Eagles (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I have their 2CD Best Of which came sometime in the 00s. That's good enough for me. I enjoyed the heck out of it on long drives... particularly that surreal drive from LA to Vegas through the Mojave.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
As my username suggests, I count the Eagles among my favourite bands - few bands can rival their number of great hit songs, but these are backed up by numerous excellent album tracks.

I was actually familiar with Don Henley's solo career long before I became acquainted with the Eagles as a band - my parents had a cassette tape of The End Of The Innocence (an excellent album in its own right) and later the Actual Miles greatest hits CD. Eventually, I heard my first Eagles song, as for many others this was 'Hotel California' - I was very impressed and soon went on to listen to and enjoy the whole album. I subsequently discovered my parents' copy of One Of These Nights which I also loved, and soon went on to listen to all of their 1970s albums.

I love both the country and rock modes of the band. I think Bernie Leadon was a hugely talented country musician and his versatility was one of the band's greatest assets in the early days, particularly on Desperado, but Joe Walsh (and Don Felder, too) enabled them to rock harder - I couldn't imagine the original line up playing songs such as Life In The Fast Lane or Victim Of Love (listening to this as I type!) with such great results.

Having said that, I do think the band missed Randy Meisner on The Long Run - Timothy B. Schmit is an excellent singer in his own right and does a lovely delicate vocal on I Can't Tell Why, but he can't replace Meisner's personality on the harmonies (as evident on so many of their earlier tracks, particularly Take It Easy, The Best Of My Love and Lyin' Eyes).

My ranking of their albums:
1) Hotel California
2) Desperado
3=) On The Border
3=) One Of These Nights (sorry - I like these two about equally and can't split them)
5) Eagles
6) The Long Run

I think I might do a track-by-track analysis of these six albums (with my thoughts on all the songs) soon.

I'm not really familiar with Long Road Out Of Eden, but I have heard 'Waiting For The Weeds' which I think is a seminal track - great writing, great harmonies, and just the right tone for a band their age.

Lastly I thought I'd share an excellent live version of Take It Easy from 1977, with a Joe Walsh guitar solo replacing the banjo from the original album recording:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Good post JCL, I will always prefer early Eagles myself...but I do like Hotel California more now than I did when it came out.

I agree with "The Long Run" being their weakest studio effort.

I love End Of The Innocence, Don Henley proved he could stand on his own and succeed when the Eagles were 'retired'. But he Hated making videos and in the end he regretted signing with Geffen records again and eventually sued Geffen for the 2nd time. Always amazed me he was that stupid, because he strikes me as an astute businessman so going back to the same man who screwed the Eagles over I could never reconcile.:bonk:

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I said I'd do a thorough look at all six of the 1970s Eagles album - and here it is (warning: it's a 'Long Run', hope you don't think it's 'Wasted Time')

Eagles - A good debut album with plenty of highlights, not quite as strong as the albums that followed IMO but there's plenty to enjoy here nonetheless.
Take It Easy - My favourite song from the country-rock era, what a great way to open the first album - I love the opening chords, the harmonies, the guitars and the banjo.
Witchy Woman - Another great track, I love the guitars which give it a somewhat sinister rock sound, accompanied by the lyrics which showed Henley's skill for description even at this early stage.
Chug All Night - The weakest track on the debut album IMO, still like it though due to the guitar sound and riffs.
Most Of Us Are Sad - A tasteful melancholy song, it's largely acoustic with sad yet reassuring lyrics. I could imagine the band members singing this around a campfire.
Nightingale - Underrated Jackson Browne-penned track, I like the guitars quite a bit here and it's got that classic California sound. Hearing Don Henley sound so cheerful took some getting used to though!
Train Leaves Here This Morning - Bernie Leadon does a fine job with this, the harmonies are great and the guitar is very effective - I do like the Dillard and Clark original as well though. It's a weird juxtaposition as the lyrics are quite heart wrenching yet it's so relaxing to listen to.
Take The Devil - Really, really like this one, it's musically and lyrically very powerful. It genuinely sounds like being alone in the desert and I love the sentiments of this song.
Earlybird - I can understand why the chirping might irritate some listeners, but this one makes me feel good every time I hear it, the combination of the banjo and guitar is great, and Leadon and Meisner harmonise so well.
Peaceful Easy Feeling - A song whose title accurately describes its feel, a fine slice of relaxing country rock with an excellent b bender solo by Leadon.
Tryin' - I like this a lot, a good energetic album closer with a good guitar sound and some positive lyrics.

Desperado
Doolin-Dalton - One of the band's greatest album tracks, I love the harmonica and the trade-off vocals between Henley and Frey in particular. I think it's a very evocative track and sets a great mood for the rest of the album.
Twenty-One - Decent and uplifting bluegrass number with some good banjo playing by Leadon.
Out Of Control - A hard rocker which I find very enjoyable and is great at describing the outlaws going wild on a night out. I love the moment when the power chords come in at the start of the song.
Tequila Sunrise - Excellent slice of country rock, very pleasant to listen to and with lyrics that fit the mood perfectly. On top of this, it's beautifully sequenced as placing it immediately after Out Of Control makes it seem like the narrator is waking up with a hangover.
Desperado - A classic ballad, I doubt I'm alone in resonating with the lyrics and the instrumentation is also beautiful.
Certain Kind Of Fool - Excellent track, I like the guitar solo and especially like the clever lyrics which emphasis the 'rock star as outlaw' analogy.
Doolin-Dalton (Instrumental) - Less than a minute in length so not much to say here, I do like the banjo though.
Outlaw Man - The most overlooked and underrated Eagles single which has a great rocking outro (the bassline in particular is one of their best).
Saturday Night - Lovely ballad with some beautiful harmonies and lyrics filled with pain and regret. The mandolin is also great and enhances this song's atmosphere further.
Bitter Creek - Underrated acoustic Bernie Leadon song, it has a lonely desert sound and I like the ride out a lot.
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) - A fantastic album closer which ties together both the earlier songs extremely effectively with some moving lyrics (four men ride out and only three ride back) and features some more brilliant harmonies. The subdued bridge between the Doolin-Dalton and Desperado reprises is also brilliant.

On The Border - A fine selection of Eagles songs showcasing a variety of musical styles and the talents of all the members. I enjoy all ten tracks here and find it to be consistently very good.
Already Gone - Great track to open the album, I think it combines the harmonic and rock aspects of the band extremely well
You Never Cry Like A Lover - I really like this one, it's a ballad but with a twist as the guitar builds during the middle of the song.
Midnight Flyer - Enjoyable bluegrass number with harmonies that make me smile, the rock section with the slide guitar is great as well.
My Man - Love this, I think it's Bernie Leadon's finest Eagles track, moving lyrics (about Gram Parsons I believe) and some lovely pedal steel.
On The Border - Quite a significant song, the first political Don Henley song - covers quite a bizarre range of influences but it's a very good track
James Dean - I love the guitars on this one. I also really like the 'too fast to live, too young to die' part of the song, as it combines with the lyrics
Ol' 55 - One of my favourite covers, it's quite different from Tom Waits' original but I love the steel guitar and the vocals here. I think they manage to get the balance right - it's different enough to be worth hearing, but sufficiently faithful to the original to not ruin the song.
Is It True? - Underrated Randy Meisner tune, I like Frey's slide solo as well.
Good Day In Hell - Great track, no wonder Don Felder ended up joining the band permanently after such a fantastic performance on slide guitar.
The Best Of My Love - Beautiful country rock song, I love the bridge lyrics which combine with the lyrics to create this sense of a relationship slipping away. I find this very enjoyable to play when I'm in a relaxed mood.

One Of These Nights - A strong album overall whose highs are probably higher than those on On The Border, but there are a couple of weaker songs too.
One Of These Nights - Great track, there's a lot to love about this one - the opening bass riff, the verse lyrics, Meisner's high harmonies but especially the guitar solo, which absolutely hits the spot as far as I'm concerned.
Too Many Hands - Definitely underrated, I really like the acoustic guitar riff and the solos a lot too. The lyrics (about the Earth) are well written too.
Hollywood Waltz - Very good country rock waltz which foreshadows the subsequent album with its lyrics about California - the pedal steel and mandolin are great and the outro is a fine thing too.
Journey Of The Sorcerer - I know this splits people, but I really love this epic banjo-led instrumental, which creates a great atmosphere and comes to a very satisfying conclusion (disclaimer: I am a Hitchhiker's Guide fan).
Lyin Eyes - Classic Eagles country rock, with excellent storytelling and the band's harmonies are at their finest.
Take It To The Limit - Meisner's finest hour as a vocalist in my opinion. Once it gets to the crescendo this just carries me away, I just love the outro.
Visions - Pretty good rocker with some nice guitar licks, if not quite up to the level set by the previous six tracks.
After The Thrill Is Gone - A very well done Henley/Frey duet, with a nice country rock atmosphere and a good solo by Felder.
I Wish You Peace - An okay song, and a nice way for Leadon to leave the band, but well below normal Eagles standard IMO.

Hotel California - my favourite Eagles album overall, I think all of the eight main tracks here are great and it flows well too.
Hotel California - Difficult to say anything that's not already been said about this masterpiece, but I love just about every one of its 6 and a half minutes.
New Kid In Town - Another great track, the lyrics are very well written as they work as both a love song and a description of the transience of the music industry. I really like the guitars and the keyboards here too.
Life In The Fast Lane - One of the best Eagles rockers, Joe Walsh's famous riff is amongst my favourite riffs by anyone and I really like the combination of vocals and lyrics (I especially love the way Henley sings 'he had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude').
Wasted Time - Great ballad, I love the dynamics and I think Don Henley's vocal performance is his finest.
Wasted Time (Reprise) - The only non-essential track on the album IMO as a song, but I still like it and it works as a transition (or side opener on the vinyl).
Victim Of Love - Great track, I really love the opening sequence with the power chords and Walsh's slide solo.
Pretty Maids All In A Row - Excellent Joe Walsh song with some personal lyrics which fits the mood of the album very well. The soothing harmonies at the end are my favourite part.
Try And Love Again - Have loved this since I first heard it, I love the guitar sound here as Meisner says farewell to the band in fine style.
The Last Resort - A truly great track, one of my favourites by any band and second only to the title track on this album as far as I'm concerned. The music here would be beautiful on its own, but accompanied by Henley's fantastic lyrics and the band singing together at the end, I find this to be really something.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I apologise for the double post - I tried to fit it all in one post but had too much I wanted to say to cut it down so I've had to list the Long Run tracks separately:

The Long Run - I rank this last although apart from a couple of weaker tracks I still think this is good for the most part.
The Long Run - My second favourite from this album, I like the rhythm and blues influences and the combination of instruments.
I Can't Tell You Why - A good track and a fine Eagles debut for Timothy Schmit, the highlight for me is unquestionably Frey's melodic guitar solo, I just love the tone of it.
In The City - Very good Joe Walsh rocker, the slide guitar is strong here.
The Disco Strangler - Quite possibly the worst Eagles song, very dissonant to my ears although creatively speaking that's probably right for this song. I don't mind too much though, as I share the band's loathing of disco music.
King Of Hollywood - I like this rather a lot, the story is very sleazy but I think these, accompanied by the guitar solos and the unusual vocals by Henley and Frey give it an interesting atmosphere which fits this perfectly.
Heartache Tonight - Good rock and roll song, the lyrics lack the depth of most latter-era Henley songs but I like the slide guitar. However, I consider this to be the weakest Eagles single.
Those Shoes - I found this to be something of an acquired taste but it has grown on me - like King Of Hollywood it's sleazy and I took a couple of listens to get used to the double talkbox sound, but I like that aspect of it now.
Teenage Jail - I seem to be virtually alone in actually enjoying this, I guess it just appeals to my sense of humour. I love Felder's guitar solo, it's totally over the top but fits the song perfectly.
The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - Definite filler, although I do find it somewhat amusing.
The Sad Café - IMO on this album the best is saved until last, I love this song and its reflective lyrics and it is also greatly enhanced by tasteful solos on guitar and alto saxophone by Felder and David Sanborn, respectively. I couldn't imagine a better way for the band to bow out (I'm not sure whether they knew it at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if they did though).

I hope you like this - feel free to disagree my views on the songs/albums, of course. I was able to listen to the whole debut album and a good chunk of Desperado while writing this up!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Great summaries all round JCL.:clap:

It's easy to see you are a massive Eagles fan.

Matt

Reaction score
The birthplace of heavy metal (AKA Birmingham) / L
Another Eagles lover, welcome JCL! I'm quite tired atm so only got up to Desperado on your posts but I'll give the rest a read later and do some commenting.

Anyway, if anyone has the time I strongly recommend giving these lesser-known Eagles works a listen. I rate most of them more than I do with some of their more famous songs like One of These Nights and The Long Run:

1) Saturday Night - possibly my favourite Eagles song ever. The mandolin is beautiful, Henley's lonesome voice is perfect and it's just the kind of song that fits with supping a beer whilst watching the sun go down over a plain in the middle of nowhere. You get the idea. Resurrected for their current tour for the first time since their initial split, with just Henley and Frey together on acoustic guitars.

2) After the Thrill Is Gone - I found the OOTN album quite flat but this is an absolute gem of a song. It's about the demise of feelings or a relationship and the kind of mentality when you just get to thinking 'Ah, f*** it'. The lyrics are easily in the top 5 the Eagles ever did. Over ever performed live once - at their last show before they split in July 1980!

3) Ol' 55 - the steel pedal and piano combination is wonderful, and the harmonies send chills down your spine. I'd give my right arm to see the guys perform it these days.

4) Do Something - never been a huge Timothy B. Schmit (bassist, Randy Meisner's replacement) fan but this is well worthy of a mention. Goes right back to the era of mainly acoustic songs with some wonderful lyrics. Very subtly gives you the determination to carry on through even the worst of times.

5) The Last Resort - epic, absolutely epic. Henley's lyrics almost leave me speechless here, it's the kind of thing you write once in a lifetime if you're lucky. It's in Don's own words 'How the West was lost' and basically deconstructs the whole American Dream / patriotic pride set-up. Best 6 min plus song I've ever heard.

Sick Boy

manic
Reaction score
The Eagles are playing a show about 3 hours away from where I live in two days and I have tickets and everything but I probably won't be able to make it, this is the worst. :wa

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online