Eagles (Official Thread)

Matt

Reaction score
The birthplace of heavy metal (AKA Birmingham) / L
What Matt, no 'Lyin Eyes'??!! (my own all time favourite Eagles track)

That and New Kid in Town would probably have been next! Getting that list down to 20 was hard enough without getting it down to 10!

Witchy Woman will probably always be my favorite Eagles track, but you can't go wrong with a single track on this album, which by the way, is the best selling "greatest hits" in history. If I'm not mistaken, it's the 5th highest selling album of all time only behing Thriller, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black and Bat Out of Hell.

The_Eagles_-_Their_Greatest_Hits_%281971-1975%29.jpg

Seventh highest I think, behind two Michael Jackson albums (urgh), Back in Black, DSOTM, something by Whitney Houston and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

I like Witchy Woman too, there was never really another Eagles song quite like it, to me it was a very unusual version of rock I felt, but I'm not sure why. It sounds really good here with the guitars different to the original: (What on Earth is Frey talking about at the start?)

It's the second highest-selling here in the States too Lynch, which is odd because I could have sworn for awhile it was first? You always see DSOTM popping up on the charts again though so I guess it's not too unbelievable, but I can't help but wonder how many of those sales are from stoner kids trying to be "cool" (not to underestimate PF's success or the greatness of that album though).

It was level with Thriller I think, but obviously MJ's death knocked sales up again. A lot of people in my college (well, two excluding me) actually like Pink Floyd, as well as all their Eminem etc rap carry on, so PF've done well!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Seventh highest I think, behind two Michael Jackson albums (urgh), Back in Black, DSOTM, something by Whitney Houston and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.
Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find any solid figures on MJ's Bad album. I do know that the sales of both Thriller and Bad went up by a few million when he died a couple yrs back. Anyway, I am not 100% positive on Bad having sold more than Eagles GH yet, but I'll see if I can find a solid number.

As for Whitney, it's really not a "Whitney album" per se, but rather the soundtrack to the movie The Bodyguard (1992), and again, another album that had sales that went up by millions when she OD'd earlier this year.

Matt

Reaction score
The birthplace of heavy metal (AKA Birmingham) / L
Well, well, well; nye on 7 months and no-one has expressed further thoughts of how absolutely epic the Eagles are. I'm disappointed, so let's change that.

Recently, I've really gotten into the Desperado era of the Eagles - the Old West concept album, and I have to say, it's probably my favourite album of all time. Desperado, Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw Man are Eagles classics; Doolin-Dalton is one of their most underrated songs as a whole; whilst Saturday Night and Twenty-One are very Leadon-orientated full on Country & Western; with Frey's West Coast rock influence demonstrated on Out of Control. The Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise contains harmonies to the level of Lyin' Eyes and beyond: on the whole it's a brilliant, brialliant piece of work. If I had to order the Eagles's seven studio albums, I'd go:
- Desperado;
- On the Border;
- Hotel California;
- One of These Nights;
- Long Road Out of Eden;
- Eagles;
- The Long Run.

As much as I adore Joe Walsh's influence on the band, I do have to say that The Long Run I think is absolutely awful, only the title song and In the City I can stand to hear (and maybe Heartache Tonight), the rest I find to be so far removed from Take It Easy and Desperado it's almost depressing. There are one or two songs before then though where I felt they lost their way a bit - Victim of Love from HC being a prime example, very TLR-esque. The initial Eagles album was OK, but I'm not much of a fan beyond the three singles from it. I've not actually heard all of LROOE, but the title song, How Long and I Dreamed There Was No War in themselves see them surpass the other two, Somebody was quite a good song too. Hotel California is half hard rock, half soft rock I find: HC, Life in the Fast Lane (that's the most Joe Walsh song I've ever heard) and Victim of Love are all very Joe Walsh, electric guitar, loud; whereas The Last Resort (one of the best songs ever written IMO), Pretty Maids All in a Row, New Kid in Town and Wasted Time are more laid-back, contemplative works. OOTN has grown on me, I've never been keen on the title song, but Lyin' Eyes, Take It to the Limit and After the Thrill is Gone keep it in my good books as they are three country rock classics. On the Border is sort of the transition period from Leadon country to Walsh rock, it's a distinct move away from Desperado yet not quite Hotel California; tracks like James Dean and Already Gone show the rock element (primarily Felder), whereas the stunning Ol' 55 (a Tom Waites cover) and Midnight Flyer are still very much country and harmony derived.

I just had to get all that off my chest! I do hope they release another DVD soon, it's been just shy of a decade since they released their last one, Farewell I.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Eagles Reportedly Reuniting with Bernie Leadon for 2013 Tour

SOURCE LINK

eaglesbw1.jpg

The band is still describing his involvement as “in discussion,” but according to guitarist Joe Walsh, the Eagles will be joined by former member Bernie Leadon on their upcoming tour.

This isn’t the first time an Eagle has raised the possibility of a special guest from the past popping up on the (apparently accurately dubbed) History of the Eagles Tour, but Walsh’s recent interview with Billboard marked the first time anyone’s come right out and named names.

“Bernie’s brilliant,” Walsh explained. “I never really got a chance to play with him, but we’ve been in contact. We see him from time to time, and I’m really glad he’s coming because it’s going to take the show up a notch, and I’m really looking forward to playing with him, finally.”

Walsh also described the intriguing possibility of the band presenting its songs, and its lineup, more or less chronologically. “There’ll be part of the show that doesn’t involve me, but I may come out and play some James Gang stuff as part of the show just to show what I was doing when ‘Witchy Woman’ came out,” he suggested. “We don’t have that down yet.”

As Rolling Stone notes, Leadon was with the Eagles for their productive four-year stretch between 1971-75, leaving because, as he put it in 2008, “I just wanted some time to regroup. I suggested we take some time off. They weren’t excited about that idea.”

Whatever happens, we’ll see who’s in the lineup on July 6, when the History of the Eagles Tour is scheduled to kick off in Louisville, Ky.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I really like "Gilded palace of Sin",the essential early country rock effort put forth by Leadon's sixties group,The Flying Burrito Brothers.The Eagles,of course,took the genre to exquisite heights of passionate heartplay.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I just finished watching disc one of the three disc "History of The Eagles" blu ray set. Great stuff, but the thing that struck me was how they've aged. I was shocked at how good Joe Walsh looks, considering he partied so hard back in the day.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Eagle eye...

I just finished watching disc one of the three disc "History of The Eagles" blu ray set. Great stuff, but the thing that struck me was how they've aged. I was shocked at how good Joe Walsh looks, considering he partied so hard back in the day.
I have to pick that up along with that Farewell concert disc...

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got this quote from the "History Of The Eagles" DVD

"The most frightening thing to ever happen to me was Keith Moon decided he liked me."-Joe Walsh :oyea:

pn004963.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online