How do you arrange your CD collection?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Alphabetically by band and then by year of release. I do not have compulsive obsessive disorder except where the order of music is concerned. Even the cassettes in my car had to be in order in a case. I don't know how people sleep at night, when they have damaged or broken CDs/cassettes drifting around the interior of their car.

:oyea:

I agree, I Have to know where my music is and it Has to be in some sort of order. When it comes to laundry etc. anarchy reigns, but my music collection is in Perfect order.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I don't know how people sleep at night, when they have damaged or broken CDs/cassettes drifting around the interior of their car.

Then you'd have a stroke if you looked on the passenger's side in my car. Scattered with cds. Huge scratches, cracks, dirt, etc from being stepped on. scattered all over the seat.

They're all burned cds, though. I do not take good care of my cds, and I know this about myself. So I take the measures I need to in order to keep my cds in good shape.

The first thing I do when I get a new cd is to burn a copy and put the original on the shelf. That way, the original stays brand new.

I have zero tolerance when it comes to cds. As soon as a burned cd develops a scratch or a skip, it's not a big deal. I just toss it on the floor. Blank cds are pretty cheap.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I used to be fully anal about it, alphabetical and then chronological.

But now it's just alphabetical, not in order of release. Top shelf is singles and EP's, the following 9 shelves are albums.

The real OCD area is my list. I've re-done it so many times, and that is in artist by name and then the order of release, with studio albums, live albums and compilations all logged separately.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Alphabetically by band and then by year of release. I do not have compulsive obsessive disorder except where the order of music is concerned. Even the cassettes in my car had to be in order in a case. I don't know how people sleep at night, when they have damaged or broken CDs/cassettes drifting around the interior of their car.
I'm not alone... :tongue: People should post pics of their collections just for us to suss it out.

Tarn

Reaction score
I used to be extremely anal about putting everything together alphabetically. That worked for the first few hundred discs, after that, it got to be kind of major pain when I'd go buy a half dozen CDs and have to move EVERYTHING over 1-5 slots to the right or down to the next shelf, etc. I used to have everything in single-slot type cases, not just stacked side by side on shelves, so you couldn't just slide them over a tad.

I do mine alphabetical otherwise I can't find anything, but I still have that problem you had Lynch of single slot CD racks rather than shelving, and now have a rack of about 100 CDs not-in-alphabetical order because it's a bitch to move all the others out of each slot to fit the others in

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online