"Eddie Van Halen owes me an apology!"-Sammy Hagar

foreverblue

Reaction score
David Lee Roth is Van Halen. Anyone else who has sung for that band has attempted to fill his shoes and at best has been keeping his seat warm, Dave hasn't needed to worm his way back into his own party. The VH brothers for some reason couldn't get their heads straight in 96 when that tour prepping comment was supposed to have happened. The reception they got at the MTV awards showed how much the people wanted it, the timing was right, it made great business sense to reunite then, only the brothers couldn't see it.

Personally, I think Cherone or at least a 3rd vocalist was already being lined up and Dave got used.

Dave's VH catalogue has sold more units than both the Hagar and Cherone era's put together. Dave set the bar, a bar which will never be matched by anyone, let alone Sammy Hagar.

i think you'll find the hagar era sales might exceed daves era. 1984 went diamond , i think 5150 and ou812 went diamond too.

and yeah dave got used.... like sammy,alex and gary did.

actually i stand corrected. it was over 20 million in the u.s for the sammy era. [thats 4 studio] and 1 live album.
the dave era was
that's over 34 million for the dave era. [thats 34 million for 6 studio albums] compared to 20 million for 5 albums with sammy. thats a pretty damn good showing from the sammy era van halen.

plus best of volume 1 went 3 times platinum
the best of both worlds went platinum
so i guess a fair few million people believe sammy to be part of van halen too.
i stand corrected

Last edited:

foreverblue

Reaction score
One person's opinion doesn't make it another person's truth.

You have your opinion and I have mine. That's cool. What's great about a site like this is that everyone has their say, as long as it's civil, you know?

Oh, and BTW, Eddie and Alex are Van Halen, not Dave. Just my opinion.

hey vehicle i think you'll find the dave/sammy conflict is mainly in the heads of fans. did you notice how powerage stops short of putting any of the blame on eddie , it's always sammys fault :rolleyes:

it must also be sammy's fault that the sammy era van halen sold 20 million plus albums.

foreverblue

Reaction score
also i noticed dave stopped having platinum albums after his 3rd full length solo. it seems the diehard dave fans didn't want to stay diehard after say 1991?

scarabus

Reaction score
I'm a VH fan since the release of their first album.
It was a blueprint of the first Montrose album (with Sammy!!!!!).

Both Dave and Sammy recorded great albums with Eddie and Alex, but also had some lesser great moments.
To me VH is Eddie and for a minor part Alex.
Eddie's guitarwork defines the sound of the band, not the voice.

Dave is more the showman of the band, Sammy was more the singer.
Dave lost a lot of power on the last VH album, Sammy sounds great on the last CF album.

The press should stop writing about what Sammy or Dave has to say about each other.

It's just like Gillan is asked about Blackmore, although he left the band almost 20 years ago.

Let the music do the talking.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Both Dave and Sammy recorded great albums with Eddie and Alex, but also had some lesser great moments.

Dave lost a lot of power on the last VH album, Sammy sounds great on the last CF album.

The press should stop writing about what Sammy or Dave has to say about each other.

It's just like Gillan is asked about Blackmore, although he left the band almost 20 years ago.

:think: Not to keep dragging this thread on into hell and back, I just thought Sammy was addressing the band and not "Dave" or mostly Eddie and Alex.
Once again for those who havn't followed the inside debate about the falling out of Sammy and the Halens, it was a contractual snub that they laid on Sammy for the final tour.
The new record label or management wanted Van Halen to do a greatest hits LP.
That didn't sit well with Sammy and of course Eddie was off in Hobo land and dealing with his own demons. He was in no shape to pull off writing another album due to his constant changing of everything that was written in the way of new material.
Eddie wanted everyone to lay their tracks down and he would come in "alone" and play the chops to it. Trouble was.. He's a perfectionist and as much as we love Eddie's shreddlious licks.. He couldn't settle for anything..

Last edited:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

:grinthumb

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
i think you'll find the hagar era sales might exceed daves era. 1984 went diamond , i think 5150 and ou812 went diamond too.

and yeah dave got used.... like sammy,alex and gary did.

actually i stand corrected. it was over 20 million in the u.s for the sammy era. [thats 4 studio] and 1 live album.
the dave era was
that's over 34 million for the dave era. [thats 34 million for 6 studio albums] compared to 20 million for 5 albums with sammy. thats a pretty damn good showing from the sammy era van halen.

plus best of volume 1 went 3 times platinum
the best of both worlds went platinum
so i guess a fair few million people believe sammy to be part of van halen too.
i stand corrected

5150 sold a shit load of albums... because people wanted to hear what Dave's replacement sounded like. Yet ou812 sold far less.

The best of Volume 1 contained 2 new tracks from Dave and a best of his work combined with the best of Hagars. Why the **** do you think people bought it?

It's obvious to me The Vol. 1 collection did well considering it contained new music from DAVE ERA VAN HALEN.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
A couple posts were edited and there is no need to go into it here.

(any questions PM me)

But a couple lines appeared to be insulting. Let's not get personal here.

Keep sharing your opinions and examples, but HAVE FUN! :grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Love Roth era and have an affection for Hagar era. The only thing that grates is Hagar's continual blabbermouth outbursts.

BTW Hagar often gets accused of softening the Halen sound into something approaching AOR/ Hair metal, but let's not forget that Roth's Skyscraper was heavily produced and in that same vein, so given the fact that keyboards figured very heavily on 1984, it's feasible that 5150 would have sounded as it does, except with Roth vocals.

The debate will never end, but it won't stop me listening to I, II, 5150, *******. or A Different Kind of Truth as a I have a want to.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cucukakek89apk

Members online