Eric Singer fires back at Peter Criss

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Kiss drummer Eric Singer has sharp words for Peter Criss, but during a recent interview he never stoops to the level of insults thrown at him by the band’s original timekeeper.

Singer, whose three tours of duty in the band date all the way back to 1991 and bookended Criss’s two reunion stints with the group, sounds weary of critics that claim he’s trying to imitate his predecessor: “I play for the song, and I play for the band. That’s what I play for first. Not for myself, not to appeal to a drummer in the audience.”

Criss took a few jabs at Singer in his new book ‘Makeup to Breakup: My Life In and Out of Kiss,’ and Singer took the high road, mostly, during his retorts at the end of a converstation with RockMusicStar.com. “I don’t have nothing against the guy, he’s done nothing to me personally,” Singer said. “I may have my own personal opinions of how I feel about him as a drummer, or how he’s conducted himself, that I may or may not agree with everything, but that’s really their (Criss, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley‘s) beef.”

Singer explains that he was 100 percent genuine in asking Criss to join the band during the 1995 Los Angeles Kiss Konvention, an offer the former Catman called the opposite. He also explains how current Kiss guitarist Tommy Thayer helped Criss re-learn the band’s material before the 1996 original lineup reunion tour, and says Criss has also turned on Thayer.

“You gotta remember, this is Peter’s chance to get some more attention for himself,” Singer explains. “Because, he really hasn’t done much since he’s been out of Kiss.”

“I think the ultimate good way is to take the high road in life. We’ve all had good and bad things happen in our lives. A lot of times, when things don’t go our way, it’s understandable why people become negative, or bitter, or cynical about something, but hopefully, they say that time heals, and I do believe that’s true. Hopefully, we all get to that place in our lives when we look back at our experiences, and we try to remember the positive and the better things about them, rather than the negative and bad things.”

Singer-Criss.jpg

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm a fan of newer KISS and what not, but Eric looks silly in Peter's make up. Not to mention, you have to take ANYTHING any current member of KISS says with a grain of salt, as they are trying to protect their "business investment."

As for the "Reunion" and what not, this is EXACTLY what Peter states in his book...

There was going to be a (KISS) convention in L.A. on June 17, and I wanted to take Jenilee (Peter's daughter) so she could get a better appreciation for what her dad had done. I asked a journalist to get me in, and he had called Gene, who promptly called me.
"Peter, you don't have to ask somebody else, you're part of the band's history. This should be your place, too. We'll send a limo to pick you up. You'll be treated like a king, because you are. Whatever you want is yours. Why don't we have lunch tomorrow at the Sunset Marquis and discuss it?" Gene could really bullshit you.
I had just come off a Criss tour and I was playing really well and my voice was great. I'd just bought a Mitsubishi 3000 and I was living in Venice with Lynn. I felt good about myself for a change. So I pulled up to the hotel and Paulie (Paul Stanley) was standing there in his leather pants and tight velvet shirt, opened to the waist, and cowboy boots. I think he wanted me to see how good he looked right off the bat.
He was kind of surprised to see me driving such a cool new car, but we exchanged pleasantries and walked into the hotel. Gene ran up to me all dramatic, as if he'd missed mee all his life. He picked me up, held me in the air, and hugged me. I was thinking, ****ing bastard, I'd like to stick a knife right in the ****ing side of his neck---because I still didn't like them, and I thought they were up to something as they always were.
We ordered lunch and began catching up.
"We think you should sing at the convention," Gene said. "We'll have a great time. And we're actually rehearsing in an hour right around the corner. Why don't you come over?"
Okay, so they wanted to test me. I went along with it. We got to the hall and I said hello to Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer, the latest replacements for Ace and me. Immediately Gene told me that the whole idea of me singing was Eric's. I didn't say anything, but I knew it was bullshit. Eric might have come up with the idea, but knowing them they put it in his head. They're trying to make this schlep look like a hero. Eric started sucking my ass and telling me how much he liked the way I sang, especially on "Hard Luck Woman."
"You want to sing it now?" Gene said.
"No, I forgot the lyrics," I lied.
"We have them right her," one of them said, and sure enough there was a music stand with the lyrics set up on it. They were going all out to see if I could still sing. I had been singing that song with Criss, so I sang the shit out of it and they were blown away.
I drove back thinking, What the **** was that all about? Then I called Tall Man (previous band mate in Criss). "Watch out, Captain, they got a trap for you," he said. "You're going into uncharted territory and those are ****ing Vulcans, man.
"I'm aware of that," I answered.
(forward about 5 paragraphs...)
When I walked up on that stage and the whole place went absolutely crazy, I felt so good. I looked at Jenilee standing off to the side and she looked so proud of me. I felt like a million bucks, and I just wanted to sing the best I ever did. Gene and Paul probably thought that I would be doing it to impress them, but I was really doing it for my kid.
I hugged Paul and Bruce and then sat down next to Gene to share his microphone.
"You know, originally Peter just wanted to come by and be with you and us. It was actually Eric Singer who said, "Why don't we get together and play?" Gene had to get that bullshit in. We went into "Hard Luck Woman" and the place went crazy. I couldn't believe that my daughter was standing to the side seeing all these people screaming for me. It was a real golden moment. We finished the song and I high-fived everyone. I looked over at Gen and he was smiling from ear to ear. I could hear the cash register in his head going Ca-ching, ca-ching, ca-ching.

I could tack on a ton more, but I hate typing. Buy the book. It's totally worth the price.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
JFC, Peter sounds like a bitter old woman who got dumped by her man and is holding a 30 year grudge.

And I say that as a fan of the band from every era since inception (well, except for Unmasked.... cool album cover, super-weak album).

Khor1255

Reaction score
Well, knowing the cast of characters involved it sounded pretty likely to me.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
For me Eric is better drummer, and much better SINGER 2_sm4.gif (sorry for pun), than Peter Criss. And I don't care, who wears Cat's make-up, if he can sing and playing cool.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Not me. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that....well you know the rest. There was a fire and sense of excitement in early Peter Criss playing I just don't hear in any of the rest. Yeah, he seems to have genuinely gotten lazy or even lost it later on but they never successfully replaced him in my opinion and this was a significant part of their decline to my ears.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I agree that there is a "Style" to Peter Criss' playing that is very unique, and to me will always be the original sound of the band. Reading Peter's take on it here from the book, I think there is a bit of validity on both sides.

It's really not that hard to believe that Gene would use Peter if he could for extra $$$ and at the same time there is a bit of whining going on where Peter is concerned and he should just move on.

But if he fully moved on and didn't whine?? We wouldn't have this book, which to be honest, I'm dying to read. :heheh:

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I kind of took it as "Peter getting things off his chest" in his book. He speaks very highly of the fans, if anything. I can't understand why everyone is chastising Peter for his remarks, when Gene was just as merciless against Peter in his book.

Peter was the best drummer for KISS in his prime. Just listen to the "non-hit" type songs like 100,000 Years, Black Diamond, Watchin You, Parasite... there's a groove there that those early 70's drummers had that no Eric can replicate.

Don't get me wrong... Eric Carr was amazing and definitely brought a heavier approach to the band, which in my opinion is exactly what they needed to do in the 80's... all those 80's albums, up til Asylum and great! Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade... not so much. Singer is a good, tight drummer... but I can't think of anything "remarkable" he has done with the band, as far as drumming is concerned. Both Criss and Carr had definining drum moments in certain songs. I just never got that with Singer.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I never understood that more triplets and double bass makes a better drummer in terms of soul and feel.

Again I think Eric Singer is GREAT myself and I love the last two CD's.....I'm just sayin' :)

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
For me Eric is better drummer, and much better SINGER 2_sm4.gif (sorry for pun), than Peter Criss. And I don't care, who wears Cat's make-up, if he can sing and playing cool.

Really? Listen to ALIVE and try to convince me of that. Songs like 100,000 Years, Black Diamond, Watchin You, Parasite, She, etc... I don't hear that "groove" when Eric Singer plays these songs live. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of current KISS and even Eric Singer (Thayer, though. ECK.), but the current KISS doesn't have ANYTHING on that original line up and NEVER WILL. The last time KISS was really, really great (Musically) live was in 2004, which was Peter's last tour. Peter was definitely in top form, as if he knew that would be his last hoorah. Much better than the other "reunion era" shows I had seen in the passed. Unfortunately, Thayer was guitarist by then... he played great, but as a performer he is such a snooze.

Sure, Peter probably isn't what he used to be, but neither is Paul Stanley. Did you see the "Live on Letterman" thing the day Monster was released? Watch any of the "KISS KRUISE" stuff on youtube? The man's voice is shot. KISS tunes their guitars two steps lower now in order to accommodate Paul's current vocal range. It's sad to see my favorite band grow old.

I'm a little aggravated that Gene and Paul always say miserable things about Ace and Peter. Sure, A+P do it too, but G+P always have the media to bitch and moan about the two. Paul stating "we were never friends" in the press recently really rubbed me the wrong way. They've been doing this for damn near 3 decades now. Out of respect for long time KISS fans, G+P should take the high road (sort of like Eric did in a recent interview). I don't understand people condoning G+P's bashing, yet Ace and Peter mention things in their book and feel the wrath of current KISS fans. Makes no sense to me.

I think the last two records are great as well. Let me rephrase that... I think "Sonic Boom" was a fantastic album. "Monster" is an album with a few really great songs, a few mediocre songs and a lot of filler.

As for singing, Peter had a nice, rough voice that was perfect for songs like Hard Luck Woman and even harder rocking songs like Black Diamond or Strange Ways. Eric? He's simply TRYING to mimmick Peter. His song on Sonic Boom was pretty good, but the song he sings on the new album is just... cheap!

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online