How do you arrange your CD collection?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I used to put mine in order but that is, well, just to orderly. Now I put all the songs on my ipod and throw the cd's in a box. Life is to short.

I think after my next move, I'm gonna go this route because I rarely listen to a CD anymore. All my music is on my iPod or on my computer.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I have discovered that is the easiest way to go by just copying cd's on the puter and Ipod and forgetting about the cd's. One down side is if you somehow lose some music. My John Lee Hooker has met a misfortune on the puter and he is not on my Ipod yet. Now anyone who loves John Lee Hooker can understand the seriousness nature. Now where is that box?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Good point about losing music. Fortunately, I have OCD when it comes to my CDs so even if I throw them in boxes, they'll probably be alphabetized boxes. LOL I've got 7000 plus CDs at this point so it's going to be horrible if I have to replace music on my computer or iPod and didn't know where the CD was.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I do mine alphabetically and then chronologically. For example my Deep Purple collection is nestled between Charlie Daniels and Rick Derringer. Then I put the albums in order of thier release. Shades of Deep Purple, Book of Talisyn, etc. Just wondering.

Same here!

:grinthumb

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Alpha-Chron™©®

WARNING: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!

Any unauthorized use of this term without the expressed written consent of Dave78 is a violation of applicable copywrite laws, and is prohibited by law and subject to criminal prosecution.

© Dave78 Records, Inc. MMX

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^That's pretty cute Dave :D

Alphabetical and chronological.

I have two areas, though, the recently listened to goes into one area, also alphabetized. This way I can keep listening to some fresh music.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I have all my stuff in CD wallets of varying size. My largest CD wallet contains the bulk of my rock collection, my second 2 largest contain "kvlt" metal and "unkvlt" metal respectively, then I have a smaller wallet with pop and rap, one with noise and experimental, and a medium sized one with the rest of my rock collection. And then I have my burned CDs on spindles. From there I don't do it alphabetical, I do it by band in a hierarchy, best bands first.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I used to be extremely anal about putting everything together alphabetically. That worked for the first few hundred discs, after that, it got to be kind of major pain when I'd go buy a half dozen CDs and have to move EVERYTHING over 1-5 slots to the right or down to the next shelf, etc. I used to have everything in single-slot type cases, not just stacked side by side on shelves, so you couldn't just slide them over a tad.

Once I got into DJ'ing as a business, I started putting everything into grundorf cases and then I'd sort stuff more by genre in each case. Having most of my stuff in these big heavy cases made it kind of a pain to just go and grab a few cds for playing around the house or in a car, but I made it work.

One thing I despise is those cases with the plastic flaps (or wallet-type cases). I like ALL of my CDs in jewel cases when I'm not playing them. Far less chance of stuff getting scratched up and/or ruined. It takes up a LOT more space, but for me, it's worth it.