I Am Going To A Bob Dylan Concert!!!

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
Spike said:
Sorry. I was hoping against hope that you were going to enjoy the show. Dylan's been one of my heros since the mid 60s. I saw him about 18 months ago (my third time) and it was worse than pathetic. You have to wonder if he (a) doesn't know how awful he is; or (b) knows but doesn't care. I'm not sure which would be worse. I find solace in the live vinyl boots I have from the 60s and the Don't Look Back movie.

Spike

After reading parts of his Autobiography, I would go with B.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Spike said:
...You have to wonder if he (a) doesn't know how awful he is; or (b) knows but doesn't care. I'm not sure which would be worse...

Actually, I think a third option is possible...(c) he doesn't know or care!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I admit when I saw Dylan live I was freaking pissed! I was like "OMG I can't understand a ******* word he's singing." But since then I've come to understand that Bob Dylan's uniqueness is what makes him the greatest singer in the history of the planet. So if I ever see him live again I bet I'll love it. Bob Dylan is a TRUE rebel. Everybody else depends on sounding good, but Bob Dylan, true artist that he is, has the guts to sound like crap. And it frickin' works!

algernon

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
. So if I ever see him live again I bet I'll love it. Bob Dylan is a TRUE rebel. Everybody else depends on sounding good, but Bob Dylan, true artist that he is, has the guts to sound like crap. And it frickin' works!
:eek:hyeah: I love it! Sounds like a line from Spinal Tap, doesn't it? :eek:hyeah:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Dude, I was being dead serious. And I've never seen Spinal Tap...

runtfan

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
I admit when I saw Dylan live I was freaking pissed! I was like "OMG I can't understand a ******* word he's singing." But since then I've come to understand that Bob Dylan's uniqueness is what makes him the greatest singer in the history of the planet. So if I ever see him live again I bet I'll love it. Bob Dylan is a TRUE rebel. Everybody else depends on sounding good, but Bob Dylan, true artist that he is, has the guts to sound like crap. And it frickin' works!

I hate to be the one to break the news, but there's nothing remotely gutsy OR artistic about being well paid to take the stage and then sounding like crap...and apparently not giving a rip one way or the other.
I know you really dig him and I know he's a "legend" and all that, but that's just lazy on his part. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Dylan's never been a great singer, but mumbling his way through his lyrics - really the only thing he's known and respected for - is pretty unforgivable.

Shame on Bob. Anybody who goes to see him live is either starry-eyed and blissfully ignorant, or they deserve what they get.
It's one thing if he's out there trying to make it work and just doesn't have it anymore, but that doesn't sound like that's the case. Sounds like he's just going through the motions. Don't cut him any slack just because he used to be "Bob Dylan".

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
I didn't mind the singing so much, it was the intruments and the way he made the songs sound. If that is how he sounded on his albums, I would not have liked him. I went to see a bad version of what use to be good, but it would still sound close to it. I was expecting only the voice to be worse, not everything.

algernon

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
Dude, I was being dead serious. And I've never seen Spinal Tap...
Sorry...I didn't mean to sound rude. it just struck me as funny. I have to agree with Runt. Even Frank Sinatra said "The only thing I owe the public is a good performance." If Dylan couldn't do any better that would be one thing. But he CAN and his shoddy contempt for his PAYING audience is inexcusable.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
I agree 100% but I am trying to decide if I would actually tell him that, if given the chance.

That would be really awkward :p

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Not going to see Dylan this time......

But I did see the Man at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas for one of the Rubin Hurrican Carter events in the 70's.

Also, a week or so later I saw him with his band in Austin, and I also saw him come out and do a song with Joni Mitchell, at her concert -- 3rd encore......