CSN ruined by overrated Young?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree with Tattoo'd, Neil Young's solo career is magnificent, CSN while good are not in the same league achievement wise anyway.

And as already mentioned when you get 4 songwriters in one band,,,there is no way they can co-exist unless they released double albums instead of single ones, to accommodate all the egos and songs.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I love Neil Young A LOT. One of the biggest fans you'll find. Own all the albums, seen him solo plenty of times, and with Crazy Horse once.

I've seen CSN in concert 3 or 4 times

I've seen CSN&Y in concert once (Before that ''Freedom of Speech'' tour thankfully)

Having said all that...

I appreciated and prefer and CSN without Young.

Yeah, CSN&Y are very cool and all...but the fact is CSN don't need Neil Young.

CSN are great - amazing in concert and on record.

And I understand ''Déjà Vu'' is a great classic album, and so was ''4 Way Street'', but nowadays some fans are so star struck with Neil Young, they think CSN are less of a band with out Neil Young.

When I saw CSN&Y in 2002 (?) a lot of fans (mostly on the younger side) were raving about Neil Young...walking out as you heard was ''Neil this - Neil that'' like Crosby, Stills & Nash weren't even there or they were Neil's back up band. (That got me a little annoyed.)

You don't get the Neil Young hoopla at a CSN shows. Stephen Stills is a great guitar player and a one of the best acoustic guitar players in rock music. Better than Neil - acoustically. And the CSN harmonies are the best in the business.

Sure CSN&Y are cool - I hope they record and tour together again.

But given the choice, I'd rather see CSN without Young. And that might sound strange coming from a big Neil Young fan. But I'm also a big CSN fan...

and a big fan of CSN&Y - so go try and figure me out.

:lmao:

Final thought - I think CSN&Y were equals in the early 70's among the fans. Nowadays, with some fans, I don't think so.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I would say Neil Young is definitely Overrated! :tongue: But in a Good way because I like his music, though I also like CSN! :tongue: What strikes me about Neil Young though is the following - Neil Young has a large following which extends to the music of today where people have been influenced by Neil Young - so how can Neil Young not be overrated with all the albums and followings taking a liking to his style of Folk-Rock? :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Groovy Man very well stated from someone who has actual experience seeing them live, I can only go by the recordings I have.

Last edited:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Groovy Man very well stated from someone who has actual experience seeing them live,

Well, that's good because I thought I might be rambling a bit!

:lmao:

I was hoping my point came across, with out putting Neil Young down. Because, I love Neil musically.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I got what you were saying the first time through, and I like reading in depth posts offering a personal insight.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I thought it was extremely clever that Neil Young would vary all the songs from the Harvest album with his friends. For Instance "Are You Ready For The Country" was Neil Young with David Crosby & Graham Nash on backing Vocals and "Alabama" with David Crosby & Stephen Stills on backing & "Words (Between The Lines Of Age)" and having Stephen Stills & Graham Nash backing for it! But it's interesting that he did "Out On The Weekend" & "Harvest" with The Stray Gators, "A Man Needs A Maid" & "There's A World" with the London Symphony Orchestra and "Heart of Gold" & "Old Man" with James Taylor & Linda Ronstadt backing! Most Interesting album! :D

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Stephen Stills is a great guitar player and a one of the best acoustic guitar players in rock music. Better than Neil - acoustically.
Absolutely right. The songs "Johnny's Garden" and "Go Back Home" are great examples of his acoustic and electric proficiency.

"Johnny's Garden" -

"Go Back Home" - http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Go+Back+Home/14057758

And then there's this:

I think Stephen Stills and Dave Mason are both very under rated and under appreciated guitarists. But Hendrix didn't think so, as he was known to jam (if not record) with them on occasion.

No doubt Neil had the most successful solo career in the 70's, but Stills' catalogue was definitely in the second spot. And what a great voice! :cheers:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Not sure I can contribute anything towards this cause I'm unsure which songs were done with Neil Young present and absent! :wtf: I know "Marrakesh Express" which is CSN I've just learned, I also know "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" which has to be one of the most unusual songs I've ever heard! :D And "Teach Your Children" which from what I can gather is CSNY - which I think is alright - I'm guessing though that's the only song they did well as a Foursome?

I have nothing against Neil Young even though I only have the Harvest album which interesting enough places CSN in certain songs - but doesn't put all four together, so is that a hint that even as early as 1972 they knew a foursome wasn't working as well as it should?

you should pick up another Neil Young album than Harvest :D

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
This one has nearly every song you would ever want by Neil from the 70's...

392ce676-f1dd-483a-bc22-060b08d1ba42-0.JPG

"Down to the Wire" – 2:25
"Burned" – 2:14
"Mr. Soul" – 2:41
"Broken Arrow" – 6:13
"Expecting to Fly" – 3:44
"Sugar Mountain" – 5:43
"I Am a Child" – 2:17
"The Loner" – 3:50
"The Old Laughing Lady" – 5:59
"Cinnamon Girl" – 2:59
"Down by the River" – 9:16