CSN ruined by overrated Young?

Big Generator

Reaction score
Re: CSN ruined by overrated Canadian?

Martha Washington said:
well, he's no Steve Perry!
LOL!

That comment managed to be insincere and entirely correct all at the same time.

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: CSN ruined by overrated Canadian?

Big Generator:

There's definitely a sense that CSN didn't fully believe in themselves (whereas Young did) and I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise given that Crosby and Stills were such raging addicts....

So why do you say that Neil Young ruined them? They ruined themselves with drugs and the seeds of their self-destruction were already there right from the first album.

Of course you're presupposing that CSN were any good in the first place. I think they've never been anymore than flower child balladeers.

"Ohio" isn't bad....

It's not just bad; it's awful.

Algernon:

For me, Crosby Stills and Nash sound completely dated...stuck in the sixties. Young's solo work holds up better.

Worse yet they were stuck in one small sub-sector of the sixties.

:wtf:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
CSN would have imploded anyway without the help of Neil Young. supergroups hardly ever last especially with three singer/songwriters who would be lobbying to get their work onto the album over everyone else's. it just would have never worked out past 1975 or 1976.

this is a great thread :grinthumb:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I'd like to share a long-standing resentment toward that whiney guy with boney girl arms...Neil Young. Surely the decision to ask him to join Crosby, Stills and Nash ranks as the worst ever made in the history of rock.

The first album is a timeless classic...the chemistry was perfect...it was all going beyond everyone's wildest dreams...then it all went wrong. Young's ego and his flakey behaviour...and his failure to contribute more than one good song..threw the whole band out of kilter and they never quite recovered until they went back into the studio without Young in 1977.

But even then...the magic was never quite recaptured...Young had contaminated the band too much by this point. Just imagine how incredible CSN would have been in the early 1970s had Young stuck to recording his dreary solo albums.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
I know this an old post, but... Not me.

It's laughable to blame Neil Young for CSN not being able to write and record as much great music on their own as Young did in the 70's. Simply put, if CSN were that great they would have written more great music on their own than they did. CSN always had the better vocals, but Young excelled at everything else.

By that logic, CSN must have contaminted all three of Young's three worst selling albums of the 70's - On The Beach, Zuma and Tonight's The Night. :heheh:
Ironically, Neil Young was just honored with a lifetime achievement award last night and David Crosby had nothing but good things to say about Neil. :cheers:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Not sure I can contribute anything towards this cause I'm unsure which songs were done with Neil Young present and absent! :wtf: I know "Marrakesh Express" which is CSN I've just learned, I also know "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" which has to be one of the most unusual songs I've ever heard! :D And "Teach Your Children" which from what I can gather is CSNY - which I think is alright - I'm guessing though that's the only song they did well as a Foursome?

I have nothing against Neil Young even though I only have the Harvest album which interesting enough places CSN in certain songs - but doesn't put all four together, so is that a hint that even as early as 1972 they knew a foursome wasn't working as well as it should?

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
and i would hardly call Neil Young overrated. he's had one hell of a career and a loyal fan base for his solo career. Crosby, Stills, and Nash all have pretty decent solo careers, but none of them can even hold a candle to the career Young has had from his beginnings in Buffalo Springfield to his recent releases of the Archives. how many people do you think would buy a $400 box set of Graham Nash's or Steven Stills' greatest hits/remastered singles/early rarities? yeah thats what i thought...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online