Eric Singer fires back at Peter Criss

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The other thing I did notice with Singer...is that the songs are played a lot slower than what they used to be. I'm not talking about when Peter was speed racing through them, like around 78-79 either....just in general. From the old studio albums, and the shows from like 74-77

But Eric Singer is one of those meter pocket drummers.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
The other thing I did notice with Singer...is that the songs are played a lot slower than what they used to be. I'm not talking about when Peter was speed racing through them, like around 78-79 either....just in general. From the old studio albums, and the shows from like 74-77

But Eric Singer is one of those meter pocket drummers.

You are totally right. They are a tad slower. The thing I miss most however is the "GROOVE." Listen to 100,000 Years on Alive! The drums have that groove to them. That extra "snare hit" that makes the drum rhythm "bounce" a bit. The kind of groove only a drummer influenced by jazz/swing would have. When KISS plays this song nowadays, Eric backs it with a basic, straightforward beat. The original drum rhythm was always a HUGE part of what I thought made that song so great.

"Meter Pocket Drummers" are more well suited for faster metal bands that require more "streamlined" drumming.

I do like Eric's drumming, but his stile or more suitable for mid 80's "Speed Metal KISS" than the 70's stuff.

Khor1255

Reaction score
In his prime Peter Criss had quite a solid meter as well. It was one f the things that stood out about his drumming.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I looked over at Gene and he was smiling from ear to ear. I could hear the cash register in his head going Ca-ching, ca-ching, ca-ching.

And you left the reunion tour because of...uh...what was it again?

Oh, that's right. Not enough money.

Boy, if that isn't the Cat calling the Demon greedy.

Maybe a bit of that 'cha-chining' he heard was in his own head.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
And you left the reunion tour because of...uh...what was it again?

Oh, that's right. Not enough money.

Boy, if that isn't the Cat calling the Demon greedy.

Maybe a bit of that 'cha-chining' he heard was in his own head.

The guy was getting $10,000 a night while Ace was getting 35,000. When Thayer took over for Ace, he was getting $25,000 a night. You mean to tell me you wouldn't complain about THAT situation? Seriously?

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
The guy was getting $10,000 a night while Ace was getting 35,000. When Thayer took over for Ace, he was getting $25,000 a night. You mean to tell me you wouldn't complain about THAT situation? Seriously?

That's one way to look at it.

Another way would be:

"I'm playng drums on stage in front of thousands of fans screaming for me, I should probably enjoy my unbelievably good forutne to have the opportunity to be back atthe very top. AND I'm getting paid $10,000 a night to do it!!"

$10,000 a night was probably more money than he made in a night in the 15-16 years he was away.

Of course, if it wasn't as much as he was making, I can see how living $10,000 paycheck to 10,000 paycheck be a financial hardship.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
The guy doesn't even receive any royalties for the Alive IV album, when he was promised 25%. Peter was brought back to bring fans back. I don't know about you, but if I left my family for Australia with the promise of getting a nice payday for my work and then was cheated out of it by scandalous managers and lawyers, I'd be "complaining" a little bit myself. The guy wasn't even "allowed" to play on the Psycho Circus album, other than Ace's song, "Into The Void," which in my opinion is one of the better songs on the album. It's hard to imagine he "wasn't capable" of playing on Psycho Circus, when he pulled off the Alive IV Symphony crap just fine. Last time I saw KISS was with Peter in 2004 and he played fantastic. I've always been a huge KISS fan, but Gene and Paul make it impossible for me to speak on their behalf at this point, with all the garbage they spout to the press. We get it. They hate Ace and Peter, but for the sake of the fans, keep that shit in your autobiographies and move on with the new Ace and Peter that are "so great." Maybe then Peter and Ace will shut their traps about it, as well. That said, can't wait for Ace's next book! Paul's shouldn't be bad either.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I agree 100% that Peter & Ace have been getting punked for years.

I'm just saying, if Peter thought he was being jobbed, he could have handled it a little better than leaving in the middle of it.

From where I sit, Peter was more concerned with his money than anything else.

Yea, I know Gene's always been concerned about his money. But he never walked off in the middle of a tour.

For the last 126 years, he's been putting on quite a show for the fans.

The first time Peter left, it was because he had personal poison. That's cool with me. No song or tour is more important than a person's life.

But this exit was ugly.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I agree 100% that Peter & Ace have been getting punked for years.

I'm just saying, if Peter thought he was being jobbed, he could have handled it a little better than leaving in the middle of it.

From where I sit, Peter was more concerned with his money than anything else.

Yea, I know Gene's always been concerned about his money. But he never walked off in the middle of a tour.

For the last 126 years, he's been putting on quite a show for the fans.

The first time Peter left, it was because he had personal poison. That's cool with me. No song or tour is more important than a person's life.

But this exit was ugly.

What exactly do you mean by "leaving in the middle of a tour"? When he left in 2004, he was told by Paul Stanley "we heard you coughing after shows" when his contract expired.

One thing that seems to be overlooked is that KISS had actually been reduced to playing smaller venues in the early 90's and they would STILL be had the original guys not come back. G+P needed those two just as much as they needed the KISS reunion.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I absolutely LOVE Peter Criss. He's my favorite drummer next to Bonham. I don't care if the "Cat Man" is technically the best or not. He added a nice groove to KISS' music, and KISS isn't about virtuosity anyway. They are a great hard rock band, with excellent songs, and really good vocals (That includes Peter)....The show is just the cherry on top really; without good music/songs they wouldn't have made it so big. This is my favorite drum solo ever, and this performance is perfection. Original KISS were fabulous. KISS IS Gene, Paul, Ace & Peter.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online