Still one of my favorites from The Long Run

Disco Strangler

Loved it since I was like 14 :heheh: :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that was a cool tune, the entire album was awesome, very chill type of music.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yup...it's just a perfect album, and from '79. I have alot of feel good albums all from this year!! :grinthumb

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
Just finishing re-reading Marc Eliot's majestic biog of the Eagles, To The Limit, and while doing so was playing their studio CDs on my CD carousel (a 5-CD player/changer). Unfortunately the book ends in 2005, and so misses out on Long Road Out Of Eden...which is a pity. Anyway, here's the CDs in my order of preference:

1. Long Road Out Of Eden.
2. Hotel California.
3. One Of These Nights.
4. Desperado.
5. Eagles.
6. On The Border.
7. The Long Run.

However, in the style of BBC Radio's Desert Island Discs, if I could only choose one from the above list, it would be One Of These Nights.
Which for me is where everything came together.

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
The birthplace of heavy metal (AKA Birmingham) / L
I love the Eagles. Their transition, almost effortlessly, from soft rock / country roots to the likes of Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane is amazing.

Favourite songs in order:
Hotel California (my favourite song of all time)
Desperado
Ol' 55
Already Gone
Take It Easy
I Dreamed There Was No War
The Girl from Yesterday
How Long
New Kid in Town
Love Will Keep Us Alive

They have done some stuff that whilst still good, I'm not as keen on - Those Shoes, Get Over It and Best of My Love really. Some of the stuff on Hell Freezes Over too, probs m least liked album.

I thought that for a band who were well into their 60s, they deserve credit for Long Road Out of Eden and the tour that followed, to still be as good as you were in 1972 35 years later is incredible. It's a shame the Felder issue has hung around for over a decade, there's so much to them if people can get over Henley and Frey's alleged egos.

Their best feature by far though is Joe Walsh - as far as I am concerned that man is equal to or greater than God.

Last edited:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
What Matt, no 'Lyin Eyes'??!! (my own all time favourite Eagles track)

You mention Joe Walsh, well I was a huge Joe Walsh fan before I was even an Eagles fan, I loved The James Gang and have a couple of original vinyls of theirs, so when he joined The Eagles it was a marriage made in heaven, or at least it turned out that way, I was a little surprised when it happened as they had a fairly placid kind of country-rock thing going on, and Joe's career and reputation beforehand was as a pretty heavy rocker/riffer, but he made them an even greater band. There is some footage of Joe and his old band Barnstorm that was shown on The Old Grey Whistle Test on the BBC back in the 70's of Joe Walsh playing 'Turn To Stone' and 'Rocky Mountain Way' in concert, which is amongst the best stuff that show ever broadcast in my view, he also performed 'Funk 49' on the same broadcast, but for some reason that footage seems to have been lost as even Youtube doesn't have it, if anyone kind find it I will love you forever!! I know I have posted these links before, but any fan of his should just take 10-15 minutes out to watch these clips as it's the very definition of classic 70's rock, no frills and effects, just a great guitarist and his great band totally owning their audience....

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Eagles

Happy Birthday Don!

Eagles - Witchy Woman

Going to give this song (and video) another bump. I have some very fond memories of their Greatest Hits 71-75 album dating back to my childhood. I used to go ice fishing with my dad in the winter and this was one of the 8-tracks that we ALWAYS had cranking up on our road trips. When we graduated to cassettes (heh), of course, we had to get their greatest hits on cassette as well and again, always had this album playing on any road trips we went on whether it was hunting or fishing.

Witchy Woman will probably always be my favorite Eagles track, but you can't go wrong with a single track on this album, which by the way, is the best selling "greatest hits" in history. If I'm not mistaken, it's the 5th highest selling album of all time only behing Thriller, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black and Bat Out of Hell.

The_Eagles_-_Their_Greatest_Hits_%281971-1975%29.jpg

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
It's the second highest-selling here in the States too Lynch, which is odd because I could have sworn for awhile it was first? You always see DSOTM popping up on the charts again though so I guess it's not too unbelievable, but I can't help but wonder how many of those sales are from stoner kids trying to be "cool" (not to underestimate PF's success or the greatness of that album though).

My favorites from that album are as follows:

Take It To The Limit

Desperado

I may need to go listen to some Eagles now. I can see why the album is so successful, as they have a good down home America feel to their music. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the second highest-selling here in the States too Lynch, which is odd because I could have sworn for awhile it was first? You always see DSOTM popping up on the charts again though so I guess it's not too unbelievable, but I can't help but wonder how many of those sales are from stoner kids trying to be "cool" (not to underestimate PF's success or the greatness of that album though).

My favorites from that album are as follows:

Take It To The Limit

Desperado

I may need to go listen to some Eagles now. I can see why the album is so successful, as they have a good down home America feel to their music. :grinthumb

Great pair of songs. :grinthumb
Songs like Desperado were what got me into Eagles as a kid.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online