Roger Whittaker Dead at 87

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
UK folk singer Roger Whittaker has died at age 87. He came to prominence during the 60's and 70's with hits that include "Durham Town" and "I don't Believe in If Anymore". Perhaps not known to many on this site, he still had a place in my heart with his eclectic mix of folk and pop which I would describe as easy listening. R.I.P. Roger :rip:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...lk-singer-famous-for-durham-town-dies-aged-87

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
The Last Farewell....
The Whistler from Nairobi has indeed sadly passed, his music I always associate with my late Father... infectious baritone voice and 'that Whistle'.
It was his first single Steel Men that drew me to him, a very credible cover of Jimmy Dean's old song. I interviewed him and we drank tea on my Radio Show - (he resided in Ireland for a short time)... an absolute gent with no ego.
You'll be missed - RIP.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
The Last Farewell....
The Whistler from Nairobi has indeed sadly passed, his music I always associate with my late Father... infectious baritone voice and 'that Whistle'.
It was his first single Steel Men that drew me to him, a very credible cover of Jimmy Dean's old song. I interviewed him and we drank tea on my Radio Show - (he resided in Ireland for a short time)... an absolute gent with no ego.
You'll be missed - RIP.
It must have been awesome to have met him. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Also, very pleased to see that he is indeed known and admired on this site even though his music was not strictly from 'My Generation". There was an almost timeless air to his music that appeals to many.

Arkie

Reaction score
" I interviewed him and we drank tea on my Radio Show - (he resided in Ireland for a short time)..."
You should post some snippets from your interview, that would be awesome.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online