of not being there seeing it in person..

Last edited:

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Had to show you this.. I just bought a Yamaha 5 string bass and went online to see some demo's of it before I bought it.. These guys.. JUST SHINE.. Unbelievable talent.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
And then there is this... Makes you wonder what the next 10 years will be like..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have ZERO musical talent. I can’t read tabs or sheet music, I even hum out of tune. So my comments are in no way “expert”.

I love hearing dueling lead guitars and showboating solos. I love hearing fat & heavy Bass lines. I love hearing double thumping drums. I love hearing a Hammond, Mellotron, Moog or any electronic organ. I love a good piano spice or sax in my music, too.

I like hearing the real deal.

Today, electronics have become so sophisticated, it is difficult to tell if it’s real or not. It is possible to have a one man band.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Example... YoYoka is 8 years old.. and had no problem playing Bonham "Good Times Bad Times" lick for lick" she must have had pancakes for breakfast..:bow:
Amazing! It’s becoming rare for any youngster to be listening to classic rock, let alone NAIL IT on a drum kit.
And then there is this... Makes you wonder what the next 10 years will be like..
That was really cool! I actually enjoyed it. Maybe because it was a song of substance and not just electronic beats or experimental weird sounds.

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
I have ZERO musical talent. I can’t read tabs or sheet music, I even hum out of tune. So my comments are in no way “expert”.

I love hearing dueling lead guitars and showboating solos. I love hearing fat & heavy Bass lines. I love hearing double thumping drums. I love hearing a Hammond, Mellotron, Moog or any electronic organ. I love a good piano spice or sax in my music, too.

I like hearing the real deal.

Today, electronics have become so sophisticated, it is difficult to tell if it’s real or not. It is possible to have a one man band.
6,387 likes

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
I agree that there is some amazing talent out there of all ages. The problem is we have to either dig for it or run across it by accident. The crap that is on the radio today sucks, sucks bad, it's junk. Places like this are a gold mine. Keep posting the news stuff you've found

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Well Jeff Lynne has been a "one man band" for years. I'm sure if the benders & shapers were available back in Abbey Road - The Beatles would have used them. I like pedals and cry baby's etc... (it masks how bad I am!) Brian Eno, Bowie, Mike Oldfield... were cutting and pasting, but those guys possessed genuine talent.
Pap pop is what mainstream radio is... and a song by an 'unheard of' is, as about as credible and believable as the news!
The off button is my secret weapon!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online