I Am Going To A Bob Dylan Concert!!!

Foggy Hat

Reaction score
I have been to a Bob Dylan concert.
He is nothing like he used to be, he cant sing at all anymore, I thought it was terrible.
But hey, it's Bob Dylan, you have to go to ay leat one concert.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I saw him last year and I thought he rocked pretty hard. Yeah, I pretty much agree that he stopped giving a shit a long time ago and if you're gonna change the lyrics it WOULD be nice to understand them and he didn't even lay his hands on a guitar...

BUT, once or twice he wobbled out into the middle of the stage in his silly little cowboy suit, put the harmonica to his mouth and filled that place up with the sound of his harmonica. I can't speak for everybody but for ME it was WELL worth it!

Also, his cracked and ragged voice was perfect on newer songs like "Mississippi" and "Tweedle Dum..."
yeah, everybody said he sucked but I can't say I agree. I don't know why he still does something he seems to get no joy from but I'll never forget being in the same room with the man's harmonica.

mojoman

Reaction score
One of the funniest things I've seen at a concert was when Paul Simon and Dylan did a duet of Sounds of Silence.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
runtfan said:
I hate to be the one to break the news, but there's nothing remotely gutsy OR artistic about being well paid to take the stage and then sounding like crap...and apparently not giving a rip one way or the other.
I know you really dig him and I know he's a "legend" and all that, but that's just lazy on his part. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Dylan's never been a great singer, but mumbling his way through his lyrics - really the only thing he's known and respected for - is pretty unforgivable.

Shame on Bob. Anybody who goes to see him live is either starry-eyed and blissfully ignorant, or they deserve what they get.
It's one thing if he's out there trying to make it work and just doesn't have it anymore, but that doesn't sound like that's the case. Sounds like he's just going through the motions. Don't cut him any slack just because he used to be "Bob Dylan".

The notion of "we payed for our seats, so give us what we want" is absolute hogwash. If you don't like what Dylan does then don't buy the seats. No artist owes any of their fans a single cent or ounce of effort. They make their music, and if you like it then you can pay for it. No one to my knowledge has ever been forced to pay for an artist's work. Especailly in the age of the internet, you can get an extremely good look at what you're likely to get out of a concert before you even buy your seats. Bob deserves to be himself, regardless of if people don't like who he is. I can't think of so much as a ghost of a reason as to why anyone would have the right to tell Bob Dylan what he should or shouldn't be doing with his performances. And that applies to every artist, regardless of whether they're respected or not. Money isn't worth more than art, guys. Recognition for good art is something that should be given in tribute or thanks to a good artist, not something that should be held over an artist and bastardized into the idea that the artist has to pay dues to US! That's just ridiculous.

Runtfan, you are wrong about me, and I'm insulted that you would make such assumptions. My respect for Bob Dylan right now has nothing to do with his legendary status or my enjoyment of his music. I respect Bob more for what he is doing right now than for anything he did in his past. Back in the day Bob was an amazing artist, and there's a chance he'd make my top 10 list, but his old glory has next to nothing to do with why Bob Dylan is one of my quintessential idols right in the here and now.

If people don't agree with me about Bob, that's fine. It's rare that people appreciate music from the angle that I appreciate it at, and there's nothing I can say about that. But I can at least explain my position. Bob Dylan isn't only a great singer, he's the best singer of all-time. There's far more emotion, expression and strength in his voice than I've ever heard elsewhere, and there are only a few other idiosyncratic singers I've ever heard that can go near him on his astoundingly impressive command of unique voice. I legitimately enjoy Bob's singing voice vastly more than other singers. I listen to him side-by-side with others and his froggish drawl is just so much better than the rest. Everyone else sounds smooth and nice, and everyone else sounds just like each other. It's boring and it does absolutely nothing for me. Bob's voice today isn't the voice of an amateur or someone who's simply a bad singer. Even if you can't understand the words and even if he mumbles (I happen to like mumbling vocalists), his voice still has an immense amount of character and strength. It's not like going to an Open Mic and seeing people who aren't "good" at singing, Bob's voice is fine, it's just different from the norm. I am an excruciatingly cynical person and I accept very little of anything as being legitimate or good. To me. very little music ever stands out from anything. Bob today has an incredibly rocking band and the most unique voice in music. Would I have gone to see him live if I didn't know his early work? No, simply because I wouldn't know about him. But if today I heard an artist who was just like Bob Dylan sounds today except without the notoriety, I'd jump on the train and go see him play! Plus, I have an immense respect for Bob Dylan's true rebel attitude. If you're only rebelling when it makes you look good, then you're not a true rebel. Today the snobs of the public tell Bob that he's got to be cordial to the crowd, and he's got to sing nice so we can hear the lyrics, well **** them! Bob Dylan seems like he's following himself instead of following the expectations that fools try to force onto him, and that's something I respect more than almost anything. I'm not saying people are wrong to want Bob's show to be pleasing to them, it's obviously not wrong to want that. I am saying that Bob Dylan is a human being with his own heart and mind and noone has the right to force their will on him. The kinds of things that Bob does are so much more real to me than the 'rebellion' of others. If Bob's gonna be lazy, well then I applaud him for it, because I wanna be lazy and I love what he's doing anyway. My appreciation of Bob has nothing to do with my respect for him as a lyricist or a legend. I've never respected Bob much for that to begin with! If you disagree with me, that's fine, but no one could possibly deny the validity of my opinion on the matter. Everyone appreciates music and artistry differently, that's why it's not something boring and tedious like math and science.

runtfan

Reaction score
OK, well, I can't argue with this kind of blind idolatry, BUT I can tell you this. Bob Dylan DOES owe you, me , or anyone who pays to see him, well more than an ounce of effort. If he just wants to sit on his throne somewhere and do whatever he does and people happen to want to watch him, then you could say he doesn't owe anyone anything.
Once those concerts get scheduled and the tickets get sold, Bob Dylan absolutely owes (at least) an ounce of effort. A concert tour is NOT like just making an album and throwing out on the market for anyone who may be interested. A tour demands some level of commitment on a nightly basis - that's a fact. There's no artist that has ever lived that that wasn't true for. There's some that can't or won't deliver, but they obviously owe the ticket buyers the effort.
If he doesn't care, and I don't know whether he does or not - maybe he just sucks, he needs to stay home.
If you think Bob Dylan (or anybody else) is so great that he doesn't owe ticket buyers an effort, you've been blinded and you might be in for a rough ride. People are gonna see you comin' a mile away.

algernon

Reaction score
BOB DYLAN RECEIVES PECTORAL IMPLANTS

When Bob Dylan appears on network television's CELEBRITY BOXING next month, his own mother may not recognize him, much less fans. Sources close to the reclusive singer confirm that Mr. Dylan has undergone surgery to beef up his slendor frame. "He is taking his upcoming fight with Brian Wilson very seriously. He has been training very hard, but no amount of training can make up for what Mother Nature has denied". The source continues that Mr. Dylan has undergone a "radiomyral pectoral implant" with ten pounds of human flesh transferred onto his chest cavity. The flesh-donor, Mr. Dirk Driswell, granted this reporter an exclusive interview: "I am a SERIOUS fan of Bob Dylan and when I heard what he needed I was delighted to volonteer." Mr Driswell said he underwent a six hour procedure during which both his buttocks were surgically removed and implanted onto Mr Dylan's chest. "So far the tissue seems to be conforming nicely" Driswell said, declining our invitation to sit. "As a SERIOUS FAN I think I can safely say that nobody is as into Dylan as I am."

algernon

Reaction score
FANS STUNNED AS DYLAN GOES SURFIN'

Bob Dylan's fans have come to expect the unexpected. Throughout his remarkable career in show business the songwriting legend has prided himself on changing styles. turning his best known songs inside out on the concert stage. But when he closed his show with his new rendition of the Beach Boy classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice" many of his fans thought he may have gone too far. "I came to hear songs of despair sung in agony, not surf pop fluff!" said Ben Downes. a serious fan. Interviewed during a break in vollyball action at his plush Malibu estate, Mr Dylan explained: "I want to record PRETTY songs for a change. I'm bored stiff with three chord blues and folk songs. I've had a belly full of Leadbelly!" Sources close to the pop Icon say he is staying pretty close to the original Brian Wilson arrangement although he has penned four new verses for the song. "The new verses build on the experience of the character, taking him into marriage, through divorce. to a mystical encounter with an enigmatic dwarf named Waldo", said the source. Also included on the new album is Dylan's version of the Jimmy Webb classic " MacArthur Park." " Bob Dylan is a rebel. He is all about CHANGE. And what could be a bigger change for Dylan than doing PRETTY SONGS?" continued the source. When asked if his new incarnation as a lounge singer might be too much of a stretch for die-hard fans the poetic pontiff said with a high-pitched giggle: "I'm the postman--I just deliver the mail!"

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I know Dylan fans who think his new material, and his current Tours are among his best work, that it ranks right up with his surfing. :D

I don't agree but I'd feel presumptious to say they didn't know what they liked. He's a musician, he goes on Tour, people buy tickets, some people like it. some people don't.

same as it ever was.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
runtfan said:
OK, well, I can't argue with this kind of blind idolatry, BUT I can tell you this. Bob Dylan DOES owe you, me , or anyone who pays to see him, well more than an ounce of effort. If he just wants to sit on his throne somewhere and do whatever he does and people happen to want to watch him, then you could say he doesn't owe anyone anything.
Once those concerts get scheduled and the tickets get sold, Bob Dylan absolutely owes (at least) an ounce of effort. A concert tour is NOT like just making an album and throwing out on the market for anyone who may be interested. A tour demands some level of commitment on a nightly basis - that's a fact. There's no artist that has ever lived that that wasn't true for. There's some that can't or won't deliver, but they obviously owe the ticket buyers the effort.
If he doesn't care, and I don't know whether he does or not - maybe he just sucks, he needs to stay home.
If you think Bob Dylan (or anybody else) is so great that he doesn't owe ticket buyers an effort, you've been blinded and you might be in for a rough ride. People are gonna see you comin' a mile away.

Quit lying to yourself about me runtfan. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm blind. That's arrogant and self-important of you. "Blind idolatry" has absolutely positively nothing to do with my post, and you are wrong if you refuse to believe that. Number one, I like what Dylan is doing and would like it no matter who it was coming from. Didn't you read how I never saw Dylan as an idol to begin with? His current actions are specifically what make him my idol. Number two, I ask the same thing of Dylan that I ask every single musician I see, no matter who or what they are. I ask that they do whatever they choose to do. No matter what they choose to do, that's all I ask. (It's also something that is conveniently impossible to fail at) If I don't like what I get, I don't pay. If I like what I get, I pay. It makes no difference to me how much effort gets put forward. Why should that be more important than the music? I bet that Kurt Cobain was putting more effort into his guitar at most Nirvana shows than Jimi Hendrix was at the Isle Of Wight, since Jimi was bored & tired of the scene, while Kurt had to concentrate hard to play and sing at the same time.

Your opinion on the duties of musicians is vastly different from mine, and all we can do is agree to disagree on that issue. When I pay for a concert I'm paying for the artistry of the artist(s), and artistry in my mind knows absolutely no boundaries.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online