CSN ruined by overrated Young?

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Well if you believe "Burned, Broken Arrow, Soldier, A Man Needs A Maid, Star Of Bethlehem, Tonight's The Night, Tired Eyes, For The Turnstiles, Deep Forbidden Lake, Love Is A Rose and Campaigner" are all really good songs I'd be happy to burn them on a cd for you. :D

half of them are, but nahh, i've already got them on cd myself. and besides, that'd be the equivalent of illegal downloading! :rolleyes:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Craig in Indy, I love your post. And agree with 90% of it. I really do. You know your stuff.

But I must say I really enjoy their song ''Dark Star''. I remember when they used to play this song on the radio back in the late 70's.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I can understand your affection for "Dark Star" Groovy Man. Many people like that song a lot. It just doesn't do it for me though. I don't know how else to put it other than to say to my ear it simply isn't as "tuneful" a melody as songs like "Helplessly Hoping," "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" or even "Carry On" had. I sincerely hope my comments don't spoil the song for you. That's absolutely not my intent.

One other thing I meant to mention but forgot - at least as far as CSN is concerned, I think they stopped being quite as adventurous in their harmony vocal arrangements as they were in the beginning. I don't know if, even as early as the late '70s, they felt they didn't have the vocal chops they had in the late '60s-early '70s or what, but it's all been very straightforward 3-parts since then. Compare the vocals from "Helplessly Hoping" to the song Stills liked to claim was the answer to that song, "See the Changes" from 1977's CSN. The latter is a fine song, nothing earth shattering in terms of structure or melody, but certainly the equal of "HH." But the harmonies, while beautiful, are predictable and maybe even just a little boring. Whereas on "HH," if you can bring even a little bit of a fresh ear to the listening, you'll find the harmony lines are anything but predictable. They're kind of all over the map, while still being exquisitely beautiful.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I can understand your affection for "Dark Star" Groovy Man. Many people like that song a lot. It just doesn't do it for me though. I don't know how else to put it other than to say to my ear it simply isn't as "tuneful" a melody as songs like "Helplessly Hoping," "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" or even "Carry On" had. I sincerely hope my comments don't spoil the song for you. That's absolutely not my intent.

No, not at all. I enjoy reading other people's views and opinions on things, even though I might disagree. It's a music forum, not everyone will agree on everything. It's just good conversation. And like I said before, you seem to know your stuff.

:cheers:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Neil has played with lots of interesting people.

The biggest deal with his time with CSN was how his songs took on a more personal rather than group flavor. And he maintained more of a West Coast sound.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I'm among those who think his contributions to Deja Vu and Four-Way Street are terrific songs, even "Ohio" (though I admit it isn't his best).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My sister owned 4 Way Street and I never really liked that record at all. But I do enjoy Deja Vu mostly due to a biology teacher in high school who used to play music in his class.:D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Yeah Yeah I get the love for the first CSN album and the fact that they only did three albums(one live) before a hiatus. I would say they both need each other and then their collective lifestyles did them in. I lke 77's CSN album but its not as good as the first three.

They all have good solo albums
Nash's-Songs for Beginners
first three Stills albums
Crosby-If I Could Only Remember My Name
Neil Young-half his long catalog of albums

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
What is this about, Mr Young did a top job of turning a classic band into a more classic band, individual they are good together the best along with other top supergroups. They all feed of each other..4 Way Street..say no more......

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I like both CSN and Neil Young equally but I kind of think that Neil never really brought anything special to the original three. Remember, CSN was a vocal harmony group before Neil, so if you think about it that way, Neil can't have contributed much. He isn't exactly known for his voice!

I tend to like Neil's solo stuff better than anything he did with CSN, especially his early records.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online