Eagles (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Some have considered the Eagles' mighty transformation from the country rock of "Take It Easy","Tequila Sunrise" and "Lyin' Eyes" to the heavier tones of the "Hotel California" and "The Long Run" sets as a hallmark of the sell out,a theory I strongly disagree with.As all truly great bands do,they were merely open minded regarding the issue of exploring musical waters previously uncharted by the hall of famers.Does anyone agree with the "sell out" criticism and if not,do you prefer either period or enjoy both quite equally?

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I like all the Eagles' stuff, whichever era. I don't know about 'selling out'. I never saw it that way myself. They have often said they were looking for more of a 'rock' sound, and that's why Joe was brought in. It worked a treat.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Indeed,I thouroughly enjoy the jolt of creative force Joe Walsh infused into the already deeply conceived category Eagles catalog.Hey,have any of you ever seen Mr. Walsh on the few episodes of "The Drew Carey Show" he did as a burn out hippie named Ed?He was absolutely hilarious.On one episode he performed "Rocky Mountain Way" alongside legenday rock pioneer Little Richard on piano.Awesome!!

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Coming back to this thread, I have to say that The Long Run has grown on me massively over the last twelve months or so - it's gone from being my least favourite album to fourth on my list behind Hotel California, Desperado and On The Border. I think the two ballads - I Can't Tell You Why and The Sad Café - are perhaps the best two songs on the album, and everything else rocks.

No song on the album has grown on me more than Those Shoes with its harmonised talk box guitars, the simple but brilliant rhythm section interplay and Joe's brilliant solo. Overall I think the album has a very strong 'backbone' of seven excellent tracks. Of the other songs, Teenage Jail is often criticised but I really like its dark humour and the wacky synthesiser and guitar solos and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks is silly but good fun. The only song that I think is a bit substandard is The Disco Strangler but I don't find it unlistenable.

Although a lot is made about the addition of Joe Walsh to the band for Hotel California, some pretty significant changes were made over the course of the previous two albums. On The Border sounds, to my ears at least, perceptibly more of a rock album than the country-rock of the first two, and Don Felder's impact on the two tracks he contributed to (the rocking Already Gone and Good Day In Hell) is very apparent. One Of These Nights brought in a lot of R&B influences, especially on the title track and After The Thrill Is Gone, and Bernie Leadon was marginalised on the tracks he didn't contribute to the writing of. The way I see it their style changed incrementally, rather than them making a sudden change.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Coming back to this thread, I have to say that The Long Run has grown on me massively over the last twelve months or so - it's gone from being my least favourite album to fourth on my list behind Hotel California, Desperado and On The Border. I think the two ballads - I Can't Tell You Why and The Sad Café - are perhaps the best two songs on the album, and everything else rocks.

No song on the album has grown on me more than Those Shoes with its harmonised talk box guitars, the simple but brilliant rhythm section interplay and Joe's brilliant solo. Overall I think the album has a very strong 'backbone' of seven excellent tracks. Of the other songs, Teenage Jail is often criticised but I really like its dark humour and the wacky synthesiser and guitar solos and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks is silly but good fun. The only song that I think is a bit substandard is The Disco Strangler but I don't find it unlistenable.

Although a lot is made about the addition of Joe Walsh to the band for Hotel California, some pretty significant changes were made over the course of the previous two albums. On The Border sounds, to my ears at least, perceptibly more of a rock album than the country-rock of the first two, and Don Felder's impact on the two tracks he contributed to (the rocking Already Gone and Good Day In Hell) is very apparent. One Of These Nights brought in a lot of R&B influences, especially on the title track and After The Thrill Is Gone, and Bernie Leadon was marginalised on the tracks he didn't contribute to the writing of. The way I see it their style changed incrementally, rather than them making a sudden change.

well said @Johnny Come Lately...

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Glenn Frey Bronze Statue Is Taking it Easy, Standing on the Corner in Winslow, Arizona

Next time you're driving by Winslow, Arizona in your flat-bed Ford, slow down to take a look at the new bronze statue of Eagles founding member Glenn Frey. The Frey statue was recently installed in the "Standing on the Corner" Park — so named in reference to lyrics from 1972's "Take it Easy" — next to a pre-existing statue that bares a resemblance to fellow Eagles member, and co-writer to the aforementioned mega-hit, Jackson Browne...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

That is so cool......the Jackson Browne statue is neat, too.

56a13b56a5994.image.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online