Collections Software

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
Being a 'classic rock' fan, as well as a jazz fan, opera fan, blues fan.....means that I have a collection of stuff taking up a shitload of room in my house. It also means that I need a handy way to organize all this stuff.

Physically I use Ikea storage for albums, and a hacked-together cabinet I made out of scrap wood 26 years ago. I use those cassette racks and a cd rack, too. So, physically I'm good, everything is tidy and organized.

But, what about reports, catalogs, history, and whatnot? What about using data like - how many rock albums from 1967? And other correlation tasks, etc.

Many people like to use their discogs account as it provisions a database for them. That's cool and all, but - I like to keep my data with me and actual collections software lets me do a whole lot more.

On my GNU/Linux box (Debian, the only one) I use Tellico. Where it shines is its ability to deal with massive data and allowing me to create as many custom fields as I like. It's got a handy search function where I enter the cat # and it will search Discogs, or others, for me to find that recording, then I hit a button and the data is in my collection.

Tellico exports to html, too, so I can post a table into or solely as its own web page - which is very cool.

I can arrange and present my data in myriad ways and data correlation is wicked fast. I can produce reports saved as pdf or html (and csv), I can loan a friend an album and keep track (heh, as if...), etc., etc., etc. I love this software.

There are other collections managers and it seems like most of you (heh, ALL?) run Windows. What is your favorite collections program?

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 9

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members