Is the "Art Rock" genre/label extinct?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I don't really listen to modern music (sans Immortal Technique and occasionally Regina Spektor), but for a recent (i.e. later 90s) band that I think pretty much capitulates art-rock I would point at Cat Power...

Reminds me a heck of a lot of the Velvet Underground. She's considered indie rock but I consider her more of an indie/alt-rock crossover ala the Pixies, because she has mad indie aspects in her music but with more of a hard-edged electric rock sound which is more in vogue with alt-rock and was scrapped as indie rock evolved. That's the thing though... art-rock didn't really die it spread out and inhabits a lot of genres now. Art-rock is almost too broad of a term. There's a hell of a lot of rock musicthat tries to be art.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
That's the thing though... art-rock didn't really die it spread out and inhabits a lot of genres now. Art-rock is almost too broad of a term. There's a hell of a lot of rock musicthat tries to be art.
yeah that's my point maybe I shouldn't have said died out just that it mixed and spread out.

Drifter

Reaction score
Porcupine Tree could be considered art rock and their popularity continues to grow.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love Porcupine Tree, they are definitely prog/art rock to me. The first time I played one of their records, it had such an amazing Pink Floyd essence that I immediately picked up all their CD's.:tup:

Drifter

Reaction score
^^I love Porcupine Tree, they are definitely prog/art rock to me. The first time I played one of their records, it had such an amazing Pink Floyd essence that I immediately picked up all their CD's.:tup:

Steve Wilson is like a one man army in keeping art and prog rock alive. I'm a recent convert to him and I'm flabbergasted by the amount of work he's put out. Not only from Porcupine Tree but his other groups and solo stuff too. He doesn't stay in one spot either. Some of his music is very Pink Floydian while other stuff reminds me of King Crimson and Rush. There's also elements of psychedelia and post-punk in his work too. He's really all over the map.

Joe, if you're not up to date on Porcupine Tree, I'd suggest you'd try to change that situation in a hurry. You might be surprised to find out that art rock is still very much alive in Steve Wilson's world. It's great to see more and more people picking upon him, especially here in the US.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right about Steve Wilson he is very prolific and good at whatever he wants to do. Joe you should check them out, PT is easily in my top ten of Newer bands. Well bands that I was late discovering, wished I had caught on to them a few years ago.:bonk:

joe

Reaction score
^ Also one of my fav. bands and probably IMO one of the best artists in the last 20 years. In Absentia is splendid. I've ranked it 5 stars. I haven't given an 5 star rating to any release in last 10 years except this.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is high praise indeed Joe, I must have missed your earlier post when you mentioned you like PT.:bonk:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online