Eagles (Official Thread)

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I've been watching a few rather good Eagles live performances recently from the Hotel California tour. I think I'll share a few of these here:

New Kid In Town - Washington D.C. 1977

One Of These Nights - Washington D.C. 1977

Witchy Woman - Houston 1977 (plus a four-minute jam prior to the song)

James Dean - Houston 1977

One for the Joe Walsh fans:
Rocky Mountain Way - Washington D.C. 1977

And finally, with Don Henley at the front playing acoustic guitar:
The Best Of My Love - Washington D.C. 1977

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Just an observation - I'm amazed there are only 12 pages to this thread. Many of you may disagree with me, but, love 'em or hate 'em, the Eagles absolutely typify 'Classic Rock'. They are a band that, over a 6-7 year period in the '70s, consistently poured out very high quality music. A bunch of guys always fighting about what should be put out. I know some of you would say they weren't/aren't rock, but it is a very wide genre. I love 'em.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
^^^ I agree Johnny. I don't care how they get along, how many records they sell, who likes em and who doesnt, how popular they are or how many people pile on 'em with hate. I love 'em as well. A very talented and diverse band who put out great sounding records.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Just an observation - I'm amazed there are only 12 pages to this thread. Many of you may disagree with me, but, love 'em or hate 'em, the Eagles absolutely typify 'Classic Rock'. They are a band that, over a 6-7 year period in the '70s, consistently poured out very high quality music. A bunch of guys always fighting about what should be put out. I know some of you would say they weren't/aren't rock, but it is a very wide genre. I love 'em.

^^^ I agree Johnny. I don't care how they get along, how many records they sell, who likes em and who doesnt, how popular they are or how many people pile on 'em with hate. I love 'em as well. A very talented and diverse band who put out great sounding records.

Excellent posts, guys. Couldn't agree more.

@stepcousin: The highlighted part is how I feel about every band/artist I like!

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I kind of wish I'd seen them live when they toured here a couple of years back. The tickets were just too damn expensive! :uh:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
The Eagles albums rated by 'Ultimate Classic Rock'. Not too sure about the order myself, but here they are -

Eagles Worst to Best

The Eagles have been rightly praised for their canny combining of Glenn Frey’s city-slicker R&B with Don Henley’s country-fried rockabilly. Along the way, every one of their albums reached platinum status, including the 16-times smash ‘Hotel California’ and its seven-times platinum follow-ups ‘The Long Run’ and ‘Long Road Out of Eden.’ But it took some doing for this legend to be constructed, giving fans plenty to chew over as the band evolved — and making our list that much more difficult to construct. Which sound do you favor? Peaceful and easy? Or life in the fast lane? Here’s our take: Eagles Albums, Ranked Worst to Best:

7'The Eagles' (1972)

At its best -- including the trio of hits 'Take It Easy,' 'Witchy Woman' and "Peaceful Easy Feeling' -- this is a debut that solidifies the then-emerging California country-rock sound. Dig deeper, though, and the Eagles were still rounding into shape. Tracks like 'Chug All Night' aren't on par with their later work, and there's a consistency of tone, an almost blissed-out hush, that can border on blandness. As future triumphs would make clear, there was, at this point, too much country and not enough rock.

6'Long Road Out of Eden' (2007)

Even though it spawned five adult-contemporary hits and two Top 20 country songs, this long-awaited, four-man and Don Felder-less comeback album often shifts between bleak acceptance and schoolmarm scolding. And at 20 songs, it's simply too long. (Even Joe Walsh's 'Last Good Time in Town,' an admittedly fun update of 'Life in the Fast Lane,' somehow stretches out past seven minutes.) That said, its far-flung highlights -- like that momentous title track -- stand side by side with the Eagles' most celebrated work.

5'The Long Run' (1979)

'The Long Run' is just as uneven as their debut album, though its high points are far higher. Glenn Frey's galloping 'Heartache Tonight,' in fact, may be the Eagles' best single. Meanwhile, the album's sadly prophetic title track, Timothy B. Schmit's 'I Can't Tell You Why,' 'Those Shoes' and 'In the City' remain radio staples. But cracks in the band's often tempestuous partnership had become impossible to ignore. ('Heartache' was Frey's only lead vocal; 'In the City' was a soundtrack remake from Joe Walsh.) Worse still, dated filler like 'Disco Strangler' confirmed they were in serious need of a break.

4'On the Border' (1974)

As the Eagles struggled to free themselves of a country-rock trap of their own devising, they ditched their producer and brought in soon-to-be-member Don Felder for a turn on one song. The results are predictably transitional, but they point to everything that would soon make the Eagles superstars: 'Already Gone' rumbled with a jaundiced grit, while 'Best of My Love' -- the first of the group's five No. 1 singles -- was a masterpiece of world-weary ardor.

3'One of These Nights' (1975)

For any other band, this would be a career-defining moment. There was another chart-topping song in the title track, one of the LP's three Top 5 singles; a Grammy win for 'Lyin' Eyes'; and four million in U.S. sales alone. But the Eagles' shift away from their rootsy beginnings -- confirmed here, but still incomplete -- led to the departure of founding member Bernie Leadon. Randy Meisner, who voiced 'Take It to the Limit,' would soon depart, too. All of that too often relegates 'One of These Nights' to a sort of preamble status. But that's only because we now know what came next in 'Hotel California.' It's a shame, because these remain some of the Eagles' best-realized songs.

2'Desperado' (1973)

A one-topic expansion of everything they tried to do on their eponymous debut, the Old West-themed 'Desperado' is an often-overlooked project that just gets better with age. Of course, such an ambitious concept didn't exactly equal chart success. In fact, this album had no hits, despite later radio play for its title track (which was never released as a single) and 'Tequila Sunrise' (which limped to No. 64). Then there's the back cover, which shows producer Glyn Johns towering over our tied-up outlaws. That image would prove to be all too metaphorical. As satisfying as 'Desperado' no doubt was, the band quickly came to feel trapped in its cowboy clothes.

1'Hotel California' (1976)

The familiar title track heralds an epic meditation on gluttony and greed, one that's eventually underscored on devastatingly frank deep cuts like 'Wasted Time' and 'The Last Resort.' The result is a concept album every bit as complete as 'Desperado,' but with a distinctly modern edge. Credit in part goes to the addition of Joe Walsh -- who acted like a final ingredient in what was becoming a combustible new era for the Eagles. He tangled brilliantly with Don Felder, while adding an every-man sensibility to Don Henley's meditations on post-modern decline amid the coke-addled hellscape that Los Angeles had become for these guys. In the end, Walsh's 'Life in the Fast Lane' would serve as the kind of winking summation they'd never been capable of before.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
A pretty good list for the most part, I definitely agree with the top two - both are cohesive albums with plenty of great tracks. I do consider Hotel California to be their best work (and am glad to see The Last Resort, once of the finest album closers I've heard, get a mention), but Desperado is also a classic album and as good as the famous Greatest Hits Volume 1 compilation I don't think it quite does this album justice. Tequila Sunrise and Desperado are great tracks on their own but are really enhanced by being listened to as part of the album, especially once Desperado is attached to the seminal Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) at the end of the album which neatly ties up the ideas from both songs and the record as a whole.

I would probably place On The Border over One Of These Nights myself if forced to pick one of those two, for me it has a lot of the things that made the Eagles great - it has a very wide range of material, with songs for different moods and consistently high quality songs (there's no weak tracks on there IMO), ranging from rockers like Already Gone and James Dean to more mellow ballads such as The Best Of My Love and their excellent cover of Tom Waits' Ol' 55 in addition to the bluegrass Midnight Flyer and the rhythm and blues influenced title track. One Of These Nights has plenty of great material - the three main singles being the most obvious ones, but After The Thrill Is Gone is just as good and I really like Too Many Hands and also Journey of the Sorcerer, however I don't think I Wish You Peace and Visions, while not really being bad, are not quite up to the band's standard.

The Long Run is an album that has grown on me, I do like all of the hits mentioned in the article (although I cannot agree about Heartache Tonight being their best single - I like it a lot as a fun rock 'n' roll song but I think they have other more complete songs) although there is no mention of The Sad Café which is a great track and one of my absolute favourites. I do agree about the filler on the album, although I actually quite like the unpopular Teenage Jail (and especially its over the top guitar solo) but I think you've got to be in on the joke there.

I'm not sure I agree about there being too much country and too little rock on the debut album. I find that most of the songs on the first three albums lie somewhere on a sliding scale between rock and country (with a couple of exceptions, such as the overt rocker Out Of Control on Desperado) but the only songs on the debut that I would say are definitely more country than rock are Most Of Us Are Sad, Train Leaves Here This Morning and Peaceful Easy Feeling. Witchy Woman, Chug All Night and Tryin' are very much rock rather than country, as to a lesser extent is Take The Devil. Earlybird is more bluegrass than country, and has rock slide guitar playing, while Take It Easy and Nightingale lie somewhere in the middle between the two extremes.

I've never heard Long Road Out Of Eden in full, although I do like the couple of songs I've heard - Waiting In The Weeds and How Long - quite a bit.

A couple of minor factual corrections need to be made here I think:
- Don Felder appears on two songs on On The Border - he was originally recruited to play the slide guitar on the song Good Day In Hell, but the band were so impressed by his performance that they invited him to become a full time member - after this he played one of the lead guitar parts on Already Gone.
- Heartache Tonight is not Glenn Frey's only lead vocal on The Long Run, he also sings lead on the first and third verses of Teenage Jail (although admittedly Don Henley does sing on the second and third verses as well).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You Never Cry Like A Lover

I enjoy quite laid back songs like this one. Piano work is awesome particularly.

Midnight Flyer

Absolutely love the banjo drive on this tune.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
At first,the Eagles were the ultimate culmination of the country rock genre originally purported by the Byrds,Flying Burrito Brothers and former Monkee Mike Nesmith,whose "Wichita Train Whistle Sings" that I have yet to hear was a sizeable influence in this area.When the Eagles employed Joe Walsh and went more in the straight rock direction,some fans of their original style weren't particularly impressed a hell of a lot,and maybe this wasn't their best forte,which I do agree with,but they did pull off the new style rather well,I thought,Particularly,of course,with the title track from "California" which is widely considered one of the ten greatest rock tracks ever laid down.I've also always been a fan of the lovely ballad "Can't Tell You Why" from "Long Run",which I recall my older brother having on 8-track.8-Tracks.That whole thing seems like a hundred years ago now........

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
You Never Cry Like A Lover

I enjoy quite laid back songs like this one. Piano work is awesome particularly.

Midnight Flyer

Absolutely love the banjo drive on this tune.

A couple of very good picks there from On The Border, possibly the most overlooked of the Eagles' 1970s albums - which is a shame as there's not a single dud there with some excellent deep cuts (I am very fond of Bernie Leadon's My Man, which I believe is a Gram Parsons tribute). Then again I suppose this means that it hasn't really suffered from overexposure like some of their other albums, particularly with the main hits - Already Gone and The Best Of My Love - bookending the album.

I too love the banjo on Midnight Flyer, although I have to say my favourite part is Glenn Frey's slide solo at the end of the song - although he's definitely the least technically gifted of the four main guitarists they had, his solos usually sound good to me, which I think is ultimately the most important thing (I Can't Tell You Why is probably the outstanding example of this, where Frey found the perfect solo for that song by keeping things simple and melodic - while Walsh and Felder are superior players I'm not sure they'd have hit the sweet spot there).

I was listening to the debut album again earlier, I have to say I think that it's somewhat underrated - the 'big three' songs do stand out but everything else is certainly very enjoyable and generally very good, with the only weak-ish song IMO being Chug All Night. Having said that I can enjoy the odd fun rock and roll song which doesn't mean much, and I really like the bit starting from the 'yeah yeah yeah' after the final chorus so I still enjoy it whenever I hear it. Take The Devil and Earlybird are especially underrated I think, the former has vocal, lyrical musical power - it has the feel of being alone in the wilderness, with Meisner's final 'Take the devil from your mind' being a haunting line - while the latter combines rock and bluegrass with Frey's slide guitar and Leadon's banjos while also featuring some stunning harmonies. I can understand why the chirping at the beginning irritates some listeners, but I don't mind it and actually find it quite amusing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online